Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Barry Jackson talks nose tackles fins could draft.

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Barry Jackson talks nose tackles fins could draft.

With recently re-signed Jason Ferguson coming off a quadriceps injury and suspended for the first eight games, the Dolphins are eyeing the Draft for another nose tackle to develop and compete with Paul Soliai, who ``has played some pretty good centers pretty tough'' (according to Tony Sparano) but didn't grade out as well as Ferguson.
    The problem is the Dolphins have so many other needs -- linebacker, safety, receiver -- it's uncertain if they will be able to address nose tackle with picks 12 or 43. Some buzz on nose tackles (we'll cover other needs in future columns):
    • Tennessee's 6-3, 327-pound Dan Williams, once considered a late-first-rounder, has risen so much that ESPN's Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have Miami selecting him 12th. ``Getting Karlos Dansby frees the Dolphins to take Williams, who will help an improved linebacker corps by occupying blockers and disrupting the pass and running games,'' Kiper said.
    But ESPN's K.C. Joyner, who graded Williams' 2009 work, said that though his ``upside is tremendous,'' he's inconsistent and won only one of 17 point-of-attack run blocks he faced versus UF and Auburn. Picking Williams 12th is ``way too high -- he wasn't a dominant player,'' said Sporting News analyst/ex-Browns scout Russ Lande.
    Frank Coyle of draftinsiders.com said, ``You could trade down and get him.'' But former Ravens/Browns scout Daniel Jeremiah of MoveTheSticks.com said Williams can be justified at No. 12 ``because of supply and demand. He can play all three downs. Terrence Cody can play only two.'' Miami booked private sessions with some top prospects (including Texas safety Earl Thomas) but had not with Williams as of Tuesday.
    • Kiper's mock draft has Alabama's Cody at No. 28, though others have him going later. His agent said Miami shows interest, but no visit is scheduled. ``If Nick Saban had to battle him to stay in shape, how is it going to be once he has money in the bank?'' Lande said.
    In Cody's defense, he's lost 21 pounds since January (to 349) and told Alabama staffers he will get to 340. ``You can question his weight or versatility, but he can make other players better,'' Kiper said.
    • North Carolina nose tackle Cam Thomas (331 pounds) would be an option if he lasts to Miami's pick at 74, but Jeremiah warns ``he was not very good on tape.'' But ``as far as explosiveness, size and power, Thomas is there with Williams, though Williams is the better player,'' Lande said. In the middle rounds, keep an eye on UCF's Torell Troup (314), Georgia's Kade Weston (317), East Carolina's Linval Joseph (328) and LSU's Al Woods (309).
    • There are several other tackles around 300 pounds who analysts said are better as 3-4 ends (not a Miami need) than at nose tackle, including two potential first-rounders (UCLA's Brian Price and Penn State's Jared Odrick) and Texas' Lamarr Houston and Georgia's Jeff Owens. Lande said Odrick would be ``adequate'' at nose in a 3-4 but not ideal.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/1...ackle-but.html
    Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    How insightful. Thanks Barry! I had no idea.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boston
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think we are going to target Cam Thomas in the 2nd/3rd round.

but Jeremiah warns ``he was not very good on tape.'' But ``as far as explosiveness, size and power, Thomas is there with Williams, though Williams is the better player,''
    This tells me he HAS the tools but needs to be coached. Perfect to be groomed behind Solai and Fergie for another year.

Proud WR of the Lowell Noreasters AAA semi-pro football team. #19

Proud Firefighter.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Dirty Dirty
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I honestly think Parcells will want nothing to do with Cam Thomas. He's really just not THAT good. He's a pre-draft riser, like there is every year. He's a phony IMO, and I think the FO will see this too.

Give me Jeff Owens in the 3rd or 4th round instead! Now that's a player!

Dream Phins Draft (As of 5/6):
    1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 2. Ju'Waun James 4. De'Anthony Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Brandon Linder 7. Nevin Lawson
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boston
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBow305 View Post
    I honestly think Parcells will want nothing to do with Cam Thomas. He's really just not THAT good. He's a pre-draft riser, like there is every year. He's a phony IMO, and I think the FO will see this too.

Give me Jeff Owens in the 3rd or 4th round instead! Now that's a player!

Cam Thomas reminds me a lot of Ferguson. And while Cam Thomas is not a polished player yet he has all the tools to become one. Dont see how you get off calling him a phony when he hasn't played one down in the NFL yet.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Cody and Cam Thomas.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Owens may be more NFL ready as far as 3-5 rounders, but I think Linval Joseph will be the best NT of this years draft in the long run.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Phins fanatic

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Thomas is a phony because the players he played with at UNC made him look better than he was. They have as many as 4 defensive players who could be first rounders next year alongside him.

Not good on tape. Looks good in pads. Yeah, I'd say he's a guy to avoid. I've disliked Cam Thomas from the beginning.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Cody at #43 ? Why not.

Quote Quote