Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Regardless of who we draft, Fins should trade players for draft picks

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sacramento, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thigpen, Smiley, Ginn, Ricky
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    With as many holes as there are on the roster, Miami needs to be VERY proactive in this effort.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Cunning Linguist

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    keep in mind that for every player we trade for a pick, it creates another hole on the roster
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfreak View Post
    Not that this roster has abundant talent or talent that other teams covet, but as with the J Smiley rumor thing, there may be other players that provide some value to teams that are closer to SB contention than we are and need a piece here and there, either depth or a player with specific skill set i.e Fasano, Ted Ginn, Ronnie Brown, Thigpen, and others.

Philly has made the tough decision and has a stock pile of picks. Remember the Cowboys and their blockbuster trade for a ton of picks? Conversely, look at what trading all their draft picks for Ricky Williams did for the Saints.

Fins have pressing needs at too many positions to go at this and next years draft in a conventional way.

Fins have to find that one game breaking playmaker WR, TE, and RB (yes, I said running back), but also the defense is in need of talent and speed, none of which are available via FA.

So, my vote is that Trifecta packages players like above for as many draft picks as possible.

If not, it will take forever to turn this talentless roster around into contention for a SB.

Just sayin.
    Although it is a deep draft, there is some great talent to be had early on that can immediately contribute at our #12 spot. I don't like the idea of trading down when were in very good position to draft some very good players. I certainly think we're on the right track and all of our needs don't have to be addressed this year. We are a talented and competitive team and will continue to be on our way to being a contender by following the direction we are on. I'll gladly put my Super Bowl hopes on hold for a few years to properly build a team as opposed to others that try and fulfill there needs through one-hit wonder season in FA.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    If there was still a salary cap you would largely be correct.

But in a cap-less environment, draft picks are devauled, since you don't have to worry about paying veterans their high minimums (high relative to younger players).

The only place this new rule doesn't really apply is quarterbacks, since they still have value to other teams and you can't play more than one of them at a time. As such, I would still be in favor of trading Thigpen and Pennington and drafting a low round guy like, say, Crompton, to develop and hopefully trade away some day.

But yes, as CK notes, I think guys like Ronnie, Smiley, Ginn and Merling are all on the block. But unlike other years, we might be seeing more player for player trades since the cap won't impact them as much.
    It's not going to be a cap-less environment forever. I would think the salary cap will be back in 2011. In either case draft picks are never devalued. There will always be value in getting younger players, who for the most part, are cheaper. These are business men who own these NFL teams, maybe 2 or 3 of them would have salaries in excess of $150-160 million but their ticket sales would have to be very expensive and people wouldn't be able to afford going to games and eventually they would start losing revenue and have to cut back. You don't just over pay everyone and try to buy a championship because there's no salary cap...it has to make financial sense.
    Quote Quote