Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Merged: Ex-Spokesmen Lead Charge for White House Reporter Helen Thomas to Be Fired

  1. -1
    FinFan 13's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2010
    Posts:
    2,604
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Merged: Ex-Spokesmen Lead Charge for White House Reporter Helen Thomas to Be Fired

    Last edited by MDFINFAN; 06-07-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: 2 threads on same subject
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    shula_guy's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    8,781
    vCash:
    1054
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I do not agree that she should be fired unless she is effecting the sales or ratings for whichever media outlet that pays her. If that is occuring then an argument on that basis could be made. The lady is entitled to her opinion no matter how offensive it is or to how many. I defend her right as I do anyone elses. I do agree with the article that there is a double standard and she is getting a pass that she would not be getting if she was talking about other select races. I do not approve of that but not because she does not have the right to speak her mind but because everyone has the right to speak thier mind regardless of who it offends. Her comments do not make her a better or worse journalist then she has always been. I never considered her objective and this has done nothing to alter my opinion of her. I will tell you the truth I do not really believe what she said by itself quailifies as proof that she is in fact anti-semtic. She only said she believed the land belongs to the Palenstines and the land they occuppy historically was won by the Isreals in a war. This is not much different then how the rest of the world formed its borders but it certainily is a matter of opinion who is entitled to that land. Sucks for the Palestines because they lost and Isreal has our support. Isreal has a big brother.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    BAMAPHIN 22's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    19,668
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Veteran reporter retires over Israel comments

    Thomas has apologized for the comments, which were captured on video by an interviewer for the website “RabbiLIVE.com.”

    On the May 27 video, Thomas says Israelis should "get the hell out of Palestine," suggesting they go to Germany, Poland or the U.S.

    Those remarks drew sharp criticism from the Obama administration earlier Monday, as well as the cancellation of a high school graduation speech she was to deliver.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37555003/ns/politics/
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    FinFan 13's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2010
    Posts:
    2,604
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shula_guy View Post
    I do not agree that she should be fired unless she is effecting the sales or ratings for whichever media outlet that pays her. If that is occuring then an argument on that basis could be made. The lady is entitled to her opinion no matter how offensive it is or to how many. I defend her right as I do anyone elses. I do agree with the article that there is a double standard and she is getting a pass that she would not be getting if she was talking about other select races. I do not approve of that but not because she does not have the right to speak her mind but because everyone has the right to speak thier mind regardless of who it offends. Her comments do not make her a better or worse journalist then she has always been. I never considered her objective and this has done nothing to alter my opinion of her. I will tell you the truth I do not really believe what she said by itself quailifies as proof that she is in fact anti-semtic. She only said she believed the land belongs to the Palenstines and the land they occuppy historically was won by the Isreals in a war. This is not much different then how the rest of the world formed its borders but it certainily is a matter of opinion who is entitled to that land. Sucks for the Palestines because they lost and Isreal has our support. Isreal has a big brother.
    Actually the article points out many examples of her anti-semitic feelings. As far as being fired, I leave that to Hearst. should she be a member of the WH press staff? That is up for debate, I say hell no. She definitely should at least lose her "honorary" seat. If she didn't do anything wrong, she wouldn't have come out and wrote an apology so quick. She is Lebanese, I believe, and her anti-semitic anti-Isreal statements have been well known. She put her foot squarely in her mouth, and deserves some type of punishment, not another free pass. The WH press is not a position that some aged hate monger should have, IMO. She f'd up and she should suffer the consequences.....period.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    X-Pacolypse's Avatar
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    21,296
    vCash:
    1839
    Loc:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    She deserved it. You can't say those kind of things when you're in the position she is. Long story short, Helen Thomas sucks.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    jared81's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    4,850
    vCash:
    1097
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i dont agree with her. but i dont agree that you should just fire people based on their extreme opinions.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Dolphan7's Avatar
    Desert Dolphin

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    16,492
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Fired? No. Should she retire? at 89....she is more than due.

    Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.




    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1224
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would fire her if it was my paper
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    FinFan 13's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2010
    Posts:
    2,604
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    Fired? No. Should she retire? at 89....she is more than due.

    She did retire....she is done...effective today.

    Like I said I would leave the disciplinary action of her employer to them. She has no place in the WH press staff, and now she is gone, so it is done.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    Dolphan7's Avatar
    Desert Dolphin

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    16,492
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinFan 13 View Post
    She did retire....she is done...effective today.

    Like I said I would leave the disciplinary action of her employer to them. She has no place in the WH press staff, and now she is gone, so it is done.
    LOL...guess it pays to read huh? My bad.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. MERGED: Some Former Phins to Skip White House Visit
    By zach attach in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 84
    Last Post: 09-03-2013, 02:50 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 01:34 PM
  3. Obama sings Happy Birthday to himself (and Helen Thomas)
    By finataxia24 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 08:56 AM
  4. Merged: White House official gleeful for political gain over terrorist plot
    By PressCoverage in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 10:11 PM
  5. Helen Thomas Losing Control?
    By Celtkin in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •