1. this was memento volume II. the only difference b/n the two was the budget and the fact that memento went backwards.
2. what was so confusing about this? i had friends walk out b/c they were so lost. at no point in this movie was i confused in any way. way more perplexed after memento - but i was like 15 - so whatever.
3. spoiler alert. why was the projection of his wife so shocked at the end after finding out that he planted the seed in her head that lead to her jumping off the balcony in reality? this is his subconscious. he already knew all this. he's aware of everything that's going on. i can go along with the wife projection following him around trying to kill him so he'll join her (guilt), but i can't wrap my head around that huge bomb in the end. he hadn't done anything to trick himself out of what actually happened. guilt doesn't explain a projection freaking out over something that he already knew. i didn't get that - and i label this disagreement over confusion by the way.
fabulous movie though. it was funny b/c there was this group that was going for the 5th time b/c they didn't understand it the first 4. they caught me snickering at them while i was waiting for someone to come out of the bathroom - so they demanded an explanation since i was 'so smart'. they were not pleased with how well i grasped it. i make friends everywhere.
It's so lame when people flag a video on youtube. I don't have an account & don't feel like getting one. Meanwhile, there are much worse clips out there that nobody narcs on. I was able to see a few of the clips plus the trailer below. Good stuff.
Love this one.
and myles - that sandwich one is awesome. great find. 'outrageous'.
2. Not a very confusing movie at all if you pay attention to details. Unfortunately most movie goers are used to big boring action flicks with no creativity to them. Memento was much harder to piece together in my opinion.
3. It is his subconcious, he has no control over it. So he was not in control of his projection's (Mal) reaction. We know this because Ariadne asks Cobb to tell his projections to take it easy on her in his drea,, to this he tells her it is his subconcious, he has no control over them.
About your comment on why Miles didn't just take the kids to France to be with their dad, I am making the assumption that Mal's mother was none to happy with Cobb and she is the one who probably had custody of the kids. I make this assumption based on the fact that when he was talking to the kids on the phone, she rushed them off the line and hung up on Cobb. I think she holds resentment towards Cobb for the fact that her daughter committed sucide and she probably blames him.
Inception is the best mvoie of the summer, that and Toy Story 3. Hope my interpretations of the movie helps.
Last edited by DzakkH13; 08-11-2010 at 10:00 PM.
- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
"...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
"If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."
Twitter - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate
3 - he wasn't in denial over what happened. his guilt was why she was there to begin with. that's why she kept trying to kill him. but that didn't explain why she was so appalled at him planting the seed. he consciously knew he did it. he wasn't fooling himself about it. he was aware it happened. i get that he had no control over the projections - but that doesn't explain the reaction. that's like he himself being surprised about something he was already aware of - you know? it just doesn't jive.
the custody thing makes perfect sense. totally forgot the phone call. good one.
Like I said, this is my opinion, but Mal has a shocked reaction because in his subconcious it is the first time he is hearing about he was the one that planted that idea in her head. In the begining of the movie he tells Ariadne that in our dreams, we come up with all the dialogue and all the actions of every projection and yet as we do this, our subconcious creates a genuine reaction, as if they never knew it was going to happen. So even though he knew that it was his doing that lead to her death, his subconcious generates a genuine reaction to how Mal would have acted if it were really her.
Like I said, this is just how I interpreted the movie based on what I saw and heard.
i could understand it if the mal projection got pissed and stabbed him - like it did. that would be something he was expecting - hence it happened. but the surprise? he wasn't in denial. that's my problem.
i guess i can deal with him expecting the mal projection to be shocked at the revelation - then it happening - although there was no indication anywhere else in the movie that something like this COULD happen. my problem was his own projection being shocked at something he already knew, you know?
people that haven't seen this yet are going to read this and heads are going to explode.