Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Techniques and Gaps Explained...

  1. -1
    phinfan33's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    4,311
    vCash:
    2869
    Loc:
    N.W. GA.
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Techniques and Gaps Explained...

    i understand a lot about football,and the responsibilities of the players out on the field,but there are certain things i don't quite get and would like to learn so i can have an even better understanding of the game...if somebody says to me that player X is a 5 Technique DE or is a 3 Technique or even a 0 Technique,or that player Y's responsibility is to control the A gap or B gap...what's the A&B gaps and what is a 5,3,or even 0 technique defensive player and what's his responsibility? some of you may think..damn dude,how do you not understand what all that means...well,i don't and want to learn,so help a fellow fins fan out ok...
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    TedSlimmJr's Avatar
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    9,057
    vCash:
    3924
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The A-gaps are the gaps on either side of the center... between the center and guards...

    The B-gaps are the gaps between the guards and tackles...

    The C-gaps are between the offensive tackles and tight end...

    The D-gaps are outside of the tight end...






    The techniques are in reference to how and where the defensive guy lines up...



    0-technique = lined up nose to nose with the center (a nose tackle)...

    1-technique = lined up in the middle of the A-gap...

    2-technique = lined up nose to nose with the guard..

    3-technique = lined up on the outside shoulder of the RG... responsible for the B-gap. A "one-gapper".... (think Warren Sapp, John Randle, etc.)

    4-technique = lined up nose to nose with the offensive tackle..

    5-technique = lined up on th outside shoulder of the offensive tackle (a RDE in a 3-4 defense)

    6-technique = lined up on the tight end..

    7-technique = lined up on the inside shoulder of the tight end and outside shoulder of the offensive tackle... (think Jared Allen, Michael Strahan, etc.)

    8-technique = lined up on the "ghost" on the outside shoulder of the tight end..

    9-technique = nose lined up on the outside shoulder of the tight end...
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    sinPHIN's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2007
    Posts:
    5,748
    vCash:
    5844
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    The A-gaps are the gaps on either side of the center... between the center and guards...

    The B-gaps are the gaps between the guards and tackles...

    The C-gaps are between the offensive tackles and tight end...

    The D-gaps are outside of the tight end...






    The techniques are in reference to how and where the defensive guy lines up...



    0-technique = lined up nose to nose with the center (a nose tackle)...

    1-technique = lined up in the middle of the A-gap...

    2-technique = lined up nose to nose with the guard..

    3-technique = lined up on the outside shoulder of the RG... responsible for the B-gap. A "one-gapper".... (think Warren Sapp, John Randle, etc.)

    4-technique = lined up nose to nose with the offensive tackle..

    5-technique = lined up on th outside shoulder of the offensive tackle (a RDE in a 3-4 defense)

    6-technique = lined up on the tight end..

    7-technique = lined up on the inside shoulder of the tight end and outside shoulder of the offensive tackle... (think Jared Allen, Michael Strahan, etc.)

    8-technique = lined up on the "ghost" on the outside shoulder of the tight end..

    9-technique = nose lined up on the outside shoulder of the tight end...
    yup
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2009
    Posts:
    1,452
    vCash:
    3460
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Beat me to the explaining and you did an excellent job
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    phinfan33's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2005
    Posts:
    4,311
    vCash:
    2869
    Loc:
    N.W. GA.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ted,Thank You for that...i knew there was a 5,3,&0 technique,but i didn't know there were other techniques..but again,ty...
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Myles Fynch's Avatar
    durka durka

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2006
    Posts:
    7,058
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Zombieland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hmmm.... maybe the mods would allow an "X's and O's Primer" to be a sticky. A post like Ted's would belong there, IMO.
    .

    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    JCane's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    15,964
    vCash:
    9520
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Teddy Slimm is a beast. Give this man a raise.

    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    BobDole's Avatar
    Paddy's Pub

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    6,969
    vCash:
    1176
    Loc:
    Boom City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    this one needs to be stickied for sure. i even get confused with the techniques from time to time - especially when it's CK and slimm having their weekly pissing contests. great job explaining it slimm.


    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    Myles Fynch's Avatar
    durka durka

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2006
    Posts:
    7,058
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Zombieland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BobDole View Post
    this one needs to be stickied for sure. i even get confused with the techniques from time to time - especially when it's CK and slimm having their weekly pissing contests. great job explaining it slimm.
    No kidding. In my less smart days I thought "technique=# of gap responsibilities." Had I known there were at least ten of them, I (probably) would have figured out that was impossible.

    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    BobDole's Avatar
    Paddy's Pub

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    6,969
    vCash:
    1176
    Loc:
    Boom City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles Fynch View Post
    No kidding. In my less smart days I thought "technique=# of gap responsibilities." Had I known there were at least ten of them, I (probably) would have figured out that was impossible.

    in some of those threads where CK and slimm go on for pages about this stuff - i have to re-read some of them b/c i get lost. talking about 5-techniques controlling the C-gap and so on - too much of that jargon and i start feeling real stupid.
    Last edited by BobDole; 08-17-2010 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Year 3 - Filling The Gaps & Adding Depth
    By 3rdandinches in forum NFL Draft Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 08:21 AM
  2. Missed the game..saw highlights...fill in the gaps please
    By dolphinator86 in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 10:11 AM
  3. Our receviers need new techniques!!!
    By xSxPxHx in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 03:10 AM
  4. D-line techniques explained
    By thedayafter in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 10:52 AM
  5. An opportunity to fill our two biggest gaps now.
    By vegasphan in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 04:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •