Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: I'm Commish of my league and I allowed people to trade draft picks...am I and idiot?

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks

I'm Commish of my league and I allowed people to trade draft picks...am I and idiot?

I let some people trade draft picks so now one guy has 3 eighth round draft picks and a few others have multiple picks in the middle rounds. Did I just screw my self and the others that didn't make any trades out of any shot at winning the league?
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not necessarily...I allow people to trade picks, but it is just straight up pick for a pick. Meaning that if someone trades their 3rd overall pick for the 6th overall pick, both teams have that for the whole draft. Not much usually happens, but we did have our first trade this year. It was a 3 team trade.

So a little bit of a headache for you to put the teams together, but you didn't give away the championship.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't think it was a good idea.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I use draft pick trading all the time every year and I can tell you for a fact it won't screw up your draft or the balance of your league. We actually allow trading to stay true to what the NFL does meaning we allow unbalanced trades. For example: I traded the 2nd overall pick three years ago for the 4th overall pick and a 10th rounder. I traded the 4th overall for the 8th overall and a 7th rounder. Then traded that for the 12th and a swap of 2's. I came in 3rd in that league. The year before I managed to complete my entire draft, 17 rounds, in round 7. I came in 2nd. The winner made no trades at all.

The thing is you simply can't let it get out of control where one team is trading their first for a 3rd to stack someone elses team. So someone trades a 7th rounder to move up a round. It balances out because while they may suddenly have a higher 3rd round pick, they still lose that 7th and the guy that moved out of the 3rd or down in the 3rd doesn't have that selection but instead has a 7th.

I find draft pick trading makes the time leading up to the draft a whole lot more fun and inventive and creative. In all my drafts with the exception of public leagues, there is draft pick trading. Sometimes it helps but more often than not, it doesn't help at all.

No you didn't screw yourself or anyone else in the league. Besides, whats the difference between letting someone trade a 3rd and 6th round pick for a 2nd compared to trading a player drafted in the 3rd and 6th for a player taken in round 2 after the draft? Names? there isn't any.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree with SwimminIndy, I allow teams to trade slots as much as they want predraft (usually a deadline of one or two days prior to draft time). Seems to keep them happy. Allowing them to trade specific picks for other pick(s) just seems like a huge headache unless it is a live draft and everyone has tokens for each pick.
    Quote Quote