Alright guys after a time to sit back and relax and realistically look at the game I will offer some opinions, positive, and negative. I am generally Super Optimistic some of you may have noticed, so take that into consideration when reading the following. Please bear with me if this is too long...
First the positives.
1. Our overall defense-We swarmed the ball everywhere. We hit hard. And if it wasn't for 1 bad play (the Td) this would have been a near flawless Defensive performance.
2. Our front 3 or 4 pressure- I thought the push was fantastic. We saw the Bills oline getting shoved off the line instantly all game.
3. Jason Allen-He just stepped up thats all. 1 int drop from being a perfect game. And the long ball he got beat on he played like a seasoned veteran. These plays happen to all CB's and I thought he handled it well.
4. Chad Henne- Showed accuracy, arm strength, poise, and the ability to go through his progressions. I think the combination of a pretty good secondary, a road opener, and the first game at full speed he showed some real potential. Now if we can get Henning to release the chains we may have something.
5. Cameron Wake- Wasn't a huge stat game but he pressured a lot and showed some smarts on knocking down balls. I saw signs that show he can be a little more than just a pass rusher. With that said I think he will be a heck of a pass rusher for us this year.
And the Negatives
1. We left at least 38 seconds on the clock on our second to last drive. Not to mention the Henne audible to pass. We should have easily burned the 2 minute warning and a couple timeouts on that possesion. If we are gonna be a defense/run team we have to manage clock at the end of the game.
2. Our offensive playcall. We still seem to have a knack for killing drives. Henne has showed he can manage games. Not that I am against the power game mentallity but we can still release the reigns and quit with the boneheaded momentum killing calls.
3. Hartline- He wasn't horrible but he really wasn't there. I really think that Bess will see a lot of balls headed his way if Hartline doesn't step up. With that said. It was game 1.
4-Special Teams- Fields had a good kick when we needed it but it wasn't his best game. Carpenter missed a kick he makes and had a kickoff go out of bounds. Our return D was Ok. But I am hoping that the return game improves. It would be nice for that to be a threat rather than just hoping that we don't turn it over.
5. Dropped Ints that cost us most likely 14 points. Good teams take advantage of these. I hope that we do so in the future
I kind of had to stretch to find 5 negatives. But there you go. I am sure that I could name a few more positives but that is good for the thread. Bottom line is we won a game 1 on the road against a Division opponent. I don't think the Bills will win a lot of games this year but they are decent defensively and I think that Running Back combo could give folks trouble down the line.