Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back-to-back AFC East losses and upcoming schedule mean no playoffs for Dolphins

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Back-to-back AFC East losses and upcoming schedule mean no playoffs for Dolphins

"Every goal that we have as a football team is still obtainable," Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said Tuesday.
    Is he talking about the goal of winning the Super Bowl, or the simpler goal of getting off a punt without the sickening thud of resistance?

There were times during that 41-14 drubbing by the New England Patriots that one seemed as unlikely as the other.

This doesn't look like a playoff team anymore, and I don't believe that it will again. The 2-2 start isn't that much of a problem, but the next four games on the schedule? Good luck keeping the record at .500.

We're talking Green Bay, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and Baltimore, with only the Steelers at home. Chad Henne could pass for 300 yards in each of those games and lose them all, which has become the disturbing trend. Whether he remains as starting quarterback for the rest of the year is as much a test of Sparano's long-term job security as it is the quarterback's.

Whether the Dolphins retain a legitimate shot at the postseason, meanwhile, is a mathematical equation in which "x" equals a minimum of eight more victories and "y" equals "Why not?"

Miami won the division two years ago after a 2-2 start slid all the way to 2-4, but that rally came against the easiest schedule allowed. The NFL prescribes that sort of extreme competitive antidote to franchises that are deathly ill, and there is no better definition for the state of the Dolphins following Cam Cameron's 1-15 campaign in 2007.

In all of Dolphins history there are just two other teams that reached the playoffs from 2-2. Don Shula had one of them in 1978 and Jimmy Johnson had the other in 1997. In neither case did any of the early losses come at home.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/...e=rss_dolphins
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Enter at your own risk...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Booooooooooooooooo! Gotta keep the faith. And take it one week at a time. We are only 1/4 of the way through the season!!
    Say No to 1st Round RBs!

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We still get to play them again this year...Its too early to start saying that we are going to miss the playoffs. Anything can happen...Noone thought we would win the AFC east after the 1-15 season, but we did it...
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philly
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its laughable that anyone can say we are out of the playoff race already. We swept the Jets last year and they made the playoffs...we didn't. Last year we started 0-3 and looked pretty bad yet still managed to hang in the playoff race until the very end of the season.

You have to play out the season to see what happens. If we lose these next 4 games, then people can proclaim the season over. Until then, this article sucks.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Disgruntled

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Purgatory
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Does this team really belong in the playoffs the way they have played this season? Who cares at this point. I'd rather spend the rest of this season weeding out the garbage on this team.
    "I told the team 7-9 is mediocre, and mediocrity is not going to be accepted here" - Tony Sparano

"Well the cool breeze came on Tuesday, And the corn's a bumper crop
    And the fields are full of dancin' Full of singin' and romancin'
    The music never stopped." - Bob Weir

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Please win another title before I die

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Akron, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I feel better now.
    "So much hate for the Jets and Pats, so little time." - Me

"My mother used to say 'When you win, say very little. When you lose, say less.' "Bart Scott said too much today. When a team beats you twice, give them credit and go home." - Tony Dungy
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philly
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceMountain16 View Post
    Does this team really belong in the playoffs the way they have played this season? Who cares at this point. I'd rather spend the rest of this season weeding out the garbage on this team.
    Last year started off like crap and they got their stuff together...enough to make a run to the playoffs. Even falling short, who cares. How could you possibly say thru 4 games whether or not they "belong" in the playoffs? If it worked that way the Chiefs are Super Bowl champions. Way, way, WAY too early to be calling it a season.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    TANNERECTION!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Last edited by MadDog 88; 10-06-2010 at 03:02 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This article blows. I love how he cherry picks to prove his point. I love his pointing out the 2-2 Dolphins history of playoff appreances! In five of the past nine seasons, a team that has started 2-2 or worse has advanced to the Super Bowl. And three of those clubs – 2001 New England (1-3), 2003 New England (2-2) and the 2007 New York Giants (2-2) – went on to win the Super Bowl.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Dolphin fan since '72

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Northern California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just want this team to start playing good mistake free football consistently.
    Quote Quote