Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a 50" HDTV- which one should I get??

1. -1
    Football Guru

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks

Looking to buy a 50" HDTV- which one should I get??

I want one that has no motion blur for football games and also is decent with standard definition channels. Thanks for your suggestions on what to get!!!
    Please God, let me see 1 Dolphins Superbowl victory before I die.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DefensiveEnd76 View Post
    I want one that has no motion blur for football games and also is decent with standard definition channels. Thanks for your suggestions on what to get!!!
    It's been a few years since I worked at Best Buy, so I'm not up to date on specific models. However, as far as brands go, I would definitely stick to Samsung, LG, or Sony. Toshiba is good too, although I don't know if they make TVs that large. Sony is gonna be more expensive than the other three, but you're really paying for the name. If it's better than LG or Samsung, it'll be by a slim margin. Personally, I have a Samsung. They are reasonably priced, and are of excellent quality. That's my two cents.

On a side note, I normally oppose those extended warranties. However, on TVs, especially big ones, it is worth the investment. They are irritatingly fragile, and you usually spend about the same amount as the warranty if you have to use the manufacturer's warranty with shipping costs and other fees they find a way to charge you. If you get the extended warranty, the store you bought it from pockets all those fees and handles the whole process for you...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Football Guru

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks for your imput!!!!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would have to agree with Locke. Although I never worked with them, Samsung imo is the best deal out there. Even if you have to spend a little more than the lower brands, it is more than worth it.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Resident Montana Griz pimp for Miami :)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Great Falls, MT
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I also agree with Samsung, i in fact have a 50" Samsung plasma HDTV, and it's fantastic, even the over air channels are stunning, and i've yet to have a single issue with it *knocks on wood*
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Panasonic makes good stuff.. I would go with Plasma instead of LCD as well...I know Panasonic is your Grandfathers tv but they are doing cutting Edge stuff and are 2nd only to sony IMO..
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunaphish429 View Post
    Panasonic makes good stuff.. I would go with Plasma instead of LCD as well...I know Panasonic is your Grandfathers tv but they are doing cutting Edge stuff and are 2nd only to sony IMO..
    I disagree. Plasmas are unnecessarily expensive and extremely fragile. When they do malfunction, they are so damn heavy that it costs a fortune to ship them to be fixed. Plus, the repairs themselves are expensive since the plasma itself is costly. I'd buy an LCD over a plasma every time. The picture quality you get on an LCD is just as crisp as a plasma, and the TVS are MUCH lighter and cheaper to fix. Best of all, they are much more durable. The plasma in the screens is prone to freezing if the room gets too cold, for example. There's a good reason that all these manufacturers are making LCDs instead of plasmas these days. Of course, its been a while since I sold them so these may have changed. But the last time I was in Best Buy, I remember seeing a single isle of plasmas and something like 5-6 of LCDs. That says something I think.

I don't know much about Panasonics presently. They were behind the curve back when I was selling TVs, but they could have narrowed the gap since then. I can't see them being cheaper than Samsungs though. Not without sacrificing some quality...
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I disagree. Plasmas are unnecessarily expensive and extremely fragile. When they do malfunction, they are so damn heavy that it costs a fortune to ship them to be fixed. Plus, the repairs themselves are expensive since the plasma itself is costly. I'd buy an LCD over a plasma every time. The picture quality you get on an LCD is just as crisp as a plasma, and the TVS are MUCH lighter and cheaper to fix. Best of all, they are much more durable. The plasma in the screens is prone to freezing if the room gets too cold, for example. There's a good reason that all these manufacturers are making LCDs instead of plasmas these days. Of course, its been a while since I sold them so these may have changed. But the last time I was in Best Buy, I remember seeing a single isle of plasmas and something like 5-6 of LCDs. That says something I think.

I don't know much about Panasonics presently. They were behind the curve back when I was selling TVs, but they could have narrowed the gap since then. I can't see them being cheaper than Samsungs though. Not without sacrificing some quality...

Locke in the past you would have been correct but these days its no contest. Plasma's do not have the problems that they used to have. and to me they look so much better than an LCD. Lcd's look horrible in SD. They do look pretty good in HD tho. I am a huge fan of plasma's tho i dont own one.. I actually still have a 30 inch flat tube tv, made by Phillips..I have had it for 5 years now still going strong....Next time I get a tv I am opting for plasma.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have a 50" 1080i and a 65" 1080p. They are both plasmas and they are both Panasonics. They are great! From my research and from talking to salespeople at a few different stores, Panasonic are one of the top brands these days.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Football Guru

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anyone own a Panasonic Viera Plasma?? I have heard they rank near the top in Plasma TVs and a 50" one can be bought for less then $800 now.
    Quote Quote