Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 9 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PoFo Members Football Sub-Forum

1. -81
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I wouldnt be mad about Ingram because we really need a RB. My thing is that we shouldnt be using 1st rounders on positions that are very easy to fill with later picks or even UDFAs. Good WRs, QBs, defensive difference makers, ect. are much harder to find in the later rounds.

Quote Quote  

2. -82
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Yikes dude. Seriously? Young is a 9 to 5 QB that doesn't work hard at learning to be a better QB. He's immature and is seriously lacking in the leadership department. Young wants to do the minimum possible and live of of his talent and that won't cut it in this league. Bring him in and you're asking the coaching staff to spend all of their time trying to coach up Young (who really doesn't care) and very little time coaching Henne. Young needs a babysitter, and this team is already babysitting a wide reciever. That's our quota.

I think you guys are seriously underesitimating Young. Fisher is setting him up to fail and with a change of scenery I think hr is going to be a much different QB attitude wise. Young does not need a babysitter.That is just media hype. He needs a staff that believes in him. He is also better then any QB that will be availbble to uus. If we have a shot at getting him we should make him an offer
    Quote Quote  

3. -83
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinFan 13 View Post
    Are you being serious?. Ingram is much more compact, which I like in a RB, and he plays elite opponents every week in the SEC. I can't say the same for the Big East. He has also won the Heisman. As far as I know, prior to this year Powell has ONE hundred yard game! Now I can't say that I watch alot of Louisville football, but are you just joking around or what? You have to be pulling the Homer card...

The real reason I like Ingram for our pick, is it makes the most sense. If you can give me a better prospect, that also fills one of our offensive needs, and is likely available when we pick(say between 11-16) I would listen. Right now I can't find a better pick. Obviously if we trade down or up that would change. I am just being as realistic as I can be.

Edit: After watching those few highlights, Powell seems what I remember. He runs a little too upright for my liking. He has good burst, and you could be right he may be worth a mid-late round pick. On those big runs though, he really only showed good vision on one. The others were just gaping holes, and the 85 yarder was simply horrid tackling. I won't judge him on a single highlight reel though.
    Its about value. Is Ingram good value at #10? Or a RB like Powell in the mid to late rounds. Maybe trade back and pick up our 2nd rounder again and take Williams from VT? I just don't think Ingram has a skill set that would warrent his value at #10 or #12. A Heisman trophy means nothing. Its like being voted "most likely to succeed" in high school. It very rarely goes to the very best college player anymore. If it did then last year Suh would have won it.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

4. -84
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinFan 13 View Post
    I would take Ingram at 12-15 all day. He doesn't have the Speed of Chris Johnson, or the "beastlyness" of AP, but what he does have is great Vision. Better Vision than both those guys. He is plenty fast enough, good burst, nice lateral quickness, and GREAT vision. Ingram is about as close to a lock for a great NFL career as anyone in that draft range.(Per OUR needs)
    I just think in the NFL today the RB's value has been reduced that unless you find someone with unique physical attributes you don't touch them with high round picks. We don't have 400 carry backs anymore. Last year Matthews was pretty much a sure thing, and a backup fullback has upstaged him. The year before it was Donald Brown. Before that came the great McFadden. All appear to be quality players and should have long careers in this league but from what their teams have gotten from them they might as well have drafted a backup LB or S.

The Pats win with a bunch of scrubs in the backfield, the Jets with a guy who was washed up a year ago. Arian Foster is the leading rusher in the NFL. The common theme is heavy investment in building a dominant offensive line.
    Quote Quote  

5. -85
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I wouldnt be mad about Ingram because we really need a RB. My thing is that we shouldnt be using 1st rounders on positions that are very easy to fill with later picks or even UDFAs. Good WRs, QBs, defensive difference makers, ect. are much harder to find in the later rounds.

It all boils down to value at your draft position. You won't find another Ingram in the later rounds. I think we need to go heavy on offense. I am not tied to picking him. At this point, he does represent the best value fit at where we will likely be drafting.
    Quote Quote  

6. -86
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Its about value. Is Ingram good value at #10? Or a RB like Powell in the mid to late rounds. Maybe trade back and pick up our 2nd rounder again and take Williams from VT? I just don't think Ingram has a skill set that would warrent his value at #10 or #12. A Heisman trophy means nothing. Its like being voted "most likely to succeed" in high school. It very rarely goes to the very best college player anymore. If it did then last year Suh would have won it.
    A heisman trophy is not a popularity contest. It means you were the one of the best players in college football that year, and the fact that he won it in his sophomore year speaks volumes. As far as Suh, defensive players rarely win the Heisman. I can't say why that is, but it just is.

I prefaced saying I would take Ingram IF we stay put (assuming we pick between 11-16). I am definitely not opposed to trading down. Ingram has elite skills. There is no denying that. However if we can trade down and pick up multiple picks, I would do it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -87
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig View Post
    I just think in the NFL today the RB's value has been reduced that unless you find someone with unique physical attributes you don't touch them with high round picks. We don't have 400 carry backs anymore. Last year Matthews was pretty much a sure thing, and a backup fullback has upstaged him. The year before it was Donald Brown. Before that came the great McFadden. All appear to be quality players and should have long careers in this league but from what their teams have gotten from them they might as well have drafted a backup LB or S.

The Pats win with a bunch of scrubs in the backfield, the Jets with a guy who was washed up a year ago. Arian Foster is the leading rusher in the NFL. The common theme is heavy investment in building a dominant offensive line.

I agree to a point. You need to draft quality in the first, regardless of position, and RB have a high bust ratio just like QBs.

Now, if everyone wants to pick someone else, where are all the other options? Nobody has yet to tell me who would be a better pick. If we draft a front seven defensive guy, it will be a huge disappointment. We need offense badly.

So again, who is a better choice for our offense at the 11-16 range? I would put a little more credence to the "don't draft a RB high" school of thought, IF someone actually posted a likely better choice. Trade down is not a valid answer, because there is zero accountability there. Yeah if we can trade down, maybe. But there is no certainty that that will happen.

Here is a little something for those of you who don't think Ingram has elite skills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_sDpMOHECo&feature=fvst
    Last edited by FinFan 13; 11-27-2010 at 09:06 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -88
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who knows...... I'm sure leading up to the draft you'll be able to find countless draft gurus who will extol the virtues of whatever player they have a crush on that day after watching an hour of highlights and looking up their combine numbers. All I know is from watching the Parcell's show that for better or worse they have a general strategy on how to build a team and they're sticking to it and they'll pretty much ignore what anyone thinks outside their little circle. With that in mind I'm pretty confident they'll find someone they can work with in the first round. Long, Davis, and Odrick all look to be quality cornerstones so long as this crew stays in town.
    Quote Quote  

9. -89
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Any number of the top tier WRs would make me happy in the first. Pair one of them with Marshall, along with Bess in the slot, and you have the makings of an elite passing attack. With a threat like that, it doesn't matter what kind of RB you have, they'll have some sort of success. Besides, with Marion Barber set to be out of Dallas this offseason, I can almost guarantee he will be a Dolphin next year. This regime LOVES Marion Barber...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

10. -90
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig View Post
    Who knows...... I'm sure leading up to the draft you'll be able to find countless draft gurus who will extol the virtues of whatever player they have a crush on that day after watching an hour of highlights and looking up their combine numbers. All I know is from watching the Parcell's show that for better or worse they have a general strategy on how to build a team and they're sticking to it and they'll pretty much ignore what anyone thinks outside their little circle. With that in mind I'm pretty confident they'll find someone they can work with in the first round. Long, Davis, and Odrick all look to be quality cornerstones so long as this crew stays in town.

"this crew" hasn't done a very good job here so far.

If you listen to the talking heads I guess you could come to that conclusion. I prefer to make my own evaluations. Ingram is a star in the making, Prince is a good WR, Peterson will be an elite CB, Luck is going to be the best QB in the NFL in three years. We could use any of those guys, the problem is Ingram will be the only one who MIGHT be available when we pick, I will be shocked if he makes it past the 10-12 range, so we probably will miss out anyway.

Unless we go 5-11, or 6-10 we will be picking in the 15-18 range. Despite how terrible we have looked I don't see us finishing any worse than 7-9.
    Quote Quote