Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PoFo Members Football Sub-Forum

1. -91
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinFan 13 View Post
    "this crew" hasn't done a very good job here so far.
    That is highly debatable. This staff has done better then Saban and Cameron's staffs.
    Quote Quote  

2. -92
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shula_guy View Post
    That is highly debatable. This staff has done better then Saban and Cameron's staffs.

My statement is not debatable. They have fielded a mediocre team at best. If you think that is a good job, I don't have much of a response for ya.

If being better than Saban or Camoron is your gauge for doing a good job, come on bro, raise the bar.

An argument could be made that this team has regressed each year under this staff, I hardly call that a good job. I never said they have been awful, but a good job? I think not.
    Quote Quote  

3. -93
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My statement is not debatable. They have fielded a mediocre team at best. If you think that is a good job, I don't have much of a response for ya.

If being better than Saban or Camoron is your gauge for doing a good job, come on bro, raise the bar.

An argument could be made that this team has regressed each year under this staff, I hardly call that a good job. I never said they have been awful, but a good job? I think not.

I just think your judgement is premature. This team is better today then when they got here. How much better remains to bee seen.
    Quote Quote  

4. -94
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shula_guy View Post
    I just think your judgement is premature. This team is better today then when they got here. How much better remains to bee seen.
    In a nutshell, our HC is supposedly an O-line guy. Our O-line has gone down hill each year. That says it all for me. Sporano lost me when he benched Henne instead of firing Henning. At this point, I don't like what I've seen.
    Quote Quote  

5. -95
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    "this crew" hasn't done a very good job here so far.
    I think they've done a pretty good job with the personnel so far and the talent base, particularly the young talent, is far superior now than it was 4 yrs ago. Wake, Long, Davis, Starks, Dansby, Marshall, and Bess all were very good pickups and should form the core of this team for the next decade.

Of course that means nothing without a QB, just as all good things Jimmy Johnson did went for naught when he couldn't find a running game. But at least me for I'll take this rebuilt product over the slow decline during the 'Stache era, and the twin disasters that followed.

If you listen to the talking heads I guess you could come to that conclusion. I prefer to make my own evaluations. Ingram is a star in the making, Prince is a good WR, Peterson will be an elite CB, Luck is going to be the best QB in the NFL in three years. We could use any of those guys, the problem is Ingram will be the only one who MIGHT be available when we pick, I will be shocked if he makes it past the 10-12 range, so we probably will miss out anyway.
    I know the names and have watched most of them play, albeit sparingly. I do think its foolish and bordering on Kiperlike stating what you know players will do on the next level, since none of us have any clue. People who devote their professional lives to analyzing a small subset of the college world end up being wrong 60% of the time in the first few rounds, 80-90% of the time for the rest. The mental aspect is almost impossible to judge, along with how a 20 yr old kid will mature over the next few years, and whether his past actions have anything to do with his future performance on or off the field.

Fans demand and so sport tv personalities and amateur fortune tellers provide endless analysis, and we all supplement this with our own beliefs. But we don't know, and lets not pretend we do. If you can hit on more than half of your predictions then I suggest you go publish your work and apply for a scouting job, since that's better than what anyone else is doing at the moment.
    Quote Quote  

6. -96
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks

This group has done the best job drafting since Jimmy Johnson. Sure the Pat White pick was puzzling and they should have left Patick Turner to disappoint some other team, but all in all they have drafted very well. Is their offensive philosphy outdated, yes. Does Sparano have clock managment difficulties at times, yes. There are bones to pick with this regime, but drafting is not one of them.

When thinking about this situation, I always throw out our AFC East championship year. That was the perfect storm for us. Unusually weak schedule, Brady going down, surprise effectiveness of the wildcat, Farve playing like old tired Farve, etc. In a normal season we wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs that year. IMHO it actually set us back a bit because it dropped our draft pick lower than it really should have been. Sure we ended up with Vontae, but could we have used Orakpo, Maclin, Mack, or Harvin more? I think we could have.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

7. -97
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I just want us to beat the jets.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

8. -98
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i'm just cool getting the game on CBS. We're a grumpy team right now, we'll pound the raiders.

it will probably result in oakland via NE picking our favorite player in next years draft one slot before our pick.
    Quote Quote  

9. -99
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    while i'm on a roll, we're kickin' the crap out of the browns next week.

we're still not over our anger issues

kendall langford is a bad man. davone bess is scary good.

chad henne is still in the building
    Quote Quote  

10. -100
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig View Post
    I think they've done a pretty good job with the personnel so far and the talent base, particularly the young talent, is far superior now than it was 4 yrs ago. Wake, Long, Davis, Starks, Dansby, Marshall, and Bess all were very good pickups and should form the core of this team for the next decade.

Of course that means nothing without a QB, just as all good things Jimmy Johnson did went for naught when he couldn't find a running game. But at least me for I'll take this rebuilt product over the slow decline during the 'Stache era, and the twin disasters that followed.

I know the names and have watched most of them play, albeit sparingly. I do think its foolish and bordering on Kiperlike stating what you know players will do on the next level, since none of us have any clue. People who devote their professional lives to analyzing a small subset of the college world end up being wrong 60% of the time in the first few rounds, 80-90% of the time for the rest. The mental aspect is almost impossible to judge, along with how a 20 yr old kid will mature over the next few years, and whether his past actions have anything to do with his future performance on or off the field.

Fans demand and so sport tv personalities and amateur fortune tellers provide endless analysis, and we all supplement this with our own beliefs. But we don't know, and lets not pretend we do. If you can hit on more than half of your predictions then I suggest you go publish your work and apply for a scouting job, since that's better than what anyone else is doing at the moment.

The difference here is I have the luxury of focusing on only the few areas that suit our team. The analysts you speak of must do that for 32 NFL teams and 100+ college schools. No one could analyze that much info. Gil Brandt is about as close to 50% as you'll get, and he isn't quite there either.

I'll go on record right now and say Mark Ingram will be the best RB at the next level out of this draft. It's not even close. Write it down.
    Quote Quote