Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Official PoFo Members Football Sub-Forum

1. -101
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    This group has done the best job drafting since Jimmy Johnson. Sure the Pat White pick was puzzling and they should have left Patick Turner to disappoint some other team, but all in all they have drafted very well. Is their offensive philosphy outdated, yes. Does Sparano have clock managment difficulties at times, yes. There are bones to pick with this regime, but drafting is not one of them.

When thinking about this situation, I always throw out our AFC East championship year. That was the perfect storm for us. Unusually weak schedule, Brady going down, surprise effectiveness of the wildcat, Farve playing like old tired Farve, etc. In a normal season we wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs that year. IMHO it actually set us back a bit because it dropped our draft pick lower than it really should have been. Sure we ended up with Vontae, but could we have used Orakpo, Maclin, Mack, or Harvin more? I think we could have.
    Again guys...I didn't say they were awful.

Lou, I agree with what you say here. To me they have been the best regime since Shula, and that includes JJ,IMO. However that isn't saying much. If Sparano would fire Henning, it would go a long way toward restoring my faith...
    Quote Quote  

2. -102
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinFan 13 View Post
    Again guys...I didn't say they were awful.

Lou, I agree with what you say here. To me they have been the best regime since Shula, and that includes JJ,IMO. However that isn't saying much. If Sparano would fire Henning, it would go a long way toward restoring my faith...
    I'm 99.9% sure that Henning will "retire" after this season. Hopefully David Lee will go with him. The big question should be if they are going to bring in an OC and QB coach that can help Henne take the next step and that know how to use Brandon Marshall. Because clearly Henning doesn't know how to use a featured offensive player and have some how damaged (hopefully not beyond repair) Henne. This coming off season is the biggest in a long time for the Fins (and the NFL for that matter). What happens with the new CBA? Can the Fins find their missing pieces in the draft (they haven't show a good BA when picking FAs).
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

3. -103
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure that Henning will "retire" after this season. Hopefully David Lee will go with him. The big question should be if they are going to bring in an OC and QB coach that can help Henne take the next step and that know how to use Brandon Marshall. Because clearly Henning doesn't know how to use a featured offensive player and have some how damaged (hopefully not beyond repair) Henne. This coming off season is the biggest in a long time for the Fins (and the NFL for that matter). What happens with the new CBA? Can the Fins find their missing pieces in the draft (they haven't show a good BA when picking FAs).

That is the problem for me. The guy has been retired twice, and openly said he doesn't care about losing his job because of this. Sparano should FIRE him. He has clearly packed it in already. I don't think David Lee could do any worse for the rest of this year. Though I think if Henning were fired Sparano would assume the playcalling. He did it in Dallas quite well.

Yes, this off-season will be huge. Which is why i am already focusing on the draft. The FA picture won't be clear until after the season, but the draft talk can start now. let's be realistic, we aren't going to the playoffs. I bleed aqua and orange, but i am no blind homer. I see the bigger picture. We are a mediocre team that needs a few pieces to take the next step. Our D is set. We get W. Allen, Odrick, Merling, and Edds(who I like) back from injury next year. This draft should focus solely on offense, unless there is a glaring BPA staring us in the face in the mid rounds.
    Quote Quote  

4. -104
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't know what's happened in Davie the last few weeks, but I'm loving this new Chad Henne. He is taking shots downfield, I'm seeing him look off his receivers more often, and he is changing his protection schemes. The best thing, in my opinion, was when he audibled Wallace to a slant on that blitz yesterday. As far as I can remember, that's the first time I've seen him audible. That tells me one of two things. Either Henning and Sparano are finally allowing him to audible, or he is starting to show up as a leader and deciding to just do things like that as needed. Either way, its good for the offense. It might be too late to salvage this season, but a new confident Henne and a competent OC could mean some big things for this offense next season...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

5. -105
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinFan 13 View Post
    The difference here is I have the luxury of focusing on only the few areas that suit our team. The analysts you speak of must do that for 32 NFL teams and 100+ college schools. No one could analyze that much info. Gil Brandt is about as close to 50% as you'll get, and he isn't quite there either.

I'll go on record right now and say Mark Ingram will be the best RB at the next level out of this draft. It's not even close. Write it down.
    The analysts I'm speaking of are the scouts for NFL teams, who spend their working lives looking at specific needs for one team and usually focusing on a certain conference or portion of one. I'm sure these guys watch every play that every top player participates in many times over, speak to coaches and teammates, watch practices, send the players through individual workouts, and even do background checks.

After all that they end up with less than a 40% hit rate in the first three rounds. There are simply too many variables.....you cannot predict what happens with a 20 yr old kid when you hand him 10 mil and let him loose into the world.
    Quote Quote  

6. -106
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferretsquig View Post
    The analysts I'm speaking of are the scouts for NFL teams, who spend their working lives looking at specific needs for one team and usually focusing on a certain conference or portion of one. I'm sure these guys watch every play that every top player participates in many times over, speak to coaches and teammates, watch practices, send the players through individual workouts, and even do background checks.

After all that they end up with less than a 40% hit rate in the first three rounds. There are simply too many variables.....you cannot predict what happens with a 20 yr old kid when you hand him 10 mil and let him loose into the world.
    They also DO NOT have their choice of who they take. There are 31 other teams picking as well, right?

I am not arguing about the effectiveness of scouts. I have no idea how we got on this tangent.

I just predicted Ingram will be by far the best RB in this draft at the next level. If you disagree with that, we shall see.

You are correct that no-one has a crystal ball, but judging skill sets is not the same as judging character. Sure, any kid who get's paid multi-millions could lose interest. That is true.
    Quote Quote  

7. -107
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Now that we're in December, I think it is time to keep an eye on this link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standin...yoffrace/seeds

I find it helps me keep better track of our relative standing after each week of games. An implosion of both the Patriots and Jets seems highly improbable, so it looks like there's no way of winning the division. We're stuck in the AFC East, so winning out is likely the only possible way into the playoffs, and even that might not be enough this year. I love our rivalries in the AFC East, but I do wish we were in the AFC South this year. We would have a good shot at the third overall seed, even if we finished 10-6, if we were in that division...

BTW, surely the NFL will need to do something about the playoff format if the winner of the fourth seed in the NFC (via the NFC West title) ends up being a 7-9 team, right? Has a losing team ever made the playoffs before? I am not sure that even happened during a strike-shortened year. Fortunately for the NFL if everything pans out accordingly, my projection is the Rams sitting at 7-8 and the Seahawks sitting at 7-8 when they face each other during the final game of the season. It is rather pathetic that yet another 8-8 team will secure a division title and a home playoff game, but there is a world of difference between an 8-8 division winner and a 7-9 division winner...
    Quote Quote  

8. -108
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Our playoff hopes were gone when the Bears beat us... 11-5 might miss the playoffs in the AFC this year.

As for the NFC West... the winner of that division shouldn't get to host a playoff game against Philadelphia or New Orleans.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

9. -109
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Our best chance at the playoffs is a Jets collapse. They need to lose to NE on Monday, we need to beat them the following week, and then they have games @PIT and @CHI still. Also, they play Buffalo still, who has been playing everyone tough. It's not far-fetched that we could catch the Jets. The Patriot's schedule is too easy to expect that kind of collapse though. The caveat is we can't lose another game. Honestly, we need to hope that NE steam rolls the rest of the season so that they have their play off seeding locked up in week 17. If that game is meaningless to them, I think we can chalk up a win. I don't see them playing starters that game unless it can effect their seeding. After the Welker incident last year, I'm hoping they become a little paranoid about it happening again...
    Quote Quote  

10. -110
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    Now that we're in December, I think it is time to keep an eye on this link:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standin...yoffrace/seeds

I find it helps me keep better track of our relative standing after each week of games. An implosion of both the Patriots and Jets seems highly improbable, so it looks like there's no way of winning the division. We're stuck in the AFC East, so winning out is likely the only possible way into the playoffs, and even that might not be enough this year. I love our rivalries in the AFC East, but I do wish we were in the AFC South this year. We would have a good shot at the third overall seed, even if we finished 10-6, if we were in that division...

BTW, surely the NFL will need to do something about the playoff format if the winner of the fourth seed in the NFC (via the NFC West title) ends up being a 7-9 team, right? Has a losing team ever made the playoffs before? I am not sure that even happened during a strike-shortened year. Fortunately for the NFL if everything pans out accordingly, my projection is the Rams sitting at 7-8 and the Seahawks sitting at 7-8 when they face each other during the final game of the season. It is rather pathetic that yet another 8-8 team will secure a division title and a home playoff game, but there is a world of difference between an 8-8 division winner and a 7-9 division winner...

I like the way the playoffs are set up. I get the argument that everyone wants to see the best teams reach the playoff to fight each other for the ring. That is a fair enough argument in theroy. If we are going to go that route then we might as well get rid of the divisions and hey lets scrap the confrences too and just pit all 32 teams against one another every year and base the schedule on the previous years record. Make the top 16 teams play one another the following year and the bottom 16 teams play each other and at the end of the season let the teams with the 12 best records compete in the playoffs. See the mess it creates? Say washington is ranked 16th this year and they only play teams ranked 15th and lower next season and they get into the playoffs but miami is ranked 17th and play the 16 teams ranked higher then them and get the snot kicked out them and do not make the playoffs. Fans will cry about how the system is unfair because washington had the easier schedule because of thier record bla bla bla.

I like division games and the fact that they are important and it makes each game mean more all season long. Division games the most important, followed by conference games and then out of conference games. It creates the rivalries we all love plus it keeps traveling reasonable. Except for miami who for some reason is in the same division as 3 teams that are what about 600 miles away or more. I think we travel more then any other team within our own conference. I understand they wanted to keep our rivalries in tact but we really got screwed in terms of traveling. Geographicaly speaking we should be in the afc south but I am not complaining i like how it is set up. I think monkeying with how we decide the playoffs would be a mistake even if the west coast teams get in when they typically do not deserve to be in it. If anything I'ld be open to possibly letting in another wildcard team and eliminating byweeks for the leaders but i have reservations for that too. They earned that bye week by kicking *** all season long. JMO
    Quote Quote