Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Official PoFo Members Football Sub-Forum

1. -381
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Trading up for a tackle is the last scenario I want.

I would rather the phins draft one of the top guards with our 1st and also a tackle with a 2nd than trade up. (Not that I would be thrilled with that, but it's much more sensible imo).

I understand not wanting to leave Tannehill's protection in the hands of two very young 2nd round talents but if you want to turn the Dolphins into a Superbowl contender you have to take some chances. We really need those 4 second day picks so we can add as much talent as possible.

Also, maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I didn't think the o-line played so badly after Long was injured that we need to sacrifice a 1st and 2nd round pick to keep Tannehill from being on his back all season.

Not to mention it's not like Tannehill is an immobile QB that may rely 100% on his protection being great at all times.
    Agree with everything except of the guard stuff(though i know you dont want that).

TedSlimm has posted about it multiple times and ive since bought in: left tackle has never been more devalued then it is now. Defenses are loading up on interior pass rushers and franchises are protecting their quarterbacks in different ways then in the past, such as roll outs and quick throws. Its one of the reasons why slot receivers and tight ends have become essential to every franchise.

Another thing people havent brought up is: we shouldnt be picking this high again for awhile. Franchise quarterbacks can make even subpar teams into winners. With Tannehill its not hard to imagine us posting 9-7 seasons at the worst in years to come. There will always be exceptions to that rule, and perhaps 9-7 will net us a pick around 12th in the future, but by and large we should be picking in the second half of the draft in coming offseasons. Because of that, we really need to take advantage of this opportunity and take an impact player. There are several to choose from that should be available for us.

Offensive lineman fall every year. Riley Reiff and David DeCastro fell to the 20's last year. Anthony Castonzo and Gabe Camiri fell the year before that. Bryan Bulaga the year before that. Etc, etc, etc. We will have another chance to draft a tackle if we really need it in the future. We might not have a chance to grab a Carradine, Patterson, Austin, or others in future. We need difference makers and we need them right now. We didnt acquire all those extra picks for free, we traded away some very talented players. We must upgrade the level of talent on this roster.

Article on the modern importance of the left tackle here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/91...-espn-magazine
    Quote Quote  

2. -382
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's a good point about not picking this high again for a while. I hadn't considered that.

But while I said I think it would be sensible to take a guard in the first, that's only because I think the value would be there since this draft isn't the most talented. I like Austin and Patterson, and I would love to improve the pass rush but I'm not completely sold that anyone in this draft (outside some of the guys who will be gone) will be as good as advertised.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

3. -383
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The player at 12 needs to be as elite as possible but I think 12 is too high for Austin. The pick needs to be as elite as possible, Carradine or Patterson come to mind first. Give me offensive linemen in the second round along with a CB.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

4. -384
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    In my extremely uneducated opinion, I think you guys might be overrating Carradine a bit considering his ACL. I think most people have him going at the bottom of the first round. Patterson I've heard is a mid 20's guy as well. I hope it's not Rhodes, either. I think 12 is too high for Eifert, as well.

I want Dee Milliner something fierce now that that's been floated out there as a realistic possibility. If he's there at 6 & we don't trade up I'd be disappointed.
    Quote Quote  

5. -385
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    In my extremely uneducated opinion, I think you guys might be overrating Carradine a bit considering his ACL. I think most people have him going at the bottom of the first round. Patterson I've heard is a mid 20's guy as well. I hope it's not Rhodes, either. I think 12 is too high for Eifert, as well.

I want Dee Milliner something fierce now that that's been floated out there as a realistic possibility. If he's there at 6 & we don't trade up I'd be disappointed.
    Do you think Eifert isnt worth the pick or teams just wont spend that high of a pick on him?

I think Milliner has a better then even chance of being drafted by us. The reason is simply: the hype. In a draft class with very little star power, Milliner stands out. Hes undisputed the best prospect at his position, a position that just happens to bring alot of attention. Hes had more attention on him then guys who will likely be drafted above him. Ross has 150 million reasons to bring as much hype to this franchise as possible. Ticket sales are still declining, even after a high profile offseason. We both know that people will start declaring "we got the best player in the draft!!1!" if we land Milliner and if they are saying it on here voters and potential ticket buyers will be saying it to themselves.

The only reason im hesitant about it is: Ross has a history of stepping back and letting his football people do their thing. Not a bad attitude to have. But we've made it clear we plan on filling the "hole" at left tackle. Despite all the recent smokescreen i still believe Ireland plans on grabbing Lane Johnson. I could easily see Ross telling Ireland "get Milliner if your number 1 choice is gone", but i can also see Ireland saying "left tackle is a must and Johnson has a first round grade".
    Quote Quote  

6. -386
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    I wouldn't hate it, but I'm of the mind-set that tight-ends don't usually go that high, & if you are going that high, you better be Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis. At a 4.68 forty, I'm not sure exactly how dynamic Eifert's gonna be. He reminds me a bit of Greg Olsen (except with a much slower 40).

That & I saw the 5 inch shorter Dee Milliner put his nuts in Eifert's face all day in the National Championship Game.
    Quote Quote  

7. -387
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really really want Austin. I think he is the type of player than can take this from a middle-of-the-pack offense to upper echelon. But I won't be upset if we come out of the first round with Carradine, Eifert, Milliner, or Hayden. I'm not sure I could be sold on anyone else...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

8. -388
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    My want list for the first round, not in any particular order:
    1. Austin
    2. Milliner
    3. Hayden
    4. Werner
    5. Carradine
    6. Hunter (I know, I know. Reach and whatnot. Sorry, not sorry.)

Id be OK with one of the big 3 OTs if they fell to 12 or Eifert as well.

Quote Quote  

9. -389
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ive been kicking around my list, but i suppose i should get it on the forum before trades start happening.

Spesh's nonrealistic wish list for our first round:

1) Dion Jordan
    2) Tank Carradine
    3) Tavon Austin
    4) Bjoern Werner
    5) Dee Milliner
    6) Tyler Eifert

With perhaps some minor moving a player up or down a spot, but thats the general gist. I am still intrigued by Jarvis Jones, but his nonexistent work ethic wouldnt let me take him any of those listed.

Under no circumstances would i be alright with us taking a offensive lineman in the first round.
    Quote Quote  

10. -390
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Screw it. I've tried reading profiles, watching highlight videos, etc. There's simply nobody I'm particularly excited about or really want the Dolphins to draft.

On second thought, I'll go ahead and make a last second hop onto the Eifert train...
    Last edited by JamesBW43; 04-25-2013 at 05:16 PM.
    Quote Quote