Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diplomatic Cables Released by Wikileaks

1. -1
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91

Diplomatic Cables Released by Wikileaks

¶ A dangerous standoff with Pakistan over nuclear fuel: Since 2007, the United States has mounted a highly secret effort, so far unsuccessful, to remove from a Pakistani research reactor highly enriched uranium that American officials fear could be diverted for use in an illicit nuclear device. In May 2009, Ambassador Anne W. Patterson reported that Pakistan was refusing to schedule a visit by American technical experts because, as a Pakistani official said, “if the local media got word of the fuel removal, ‘they certainly would portray it as the United States taking Pakistan’s nuclear weapons,’ he argued.”

¶ Thinking about an eventual collapse of North Korea: American and South Korean officials have discussed the prospects for a unified Korea, should the North’s economic troubles and political transition lead the state to implode. The South Koreans even considered commercial inducements to China, according to the American ambassador to Seoul. She told Washington in February that South Korean officials believe that the right business deals would “help salve” China’s “concerns about living with a reunified Korea” that is in a “benign alliance” with the United States.

¶ Bargaining to empty the Guantánamo Bay prison: When American diplomats pressed other countries to resettle detainees, they became reluctant players in a State Department version of “Let’s Make a Deal.” Slovenia was told to take a prisoner if it wanted to meet with President Obama, while the island nation of Kiribati was offered incentives worth millions of dollars to take in Chinese Muslim detainees, cables from diplomats recounted. The Americans, meanwhile, suggested that accepting more prisoners would be “a low-cost way for Belgium to attain prominence in Europe.”

¶ Suspicions of corruption in the Afghan government: When Afghanistan’s vice president visited the United Arab Emirates last year, local authorities working with the Drug Enforcement Administration discovered that he was carrying $52 million in cash. With wry understatement, a cable from the American Embassy in Kabul called the money “a significant amount” that the official, Ahmed Zia Massoud, “was ultimately allowed to keep without revealing the money’s origin or destination.” (Mr. Massoud denies taking any money out of Afghanistan.)

¶ A global computer hacking effort: China’s Politburo directed the intrusion into Google’s computer systems in that country, a Chinese contact told the American Embassy in Beijing in January, one cable reported. The Google hacking was part of a coordinated campaign of computer sabotage carried out by government operatives, private security experts and Internet outlaws recruited by the Chinese government. They have broken into American government computers and those of Western allies, the Dalai Lama and American businesses since 2002, cables said.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/wo...ewanted=1&_r=2

A lot of duh stuff but also some interesting stuff. I thought it was interesting.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    While the stuff released isn't ground breaking (it wasn't TOP SECRET) it is damaging to how the US goes about its business in the diplomatic world. Not to mention its also very embarrasing. Will our terrorist enemies get much from this? Its doubtful. But you better believe China, Iran, and other rogue countries have learned a few things from these documents that will be helpful in dealing with the US.
    Insert pithy saying here.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is a lot more harmful than Valerie Plame.

Who is behind the leak? One can easily guess it is Chinese computer hackers backed by China's oppressive, corrupt, anti-freedom government. Can somebody remind me again why China has a trade status of "most favored nation" with the free world? Why did we let them into the WTO? They are possibly even more nefarious than North Korea and Iran. After all, at least the latter two are honest about their intentions and their disrespectful opinion of America and the rest of the free world.

There is no reason why we should continue to import anything from China if China is going to continue to embrace totalitarianism, and continue to act as an enemy instead of an ally. India is more than capable of replacing the role of China. At least India supports democracy and human rights, and is not doing everything within their power to hurt free countries.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Smokey Mountains
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tyler, you beat me to it. I was gonna post this last night but got caught up in some work...

This is pretty damning stuff, from a global perspective. Saudi Arabia, Jordan, and Egypt all openly calling for Iran's nuclear program to be destroyed immediately is shocking. Though these views were widely believed, none of these leaders ever have openly said as much. I am curious what the fallout from this will be.

Also the fact that we and SK are openly discussing the fall of NK, seems a bit foreboding. Though, this is probably just wishful thinking on our part you never know.

I like this kind of openness.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
    This is a lot more harmful than Valerie Plame.

Who is behind the leak? One can easily guess it is Chinese computer hackers backed by China's oppressive, corrupt, anti-freedom government. Can somebody remind me again why China has a trade status of "most favored nation" with the free world? Why did we let them into the WTO? They are possibly even more nefarious than North Korea and Iran. After all, at least the latter two are honest about their intentions and their disrespectful opinion of America and the rest of the free world.

There is no reason why we should continue to import anything from China if China is going to continue to embrace totalitarianism, and continue to act as an enemy instead of an ally. India is more than capable of replacing the role of China. At least India supports democracy and human rights, and is not doing everything within their power to hurt free countries.
    I think they have said that the defense department guy they have already arrested is behind this leak as well. I don't think it was China. They just benefited greatly from it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the mocking of some other world leaders was the funniest part. Merkel is "rarely creative", Medvedev "plays Robin to Putin's Batman", and Karzai is "an extremely weak man who did not listen to facts, but was instead easily swayed by anyone who came to report even the most bizarre stories or plots against him." Apparently children run the rest of the world too.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    I think the mocking of some other world leaders was the funniest part. Merkel is "rarely creative", Medvedev "plays Robin to Putin's Batman", and Karzai is "an extremely weak man who did not listen to facts, but was instead easily swayed by anyone who came to report even the most bizarre stories or plots against him." Apparently children run the rest of the world too.
    I liked how they basically called Mugabe a crazy old man and said KJI has physical and psychological issues

Also said Putin is an alpha-dog and the French leader is spineless. Shockers.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I liked how they basically called Mugabe a crazy old man and said KJI has physical and psychological issues

Also said Putin is an alpha-dog and the French leader is spineless. Shockers.
    I just imagine major world meetings taking place like a high school cafeteria. Everyone is friendly to each other, but when their backs are turned, the knives come out. If you throw in a few world leaders sleeping with each other, you would have better drama.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
    I just imagine major world meetings taking place like a high school cafeteria. Everyone is friendly to each other, but when their backs are turned, the knives come out. If you throw in a few world leaders sleeping with each other, you would have better drama.
    I see a future series on the CW network...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought it was pretty funny. The idiots transcribe everything and then share is across departments and expect nothing to be leaked? Its like watching someone browse their facebook page at work or sending personal email with their company account. You've got to be aware of the fact that everything you do on that network is recorded and monitored.
    Quote Quote