Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dolphins love their Undrafted Free Agents

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dolphins love their Undrafted Free Agents

The Miami Dolphins love undrafted free agents and by remaining active after the draft they are finding contributors and at time stars. In '08 they welcomed Bess & Carpenter. In '09 Ryan Baker, Nate Ness & Juliuss Pruitt were part of the team. This year the Dolphins are loaded with UDFA on their roster.

Currently there are five UDFA rookies on Miami's roster. Those rookies are, Marlon Moore, Roberto Wallace, Jonathon Amaya, Jeron Mastrud & Matt Kopa. Of those five guys, four are seeing significant time and contributing. Moore was a difference maker yesterday, Wallace made a very crucial 3rd down catch against Oakland, Amaya is drawing more and more praise for his ST play, and Mastrud has been active as the backup TE for most of the season.

Dolphins also added Chris Baker an undrafted free agent last year a couple days ago and he performed well against the Raiders. Got to love how this organization just keeps finding young talent out of no where.
    Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would like to see the wrs more but considering we barely run 3 wr sets, that won't happen.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Ayatollah of rock and rolla

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    These guys making the team and actually getting on the field is more than anything the result of Ireland, Sparano and CO inheriting a team largely bereft of talent, missing on big name free agents and being less than perfect in the draft (though I do think we've drafted well overall).

I mean, sure it's great to see Moore and Wallace make plays. But they're only on the team because Wilford and Turner turned out to be ****.

Singling out guys like Ness, Mastrud, Pruitt and Amaya as finds is just so much pie in the sky optimism. Every team has guys like those on their roster -- guys with "promise," but who nevertheless have done exactly nothing. Mastrud for god's sake might be the worst #2 tight end in all of football. Pruitt hasn't seen the field, as in once, and after seeing him live in practice I can see why.

The Dolphins have had two big rookie free agents in three years: Bess and Carpenter.

A nice achievement but certainly nothing to write home about. Ten to fifteen rookie free agents a year turn into contributors of some kind.
    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    This is why I don't even mind the ideas of trading up to get a guy, trading picks to get a proven guy or trading back to get more picks later in the draft. It is obvious that this front office seems to do good in the first round . . . and the later rounds/UDFA of the draft. They have struggled a bit in the mid rounds.

Bess and Carpenter, both undrafted, both top 5 at what they do (PK and slot WR) . . . that is pretty damn good.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Diehard fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cameron Wake was undrafted aswell. just took the long road to Mia glad we got him
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    These guys making the team and actually getting on the field is more than anything the result of Ireland, Sparano and CO inheriting a team largely bereft of talent, missing on big name free agents and being less than perfect in the draft (though I do think we've drafted well overall).

I mean, sure it's great to see Moore and Wallace make plays. But they're only on the team because Wilford and Turner turned out to be ****.

Singling out guys like Ness, Mastrud, Pruitt and Amaya as finds is just so much pie in the sky optimism. Every team has guys like those on their roster -- guys with "promise," but who nevertheless have done exactly nothing. Mastrud for god's sake might be the worst #2 tight end in all of football. Pruitt hasn't seen the field, as in once, and after seeing him live in practice I can see why.

The Dolphins have had two big rookie free agents in three years: Bess and Carpenter.

A nice achievement but certainly nothing to write home about. Ten to fifteen rookie free agents a year turn into contributors of some kind.
    I would certainly write home about Bess and Carpenter. In year 1 I could agree with your statement about a team lacking talent but those 2 or a couple of years have proven to be some of the best in the NFL. Currently only last years draft class is looking the weakest IMO.
    Much is made about their free agency busts and in the rear view mirror I would agree. Cetainly when Smiley and Grove were playing we were running the ball much better. Wilson did improve but was certainly not worth the money. All the rest were really not paid that much but were a shot worth taking on a team that had been 1-15 the year before.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    AJ Smith is the best at this. The Chargers have like 9 undrafted guys on their team.

He finds good ones every year.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post

I was listing the amount of undrafted free agents on the team, never said Mastrud was a star just that he has seen significant time. While Miami has not been perfect in the draft this team is loaded with young up and coming stars. For every guy they have missed on they have found a gem.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I love our undrafted free agents.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    FIN4LIFE

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Daytona Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    ill take bess and the rest of them are ........ehhhhh. take em or leave em.

arent most kickers UDFA?
    Quote Quote