Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Stat from watching Thursday Night Football

1. -1
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Interesting Stat from watching Thursday Night Football

The Dolphins are second in the league for points scored on their opening drive. They're second only to the Philadelphia Eagles.

What do you take from this?

IMO it means the playcalling starts out agressive and we put points up. Then after we put points up our playcalling goes conservative. Just from watching the games, I've noticed this since '08 when the new regime came in and Henning started calling plays.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What do I make of it ?

It means the Dolphins script their plays on the first drive and practice it all week.

But we have a moron for a head coach and an other at OC who have absolutely no "feel" for the game and how to adjust in-game.

Thankfully the Raiders have a coaching staff that is just as inept and played us in man-to-man the entire game.. They're the only team this year to have done so., The only other team was the packers, they played us in man but they adjusted at halftime. The scouting report on the dolphins is to play them in zone as Henne has always had trouble against it, but again, the raiders ignored it.

It also helped that Nnamdi played with a very bad ankle and missed half the game - plus having a horrible corner there who was a rookie 5th round pick in McFadden helped us greatly. Not to mention their 3rd nickel CB didn't play either and was out.

There are many factors involved as to why the Dolphins offense looked better last week. That won't happen every week though, as we've seen already this season.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    SUPERFAN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Homestead, FL.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Halo Legendary
Gift received at 06-10-2014, 02:54 AM from DisturbedShifty
Message: Here ya go man.  In the future things like this are in the vShopXbox Logo
Gift received at 04-30-2014, 02:53 PM from DisturbedShifty
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyboy View Post
    What do I make of it ?

It means the Dolphins script their plays on the first drive and practice it all week.

But we have a moron for a head coach and an other at OC who have absolutely no "feel" for the game and how to adjust in-game.
    Changing his Depends is about the only half time adjustments Henning implements.
    Chubbs
    FINS OR DIE!!!!!!

Want-Goodell to be Impeached.
    Follow me on on Twitter www.twitter.com/FinFanChubby

In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is an apparently paradoxical psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of defending them. "[6]
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
    Changing his Depends is the only half time adjustments Henning implements.
    Chubbs
    2014 Mock Draft

1. Zack Martin - OT/OG - Notre Dame
    2. Chris Borland - ILB - Wisconsin
    3. C.J. Fiedeorowicz - TE - Iowa
    4. Trai Turner - OG - LSU
    5. Brandon Thomas - OT/OG - Clemson
    6. Storm Johnson - RB - South Florida
    7. Calvin Barnett - DT - Oklahoma State

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yea i think it shows that our OC has no ability to change his game plan according to what the defense is giving us.... does anyone else get frustrated that our first half always looks like the second half we never make any game adjustments great teams can make changes.

i may be in the minority here but i like T. Sporano I think he has the tools to be a good coach but he is still gun shy at pulling the triggers on guys like henning cause he just had B parcells finally let go of the strings. This team def has the talent to be better than 6-5 but we need to be able to make adjustments against the good teams to be able to get over the hump and beat them.

but i do think it is time for henning to go... just look what a coach can do i.e. nolan and the D. other than dansby we really didnt have many changes but he schemes well with the talent we have and can make ADJUSTMENTS....
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What do I make of it ?

Thankfully the Raiders have a coaching staff that is just as inept and played us in man-to-man the entire game.. They're the only team this year to have done so., The only other team was the packers, they played us in man but they adjusted at halftime. The scouting report on the dolphins is to play them in zone as Henne has always had trouble against it, but again, the raiders ignored it.

It also helped that Nnamdi played with a very bad ankle and missed half the game - plus having a horrible corner there who was a rookie 5th round pick in McFadden helped us greatly. Not to mention their 3rd nickel QB didn't play either and was out.

There are many factors involved as to why the Dolphins offense looked better last week. That won't happen every week though, as we've seen already this season.
    we have scored 105 1st half points, and 97 second half points.....a difference of less than 1 pt per game.

we don't score enough points.....but it's not a case of the other team making better adjustments, the split is almost equal.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burger13 View Post
    we don't score enough points.....but it's not a case of the other team making better adjustments, the split is almost equal.
    that's an elementary way of looking at things because there are so many variables and factors involved in a football game. IE- The split was equal against Minny but we scored a TD on our fist drive and we had a defensive TD thanks to Wake and Misi later in the 2nd half. The offense went into hibernation after that first drive.

Something you're totally ignoring is what about the other drives in the first half aside from the first drive ? It's just faulty logic to use such a sample size. You want a sample size that's a better indicator ??...

If the Dolphins kept their opening drive trend throughout entire games on every drive, and scored at the same rate on every drive, they wouldn't be near the bottom in points scored this year... I guarantee you that. The problem is the Dolphins and Sparano are horrible at countering after another team counters them. They do not have the ability to look 2 steps ahead. Hell, the Dolphins don't even have an answer in their playbook when another team doubles their alpha receiver.

That's how sad it is.

It doesn't take a genius to realize that this offensive coaching staff is rock bottom in the league at making adjustments through the course of games.. watch other teams play and compare your notes.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burger13 View Post
    we have scored 105 1st half points, and 97 second half points.....a difference of less than 1 pt per game.

I totally agree we dont score enough points..... we def kick to many field goals.

But where we disagree is in adjustments.

something was working in those opening drives that the d could not stop (yes they were practiced i get it) but this is a pro team they should be able to execute all the plays....
    The problem is when the def makes changes to what we were sucessful with in the opening drives we diont counter and change what we are doing.... this hard nosed mentality is great when u over power teams and can just say FU beat us....

this team is not there yet.. thus we need to be able to make some changes on the fly and keep the def on its heels scheme wise and henning is not getting it done period!!!

If u look at what nolan has done with the talent that we have on D (really only big name that we didnt have last year is Dansby) it shows u what schemes and adjustments can do

Thoughs??
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    that's an elementary way of looking at things because there are so many variables and factors involved in a football game. IE- The split was equal against Minny but we scored a TD on our fist drive and we had a defensive TD thanks to Wake and Misi later in the 2nd half. The offense went into hibernation after that first drive.

If the Dolphins kept their opening drive trend throughout entire games on every drive, and scored at the same rate on every drive, they wouldn't be near the bottom in points scored this year... I guarantee you that.

Moreover, it doesn't take a genius to realize that this offensive coaching staff is rock bottom in the league at making adjustments through the course of games.. watch other teams play and compare your notes.
    yes, it is a very simplistic way of looking at things....but so it 'we are 2nd in the league in points on opening drives' as that stat doesn't take into account things like getting the ball on the Pitts 20 yd line to start the game, not moving a yard, but getting 3 points.

....but if it were a case where a lack of adjustments were as bad as you are saying, I would expect a much bigger difference between what we are able to do before halftime and after halftime.

Personally I think that Henning gets too much blame. I think it's easier for fans to blame the offensive coordinator than the players. If the players are executing better, Henning would look a hell of a lot better. Do I think he's a great OC? no. Do I think he could be doing a better job? Absolutely. Do I think he's the worst in the league like seems to be the consensus? No.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It really shocks me that people can't put the brunt of the blame on this offensive coaching staff.

Let me remind you, we just had 4 defensive players on various opposing teams this year tell us that they knew exactly what we were going to run on offense.. Our calls based on our formations are some of the most predictable in the league !!!

I mean, seriously.. how can you not see it ?
    Quote Quote