Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.. In this league or in high school ?

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Playing not to lose instead of playing to win.. In this league or in high school ?

What's sad is that the dolphins offense moves the ball well when they're down.. it's when they're tied or up by 3 points they go stagnant with the playcalling. We went up on the Vikings early with a TD on our first drive... and then the offense didn't score another point for the game -- in the 3rd quarter the D scored a TD.. but the offense went into hibernation after the opening drive of the game.

Notice that our best drive of the cleveland game happened soon after the Browns went up 10-3.. we drove down and scored a TD.

The Jets went up 14-0 early in that game before you could blink... only then did the offense wake up with the playcalling and we scored 17 unanswered points to go up 17-14. If the Jets didn't score those 14 points initially, the Dolphins wouldn't have scored those 17... they'd probably just have a field goal at best so Tony Sparano can go ballistic on the sideline looking like the total fool that he is.

At the start of the 3rd quarter and throughout in the Raiders game , the Dolphins went ultra conservative even though Asomugha was out of the game and they had their nickel corner out as well... they had to put their safety Huff at corner and they had a 5th round rookie at the other corner.... it didn't matter, the dolphins went super-conservative anyway.

The dolphins were very lucky that the offense didn't turn it over and that the Miami defense kept forcing three and outs because the dolphins were letting the raiders hang around way too long in the 2nd half of that game... I am sure everyone here wasn't feeling too comfortable for most of the 3rd and 4th quarters because it felt like we were dominating and should have been up by 20+ points, yet were only up by 9 until that Ricky run with 3 minutes left.

It was the same against Buffalo. The Dolphins got a 10-0 lead then went into ultra-conservative mode. The Dolphins DOMINATED that game but the Bills still had a chance to win at the end as they had one final possession to score in the 4th quarter after they went to a spread offense scoring a TD on the previous drive... this should have never happened.

If Fitzpatrick was playing instead of Trent Edwards, we probably lose the Buffalo game with our stupid approach and philosophy.

We were up 7-6 at halftime against the Patriots.. but it felt like we should have been up 20-6 because the dolphins were dominating them. You just knew that one point wasn't enough and that the Pats would eventually adjust and break out (because they're just too good), and that's exactly what they did.

This has been a recurring theme for a long time. Just look at Miami's offensive stats when they are down compared to when they're tied or up.. ITS a huge difference.

We only got into the red zone one time out of 16 offensive possessions against the Browns... and that one possession only occurred after we were down by 7.

that's why we lost. Not Nolan Carroll.

We play not to lose instead of playing to win. Dan Henning emphatically said that's how we operate.. Now THAT should get the Fans excited !!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its terrible and its sad... Dan Henning said " We want our QB to not hurt us "

WOW

So basically plays and philosophy are driven to the point of where we want our QB to do enough score some points but thats it. We will leave to it our defense to take care of the game.

This is where games like the first game aginst the pats hurts. A coach or player cannot account for what "just happens"

Blocked Kicks, pick sixes... they happen and I understand push to protect the ball. But also you must score when given the opprotunity.

You forgot to mention after the intial Kickoff in the steelers game when it was a fumble and we failed to score.. We force Big Ben to fumble and we ran with RICKY on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down inside our own 15. Joke.

Yet we dont run enough all season but we do it there.

This was the Wannstache philosophy and it may win you some games. Maybe even 10-6. But that record and a first or second round playoff exit is all you WILL EVER get. I love Tony and i loved the hard nosed approach. But things need a change around here. I think the 10 turnover season or w/e in 2008-09 when we went to the playoffs and went 11-5, possibly hurt the staff and players more than we think. They think we can do that every season. Impossible.

Play to win. Do not be afraid. Score at any given chance.

(On Miami sports teams being popular)

-“That’s not competition,” LeBron said. “That’s like you rooting for your family members. That’s not competition at all. It would be great to have him, but we’ll see.”

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    You forgot to mention after the intial Kickoff in the steelers game when it was a fumble and we failed to score.. We force Big Ben to fumble and we ran with RICKY on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd down inside our own 15. Joke.

Yet we dont run enough all season but we do it there.
    yes that's another instance. We can write a book on it, unfortunately.

You just can't play like that because the players are afraid to make a mistake. They know that one mistake will likely lose the game for them. So what happens is they play tight instead of playing loose. I think it's more than just what happens on the field as far as playcalling is concerned.. we gotta look at the bigger picture.

This "play not to lose instead of playing to win" mentality has a trickle down effect on the psyche of the players minds. It makes them play tight. There's too much unneeded pressure put on them via this approach.. because playing professional sports in front of millions of people is enough pressure as it is... don't you think?

When you're playing sports, do you enjoy "going for it" ? or do you think you would have more fun with the current dolphins philosophy of playing just not to make a mistake ?

I think they would make less mistakes if they were allowed to have fun playing a kids game. The fact that they're so scared of making a mistake makes them commit more mistakes than usual. It's counter-productive in a lot of ways.

The current philosophy requires them to play perfect football with little to no room for error. Well guess what, the Dolphins are not talented enough to play perfect football. So they have nothing to lose by playing loose with more liberal gameplans. It may actually help a young player or two develop quicker by being given the freedom instead of being handcuffed.

I don't want to see Mastrud in the game ever again. I don't want to see Lou Polite in the game ever again unless it's a 3rd and one where he runs the ball for a quick 1st down. But as a fullback in the regular offense, never again. Keep Polite on the bench because he's useless as a blocker this year and he can't help us spread the defense.

What I want to see is the Dolphins running a lot more 3 and 4 WR sets to spread the field horizontally. WE don't have speed demons to go vertically but we can stretch the field horizontally to create more space.. Notice how Henne always looks good when we spread the field with a bunch of receivers going out in patterns. Against Tennessee to start the 2nd half, Henne was ripping it all over the field with 8 straight completions and he makes it look easy.

We ran 3 and 4 wide with a single back set,, and sometimes it was empty backfield with 5 receivers going out in patterns. And you know what's funny, is the Dolphins have a much better average running the ball whenever we spread the field.

No more of these stupid bunch sets with crappy slow players like Mastrud and Polite in there.. whenever those crap players are on the field the offense goes caput and it's stagnant...where we only send one or 2 receiving options out in patterns... no more of that crap. I want to spice it up and spread out the field so these receivers can have more space to work with and Henne can have more options. And so the running game can have less defenders occupying a small area unlike the stupid bunch sets we run with just one WR on the field.

I want to see us run more quick slants. I want to see quick hitches when Henne and the receiver quickly recognize a corner playing 8 yards deep ( i see this open a lot and we don't take it). I want to see us run more screens with a single back ( like when Ronnie ran a screen for 24 yards last week, which was a long overdue screen play).. I want to see plays set up that set up subsequent plays suckering a safety in where we can go deep. I want to see more crossing patterns with the added receivers on the field. I want to see Ronniee or Ricky line up in the slot just to screw with the defense. I want to see Ricky or Ronnie in the slot then go in motion and take a handoff, or a fake handoff... but if it's a handoff I want him coming off the strongside with 3 WR's and have him running to the weakside as the Pats do so effectively with their backs. I want to see more misdirection plays. I want to see some of those pick plays the Patriots run so effectively, etc etc etc. there's a lot of things i want to see.

Like a real NFL offense.

I want us to force matchup advantages. The Patriots are geniuses when it comes creating mismatches. They spread you out so Welker has to be covered by a linebacker half the time. Well why don't we do the same for Bess instead of limiting our receiving options with only 2 receivers going out in patterns ? Because when we do that we make it easy for defenses to double Bess up.. it's just stupid.

So i want to see a lot more of that. WE have 3 backs who can catch the ball so I want to see them used in the passing game more and get them matched up against the slower LB's on the opposing team ( this is what Cam Cameron did with Ronnie in 2007 when he was good at catching out of the backfield). Get Cobbs involved more and create some mismatch problems for defenses by stretching the field horizontally with more options going out in patterns. This will also open up Marshall more.

Speaking of Marshall, I want to see him in motion more often to get away from coverages putting him in more favorable matchups. We did that against the jets where Marshall was in motion constantly and he had a big night... who woulda guessed ?

What I DON'T want to see is when a player is really playing well and the coaching staff decides to sit him on the bench for 2 quarters. This has happened a lot and it drives me nuts. And i DON'T want to see so many play action passes because our play action isn't good and its not fooling any defenses. All it does is it turns Henne's back to the defense where he can't read the coverages quickly enough. Most of his INT's have come off play action so I want play action plays kept at a minimum and used sparingly.

The Pats are masters at creating mismatches and that's all they do. We need to get in the mismatch business and take it to defenses instead of letting defenses dictate what we do on offense.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    2nd base going on 3rd

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Far Far away
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've always compared Sporano to Wandstash, they have almost the exact philosophies. Run the ball down your throat and throw when it starts to get out of hand. We need a new mindset in this team, attack at all cost. Look where its taken the pats, they kept throwing the ball even after being up by 30+ points, thats how it should be!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    WILDCARD

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boston
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yea it makes me sick thinking about it. Your at therer 15 and we would rather opt to run it 3 times in a row with a chance to break a run and play it safe not going through the air. If you come into this league with this mentallity your already setting yourself up for failure. Only time playing NOT TO LOSE works when you have a D that puts crazy points on the board and holds teams to 10 points a game.....I used to give Sparano a pass for certain things but game after game and into our 3rd year with him im realizing he is not going to change one bit. I bet Sparano works the players ***** off, gives great motivational speechs, and is decent at patching the online. Other than that his skills as a game manager and ability (or lack there of) to adjust at halftime is horrid. ...Its like we game plan for 1 thing, if the other team doesnt script what we practiced we flop on offense. That only adds to the fact that this team is prepared week in and week out to settle for 3 and be very excited about it, all those factors combined makes me 100% convinced without seeing one more game that Sparano needs to go (i think i felt this way weeks ago but was not ready to admit it yet =P )....Fist pump it!!!! 3 POINTS BABY!!!
    Happy about 3 points, sigh.... =(
    Quote Quote