Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Bill Clinton's Take on Obama's Tax Deal

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Bill Clinton's Take on Obama's Tax Deal

President Bill Clinton came to the White House briefing room yesterday in a rare, intriguing, shocking, and somewhat bizarre (for Washington) display of common sense.

The former President was at the White House to meet with the current President, and their meeting turned into a 30-minute discourse on economics, bipartisanship, politics and realism.

His lecture wasn't aimed at the White House, or necessarily Republicans, but at members of his own party who have been upset over parts of the Bush era tax cut extension compromise worked out between the White House and Republican Congressional leaders.

Clinton's basic lesson: The American people want Washington to work. Period.

In praising the compromise deal he made it seem that Washington has been stuck in a deep freeze — and finally there is a thaw.

"In general a lot of people are heaving a sigh of relief that there's finally been some agreement on something," said Clinton.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...nt;cbsCarousel
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tenn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why does this have a feeling of a child running to his parents to make the other children play with them?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I considered starting a thread about this topic the whole event was so unprecedented. This is the deal he struck with in private with the Republican leaders and then found it too difficult to sell on his own. First of all he should of included the house majority leaders in the meeting or took the deal offered to them in private before presenting it to the public. That was his first mistake. It is further evidence of his narcissism IMO, He does not seem to consider anyones priorities other then his own and it is why he has been a very poor leaders that alienates both parties. He now has the Left very angry at him at rightfully so for showing them no consideration before announcing his plan which is very similar to what he did to the Republicans.

His compromise has pleased neither party and him and both the Republican leadership have much to answer for, Obama betrayed his principles about taxing the higher income levels. The Republicans allowed items like the death taxes and a few other items that I cant recall off the top of my head into this supposedly agreed upon deal. The Republicans could of very easily stood firm on what they wanted and forced an up or down vote on it.

Now I want to see if the Republicans allow all the earmarks to pass with the the hike freeze agreement they made. I do like the 5% proposal cut across the board and would like to see that policy continue for the 10 years. That would essentially cut our budget in half over the next decade and do it in a reasonable way of slowly adjusting spending habits. I think that is one of the better ideas that I have heard so far.

But I digress, the topic at hand is Obama allowing himself to be upstaged by a former sitting president who no longer presides over anything. Obama has just showed the world he can not govern his own country and has not only weakened his domestic hand but his global one as well. What nations will put forth their trust in his ability to sell any negotiations they make with him to congress and the American people. Two years can not come fast enough for me.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dphins4me View Post
    Why does this have a feeling of a child running to his parents to make the other children play with them?
    It does seem awfully childish at times, but its the game these guys play. We all know the bill will be passed and every lawmaker tries to find ways they can personally gain from it, whether they support or oppose it. And in the end the masses suffer while the few walk out with their little victories.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Quote