Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: time to look at our drafts under parcells

1. -41
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    parcell's legacy will be that he passed on john beck
    Quote Quote  

2. -42
    King of Fools

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Whee, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rutgers11 View Post
    parcell's legacy will be that he passed on john beck
    ...to take an offensive tackle that is consider one of the 3 best in the game in his 3rd season. it is not like he passed on barry sanders for tony mandrich. you act like we took vernon gholston with the pick
    Welcome to the Miami Dolphins

Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
    Pat White, QB/WR, West Virginia
    Sean Smith, CB, Utah
    Patrick Turner, WR, SOuthern California
    Brian Hartline, WR, Ohio State
    John Nalbone, TE, Monmouth
    Chris Clemons, S, Clemson
    Andrew Gardner, OT, Georgia Tech
    J.D. Folsom, LB, Weber St.
    Quote Quote  

3. -43
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAWriter View Post
    I ran a poll on a Herald forum asking who we should draft with our overall #1, and a HUGE majority (many of you folks, I'm sure..LOL) voted Long.
    Not me.
    Does anyone seriously think the "Hogs" of Redskins fame would be as celebrated if they weren't blocking for the likes of Riggins, Theisman, and such. I'll readily admit it's a 2 way street, and neither Riggins nor Joe would have been as good without that huge O-Line.
    The Dolphins have been cursed for a decade, due to the lack of a 1st class GM.
    Till we get that problem ameliorated, I'm afraid it will be more of the same.

Just my thoughts. BTW, I miss this place, and with the Herald forums now such a mess, I hope to contribute (and learn) a bit more around here.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    The great thing about those Redskins' offenses is they had a power running game combined with great speed at the receiver positions...

Not a bunch of 'possession' guys who shorten the field.

The Redskins were so potent on offense because they had so many fast receivers to stretch the field opening up their already potent running game., and vice-versa.
    Quote Quote  

4. -44
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For all you clowns that state our drafts are soooooooo bad then let's compare to the great NE Patriots....

1. J.Mayo lb -really good
    1. forfeit for cheating
    2. T.Wheatly CB -not on roster
    3. S.Crable OLB -not on roster
    3. K.OConnell QB -not on roster
    4. J.White CB -nobody
    5. M.Slater WR - back up
    6. B.Ruud LB - not on roster

2. P.Chung CB - real good
    2. R.Brace NT - worse then Merling, can't get on game day roster
    2. D.Butler CB - no better then a back up
    2. S.Vollmer OT - good OT
    3. B.Tate WR - Hartline wash
    3. T.McKenzie OLB -not on roster
    4. R.Ohumberger OG -ho hum
    5. G.Bussy OG - not on roster
    6. J.Ingram LS -not on roster
    6. M.Pryor DT -no better then our late picks
    7. J.Edelman WR - nice 4th receiver
    7. D.Richard DT - ho hum

1. D.McCourty CB - good but no V.Davis
    2. R.Gronkowski TE - nice pick up
    2. B.Spikes ILB - average player suspended for steriods
    3. T.Price WR - wallace/moore
    4. A.Herandez TE -could be good
    5. Z.Mesko P - punter really????
    6. T.Larsen C - not on roster
    7. T.Welch OT - not on roster
    7. B.Deadrick DT - who????
    7. K.Weston DT - ho hum

So 2008 brought in 1 starter and 1 back up out of 7 picks and 4 draft picks not on the roster including a 2nd and 2 3rds!!! Wow what a great draft, lol!!!!! All players selected are skilled positions and they missed badly.

2009 brought 2 starters and 4 back ups out of 12 picks, only 2 picks are really any good in Chung and Vollmer the rest are no better then what we have drafted or picked up as a udfa. 7 picks went to the trenches with only 1 starting and the other 6 are on the team but not on the game roster!

2010 brought 3 starters and 1 back up out of 10 picks, this is their best draft in a long time with McCourty, Gronkowski, Hernandez. Spikes starts but as far as I'm concerned is garbage, he's now suspened for 4 games for illegal substance use. 4 more trench players and only two still on the team but not on the game day roster.

They drafted in 3 years 11 "corn fed" lineman and managed 1 starter and nobody else even can make the game day roster and 4 of them are no longer on the team!!!!!

So in 3 drafts they completely whiffed on two 2nd rounders that are not even on the team any more, four 3rd rounders with 3 of them not even on the team.

Compare that to us missing on P.White and you can argue P.Merling but atleast he is a regular rotaional player on a excellent D.Line. J.Odrick was playing really well until his injury. P.Turner was another miss and J.Jerry is fighting back and fourth in the starting lineup. But only 1 player is not on the roster from our top three rounds compared to 5 for NE. Even our late round picks have had a greater impact and hold a tonne more promise in Clemons, Jones, Hartline, Edds and Carol.

NE has plenty more draft picks but have missed way more then hit, they drafted way more "corn fed" lineman and missed plenty more. They also have drafted 5 CB's getting 2 starters and 1 backup compared to our 5 picks with 3 starters and 2 back ups!!!!!! V.Davis is by far superior to Chung or McCourtey.

So cry all you want but we have actually drafted a lot better then NE with less picks in the most important rounds of 1-3, NE 14 to our 11.
    Quote Quote  

5. -45
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    lol. it is easier to draft a player that will start on a terrible team than it is to draft a player that will start on an elite team.
    Quote Quote  

6. -46
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey Parcells did what he wanted...

Rebuilt your defense and left with the money before his real flaw (trying to fix an offense) was exposed.

"When we play in Buffalo, our fans come to support us, and they get beat up". "When we play them in Miami, the Buffalo fans come down here and beat up our fans in our own stadium" - Bryan Cox
    Quote Quote  

7. -47
    what can BROWN do for you?!?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    KC, MO.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cap's shieldXbox Logo
Gift received at 04-02-2014, 04:14 PM from DisturbedShiftyTannehill 172013 Dolphins LogoDolphins Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by IMAWriter View Post
    Truthfully, NE's FA are better than the folks we drafted.
    They are unfortunately smarter where it counts...MGT.
    I would be willing to wager there are 10 teams that, if considered with an unbiased mind, have done far better than us.
    Personally, the Long over Ryan is Parcell's legacy. If you have no breakaway Rb or franchise QB, what the heck difference does it make to have a stud O-Lineman?
    It's been shown that an average line will block like madmen for a stud RB that rewards them for opening a whole, and a QB that gets rid of it successfully more often than not.

I ran a poll on a Herald forum asking who we should draft with our overall #1, and a HUGE majority (many of you folks, I'm sure..LOL) voted Long.
    Not me.
    Does anyone seriously think the "Hogs" of Redskins fame would be as celebrated if they weren't blocking for the likes of Riggins, Theisman, and such. I'll readily admit it's a 2 way street, and neither Riggins nor Joe would have been as good without that huge O-Line.
    The Dolphins have been cursed for a decade, due to the lack of a 1st class GM.
    Till we get that problem ameliorated, I'm afraid it will be more of the same.

Just my thoughts. BTW, I miss this place, and with the Herald forums now such a mess, I hope to contribute (and learn) a bit more around here.
    Merry Christmas to all.
    By your logic there are 21 teams then that have done worse than us... That would mean that FO did pretty well. I don't agree with that but again, using your logic here...

Quote Quote  

8. -48
    Finfanforever

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    St. Petersburg, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Remember...the Dolphins passed on Dez Bryant for Odrick and Misi...a clear mistake IMO. You simply don't pass on play makers in the draft to fill needs.
    Quote Quote  

9. -49
    Old Bricklayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    We rebuilt the defense in 3 years . . . Incredible job.

Where we failed was with the OLine picks. The failure on the OLine is even more disappointing than the job done to the defense. Not only dont we have reliable starters . . . we dont have reliable depth. We haven't addressed the RB position . . . we haven't addressed the TE position . . . we look for hailmary's at WR and they don't pan out. Where we truly blew it was in 2009 . . . we should have been able to fix the defense then, instead of drafting 2 projects in the 2nd and 3rd round. Then in 2010 . . . we could have gotten a WR and a RB.

Oh well, it is spilt milk and we gotta move on with a new OC and maybe a new coach.
    Best summery of our failures I have ever read, You hit the nail on the head with every point.
    Quote Quote  

10. -50
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    We currently have 11 starters from our last 3 drafts, and that includes UFA's. Getting 11 starters out of 3 drafts is pretty good imo, and I'm not even counting people who started previously, like Donald Thomas and Philip Merling. I like the way this regime drafts, drafting for character and leadership. Every team out there misses on draft picks, and I think if any of you did your research, you will find that they miss a lot more than our regime does.
    Quote Quote