Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: "If I had to choose sides today, I'd choose the Taliban" Hamid Karzai.

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

"If I had to choose sides today, I'd choose the Taliban" Hamid Karzai.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai had heard enough.

For more than an hour, Gen. David H. Petraeus, U.S. Ambassador Karl W. Eikenberry and other top Western officials in Kabul urged Karzai to delay implementing a ban on private security firms. Reconstruction projects worth billions of dollars would have to be shuttered, they maintained, if foreign guards were evicted.

Sitting at the head of a glass-topped, U-shaped table in his conference room, Karzai refused to budge, according to two people with direct knowledge of the late October meeting. He insisted that Afghan police and soldiers could protect the reconstruction workers, and he dismissed pleas for a delay.

As he spoke, he grew agitated, then enraged. He told them that he now has three "main enemies" - the Taliban, the United States and the international community.

"If I had to choose sides today, I'd choose the Taliban," he fumed.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010121204208

Yet again. Antoher example of our interventionist foreign policies causing more problems than solving.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They were the Taliban before, and they're probably going to end up with the Taliban again.

I've never seen the point in staging a ground war there. No foreign power has "won" in Afghanistan since Alexander the Great. Should have just made it a parking lot after 9/11. At least the border area with Pakistan.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    They were the Taliban before, and they're probably going to end up with the Taliban again.

I've never seen the point in staging a ground war there. No foreign power has "won" in Afghanistan since Alexander the Great. Should have just made it a parking lot after 9/11. At least the border area with Pakistan.

If I were Petraeus, I would offer Karzai that exact option. We will leave if asked but we might bomb a few areas on our exit. You are 100% right about our response to 9/11. We should of put on a display of American might for the entire world to see and make it clear to the ME that what we did could of been worse and if there is any retaliatian either by a state or nonstate military we would make that first response look minor compared to what our next response will be to terrorism. JMO
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The Truth (I promise)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gem State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Karzai always says stupid **** like this. Tomorrow he'll be saying he wants to eradicate the Taliban.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNU2...eature=related
    2011 Boise State Football Preview Video!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wonder how much money Ahmenijedad paid him to say that?

Karzai is an idiot, like Rafiki said he'll change his mind tomorrow.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It would be too expensive to level the country for a parking lot. There are far too many mountains.

I prefer "The Afgan Sea." That area could use some H20 in it anyway.

This country is a mess. I'm sure we've tried to find a suitable replacement for their Prez, but years in, we still haven't. Does that tell you what a freaking mess that place is!! We deserve better and so do the Afghan people.
    Quote Quote