Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Based on numbers, Vince Young is the best QB available

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Based on numbers, Vince Young is the best QB available

A lot of people are poo poo'ing Vince Young mostly because he was a bit immature and handled his mistreatment by Jeff Fisher and the Titans staff poorly. If you notice, Fisher, who strikes me as a jerk and who also didn't win anything and was over rated IMHO, is also now gone.

But what about what he did on the field?

These are his stats the past two years:

Year G Comp % Yds TD INT Rating
    2010 9 59.6 1255 10 3 98.6
    2009 12 58.7 1879 10 7 82.7

This doesn't include his rushing yards. His win loss record is 30 Wins and 17 Losses as a starter

Here are some other tidbits:

CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:
    • In his first four NFL seasons (2006-09), amassed a 26-13 regular season record as a starter. His .667 winning percentage qualified as the best regular season winning percentage in franchise history and the fourth best among quarterbacks drafted between 2000-2009 (Brady, Rivers and Roethlisberger).
    • Has engineered 11 career game-winning performances, leading his team to victory after a fourth-quarter deficit or tie, including six times in 2009.
    • Started the final 10 games of the 2009 season, leading the team to an 8-2 finish after the club began the campaign 0-6. Named to the Pro Bowl after completing 152 of 259 passes for 1,879 yards with 10 touchdowns and seven interceptions for a career-high 82.8 passer rating.
    • In 2007, directed the team to Wild Card playoff berth, becoming 11th quarterback drafted in first round since 1983 to lead his team to playoffs within his first two seasons.
    • In 2006, was named Associated Press NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, Pro Football Weekly/Pro Football Writers of America Offensive Rookie of the Year, Sports Illustrated Rookie of the Year, Sporting News Rookie of the Year and Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year (fan voting) after setting every rookie passing record for the franchise, completing 184 of 357 passes for 2,199 yards and 12 touchdowns.
    • Additionally gained 552 yards on 83 rushing attempts (6.7 avg.) in 2006, becoming first quarterback in Super Bowl era (1966-present) to rush for 500 yards as rookie. Tied for team high with seven rushing touchdowns, also first for a rookie quarterback in Super Bowl era.

I agree, his accuracy can be improved, but he has the talent to get there. He has the most upside, and in the right situation, I think you could be looking at another Michael Vick type resurgence. Granted, he hasn't hit rock bottom like Vick in Prison, but I think he's motivated to show that he is an elite QB and in the right circumstance, if he was embraced by the coaching staff, his teammates, and the fans he could become an elite QB.

He's better than Kevin Kolb and Kyle Orton. He's also better than anyone we could get in the draft, he is a threat to run with his legs, and would bring some excitement on offense, all things that Ross wants to see. He would probably be released, so he wouldn't cost us a valuable draft pick, and we could still draft A QB in the first round with our first pick if a good developmental one was available, like that fellow from Nevada if we were to trade down, or even Cam Newton who has all the tools to be good if given time to develop.

Could someone tell me what is so wrong with that plan? Keep in mind, I think Jeff Fisher is a douche, and he never wanted Vince Young, but Vince Young still put up good numbers and won a lot of games. I'm not saying he doesn't have some maturing to do, but he's the best available of what's out there if you want to win next year. For example, Chad Henne is very mature, but yet would you rather have him over Vince Young?

He's definitely better than Kevin Kolb who's done nothing in this league, and Kyle Orton has no upside and will always just sort of be mediocre.

What do you think?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No question that VY is talented and has proven he can be successful on the field. BUT.........despite Jeff Fisher picking on him......he still showed too much mental instability. I mean c'mon dude, the guy almost blew his brains out with a hand gun (or at least his mom thought he was going to do so).

If we want VY's talent with maybe a little more stable mind, then just trade up a little for Newton - maybe he even slips to 15.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisiDressing View Post
    If we want VY's talent with maybe a little more stable mind, then just trade up a little for Newton - maybe he even slips to 15.
    That just goes back to the point of getting proven vs unproven. aka Kolb
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No question that VY is talented and has even proven he can be successful on the field - at least in spurts.

BUT.........despite Jeff Fisher picking on him......he still showed too much mental instability. I mean c'mon dude, the guy almost blew his brains out with a hand gun (or at least his mom thought he was going to do so). Between him, BMarsh and Incognito, we'd be sitting on a ticking time bomb.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The other problem is that VY could still require pick compensation. Why can't we just find our own damn QB?!?!

Just draft Newton at 15 or trade down and draft Ponder, Kaepernick or Dalton. Ponder would be my preference. In addition to another prospect later (like Devlin, Stanzi or Enderle).
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MisiDressing View Post
    The other problem is that VY could still require pick compensation. Why can't we just find our own damn QB?!?!

Just draft Newton at 15 or trade down and draft Ponder, Kaepernick or Dalton. Ponder would be my preference. In addition to another prospect later (like Devlin, Stanzi or Enderle).
    Look, Newton is going to take a couple of years to develop. Why not get a guy like VY to win now while Newton develops. Henne is absolutely not the answer, we know what we have there. So my point, is why not do both, draft Newton and sign VY? VY will be cut, no one will trade for him, although I wouldn't mind if we did, for say a 3rd rounder, or even a 4th or 5th depending upon competition.

He is salvageable and we can win some games with him in the short term and still have someone developing in the stables for the future like Newton in case VY implodes. It's not a crazy plan...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Done posting and defending. These same threads keep popping up.

Why in gods name do you posts the stats of one QB you think we should get? What about Palmer and Orton? Kolb isn't worth a mention.

How is VY so much better than Orton? Because he's 30-17? I'm sure a top 2 RB in the NFL and Fisher or a solid Titan defense didn't have anything to do with that.

59% completion 1,500 passing yards, 10 tds and 7 ints? I mean come on. Orton ****s on those stats. Try 60%+ 4,000+ 20 Tds under 10 INts..

(On Miami sports teams being popular)

-“That’s not competition,” LeBron said. “That’s like you rooting for your family members. That’s not competition at all. It would be great to have him, but we’ll see.”

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like Vince Young's talent, but he would need to prove that he has matured. If not, I wouldn't want him on my team.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyndig View Post
    Look, Newton is going to take a couple of years to develop. Why not get a guy like VY to win now while Newton develops. Henne is absolutely not the answer, we know what we have there. So my point, is why not do both, draft Newton and sign VY? VY will be cut, no one will trade for him, although I wouldn't mind if we did, for say a 3rd rounder, or even a 4th or 5th depending upon competition.

He is salvageable and we can win some games with him in the short term and still have someone developing in the stables for the future like Newton in case VY implodes. It's not a crazy plan...
    As long as we also draft a QB, I wouldn't have a problem with a vet upgrade over Henne. But if we traded a 3rd for VY and used a 1st on Newton, then we'd be hard pressed to fill all of our other holes. Of course, I do believe that there's no point in filling other holes until we solve QB.

It's all rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic until we find a QB.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we trade for VY and draft Newton too......why stop there.......we might as well sign Jamarcus Russell too!

Seriously though, I think we should be looking to the draft, and looking for a guy with good accuracy and a nice throwing motion and release - those are the key qualities to have for success in the NFL - even more so than arm strength or scrambling ability. And that's why I think Christian Ponder could be a real steal if we trade down and get him in the 2nd round.
    Quote Quote