Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dept of Defense admits $285B over two years in fraud by defense contractors

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Dept of Defense admits $285B over two years in fraud by defense contractors

The Defense Department paid $285 billion in two years to about 100 contractors who were defrauding taxpayers between 2007 and 2009. About $15 billion was spent on contractors who at the time were either suspended or debarred for misusing taxpayer funds, according to its audit report released Wednesday.

The military is a hands-off special group favored by many Republicans, except for Tea Party darling Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky. Democrats, mostly those who have questioned the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, insist it is prudent to whack waste, fraud and weapons programs even the Pentagon admits donít work.

According to Amanda Terkel of the Huffington Post, the audit report said the Pentagon also spent $270 billion on 91 contractors involved in civil fraud cases that resulted in judgments of more than $1 million. Another $682 million went to 30 contractors convicted of criminal fraud.
    http://themoderatevoice.com/100125/d...e-contractors/

Thank you Military Industrial Complex.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Government waste? Shocking.

You can't blame the MIP for the misuse of funds... that's just poor internal control and management. I think we can all agree that this needs to be stopped immediately.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    http://themoderatevoice.com/100125/d...e-contractors/

Thank you Military Industrial Complex.
    Good ole FED GOV at work again. Yet some of you want them to run our health care system.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    Government waste? Shocking.

You can't blame the MIP for the misuse of funds... that's just poor internal control and management. I think we can all agree that this needs to be stopped immediately.

This is classic cronyism. And the MIC has plenty to do with it. This is only from the last 2 years. And only what the government will admit too. What about the other 6 to 7 years of these wars? And let's not forget the 2 trillion dollar disappearing magic trick from the Pentagon before 9-11. It's pure insanity.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Good ole FED GOV at work again. Yet some of you want them to run our health care system.
    Since the report is from 2007 through 2009 it would reflect the Federal Government under Bush. The health care overhaul is under Obama.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    Since the report is from 2007 through 2009 it would reflect the Federal Government under Bush. The health care overhaul is under Obama.
    So?

I don't recall saying the Obama FED GOV.

I wouldn't trust Bushcare either.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    No, good ol contractors at work...I was in acquisition as a part of my last job in the military, every time I red flagged a project, the contractors of a district would call their congressman who would call us and threaten.. This is the problem in the military and how business is done..red flag stops work until something is fixed and stops money until the acquisition officer is satisfied with the progress up to that point. Sometimes you can hold off the congressman, sometimes you can't. Where the biggest waste is made and it's hard to judge it, is when we're developing something that's never been out there before, contractors will bill and bill, using they're trying to make this something work..and since there's no prior somethings like it, the gov't get milked for money that probably shouldn't be spent at the time. Obama was right when he stated we should stop wasteful acquisition projects that go over a certain amount and not delivered on a timely manner..the other thing is Officers in the military who feel their jobs are on the line for getting a project through sometimes make poor decisions and allow waste in order to show progress, when sometimes it's not real progress, but looks like it is..other times, we finish the project, but have to retrograde the project after it gets to the field, this is costly, because the retrograde can cost as much as the original item...but if they don't get the item to the field, it may be killed all together, occasionally it should.. I think contractors should prove they can build the darn thing before we spend billions, of course we have to give seed money on those projects that are "never been done before", but for off the shelve type projects, companies need to demonstrate the ability to show a finish product, without billions from the gov't to finish it. It's a tough call in most cases, I think the companies should spend a lot of it's own money making our items and we keep close tabs on it and reimburse as necessary, and then pay for the product itself once finish, I think this will cut down on a lot of waste, companies can't afford to waste their money, but they can on the gov't dime.
    Last edited by MDFINFAN; 02-04-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So?

I don't recall saying the Obama FED GOV.

I wouldn't trust Bushcare either.
    True. But you added health care which adds the Obama Administration as well.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFINFAN View Post
    No, good ol contractors at work...I was in acquisition as a part of my last job in the military, every time I red flagged a project, the contractors of a district would call their congressman who would call us and threaten.. This is the problem in the military and how business is done..red flag stops work until something is fixed and stops money until the acquisition officer is satisfied with the progress up to that point. Sometimes you can hold off the congressman, sometimes you can't. Where the biggest waste is made and it's hard to judge it, is when we're developing something that's never been out there before, contractors will bill and bill, using they're trying to make this something work..and since there's no prior somethings like it, the gov't get milked for money that probably shouldn't be spent at the time. Obama was right when he stated we should stop wasteful acquisition projects that go over a certain amount and not delivered on a timely manner..the other thing is Officers in the military who feel their jobs are on the line for getting a project through sometimes make poor decisions and allow waste in order to show progress, when sometimes it's not real progress, but looks like it is..other times, we finish the project, but have to retrograde the project after it gets to the field, this is costly, because the retrograde can cost as much as the original item...but if they don't get the item to the field, it may be killed all together, occasionally it should.. I think contractors should prove they can build the darn thing before we spend billions, of course we have to give seed money on those projects that are "never been done before", but for off the shelve type projects, companies need to demonstrate the ability to show a finish product, without billions from the gov't to finish it. It's a tough call in most cases, I think the companies should spend a lot of it's making making our items and we keep close tabs on it and reimburse as necessary, and then pay for the product itself once finish, I think this will cut down on a lot of waste, companies can't afford to waste their money, but they can on the gov't dime.
    You are correct. Can't fault the Federal Government as wasteful in that issue. It is part of the faulty notion of 'everything has to be outsourced' by the Bush administration. You know: the private sector does it best.

Long forgotten is the greed in the private sector. What you can fault is that the Federal Government did not properly oversee the programs. You know, the wet dream of everything has to be in the private sector, no regulation, keep government out.

This is a typical example when government steps out and lets an industry self regulate.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    You are correct. Can't fault the Federal Government as wasteful in that issue. It is part of the faulty notion of 'everything has to be outsourced' by the Bush administration. You know: the private sector does it best.

Long forgotten is the greed in the private sector. What you can fault is that the Federal Government did not properly oversee the programs. You know, the wet dream of everything has to be in the private sector, no regulation, keep government out.

This is a typical example when government steps out and lets an industry self regulate.
    No, this is a typical example of what happens when the government is allowed to spend money that isn't theirs. They have no incentive to be frugal because their funds are unlimited and aren't coming out of their own pocket.

A profit-driven firm would not waste $250 billion dollars.

You're blaming the firms who took advantage of the government's idiocy.
    Quote Quote