Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This Guy Reminds Me of Brady...

1. -1
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

This Guy Reminds Me of Brady...

I hate Brady as much as the next Dolfan, but we have to be honest with ourselves: He is one of the greatest QBs of all-time, and certainly the best QB since Marino's retirement. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to take a shower...

Is it not true that we would KILL to have a QB like him on our team? (And let's face it: The odds of there ever being another QB like Marino are much slimmer than the odds of us finding our version of Brady). So what I am getting at is that I feel like Ricky Stanzi of Iowa has a Brady-esque swagger and style of play (i.e., coolly manages the pocket with his mind and feet, can thread the needle or put the right amount of touch on it, etc.):

What do you guys think?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterboy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Sure does throw off his back foot quite a bit. Alot of those throws are floaters and rely on the receiver to be in the right position. Not sure I saw great decision making anywhere in that video.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishfishin View Post
    Sure does throw off his back foot quite a bit.
    Yeah, but that is something that he can be coached on at the next level.

Alot of those throws are floaters and rely on the receiver to be in the right position.
    Really? I only see him putting touch on the ball, not throwing any floaters. He's not Marino or Elway, but he's not Fiedler either. He can zing it just as well as Brady or Montana, for example.

Not sure I saw great decision making anywhere in that video.
    25 TDs to 6 INTs, so a 4:1 TD/INT ratio, in his senior season. 64.1% completion percentage. Played four years in a pro-style offense and a competitive conference. Apparently he led quite a few comebacks in the fourth quarter, too. Seems like he's either a really lucky guy on a great team, or somebody who usually made great decisions. I'd bet on the latter.

If he can translate those type of numbers and play into the pros, I'll take him.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He looks good to me. If the Dolphins could get this guy in the 3rd Rd it would be a great pickup.
    :eek: Go Fins!
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He works with Tom Martinez... who is Tom Brady's personal quarterback tutor...
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah, well Graham Harrell worked pretty darn hard to look like Tom Brady too (even started looking like him), and some thought he succeeded to an extent.

I barely even consider Stanzi to be draftable.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have the top two guys Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton, then Ryan Mallett, then T.J. Yates, Christian Ponder, Colin Kaepernick, and Jake Locker, then after that is when I have guys like Pat Devlin, Andy Dalton, Ricky Stanzi and Ben Chappell, kind of in a beauty is in the eye of the beholder free-for-all as far as getting drafted in the 5th, 6th or 7th rounds. I would leave Greg McElroy undrafted but if I had a spot open for a career backup I would bring him to camp and see if I could make him into that. I would leave Tyrod Taylor and Josh Portis undrafted as well and if I'm one of those teams that has two QBs on roster and feel comfortable only rostering two guys (there are a handful of teams that do this) then I would have Portis/Taylor be guys that run my scout team from the practice squad, see if either of them starts to 'get it' at some point.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    Yeah, well Graham Harrell worked pretty darn hard to look like Tom Brady too (even started looking like him), and some thought he succeeded to an extent.

I barely even consider Stanzi to be draftable.
    I don't know CK. I value your opinion on quarterbacks a great deal, but I think you are underrating Stanzi. Not saying he's the next Tom Brady, but he definitely looks like someone who has the skills to develop. I know it's a highlight film but it shows that he can do all the things you want at the next level IMO.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SF Dolphin Fan View Post
    I don't know CK. I value your opinion on quarterbacks a great deal, but I think you are underrating Stanzi. Not saying he's the next Tom Brady, but he definitely looks like someone who has the skills to develop. I know it's a highlight film but it shows that he can do all the things you want at the next level IMO.
    As things stand, I have T.J. Yates valued pretty highly. But I recognize how far he would need to climb in order to get to where he's going to get. I've just seen some very specific and very hopeful signs that he could climb that mountain. Ricky Stanzi is like a poor man's T.J. Yates, to me. The climb is just too difficult, too unlikely.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    I'm Ron Burgundy?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks / No Thanks
    CK, I have seen many other places regard Yates as a quarterback that will be taken no earlier than the 4th or 5th round. Personally, my favorite 2nd or 3rd round option is Christian Ponder. If Ponder shows that he can fully recover from his throwing arm injuries, he has the smarts and the football IQ to do great things in the NFL.
    Quote Quote