Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranking quarterback trade targets

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Ranking quarterback trade targets

One of the obvious realities in the NFL right now is the degree to which quarterbacks seem to mean everything. Of the top 10 teams drafting in April, nine have what could be considered tenuous quarterback situations. (And remember, the league could be boarded up from a labor standpoint, but the draft will go on.) Even Dallas, with Tony Romo, seems to at least have an eye toward the market, or at least the draft.

With that in mind, here's the order I'd target the quarterbacks whose names are most often being thrown around in trade discussions right now. It's important to note that this list doesn't involve price, as each guy is coming from a different situation and their respective teams may be more or less flexible when it comes to dealing.

1. Carson Palmer
    I can hear the dissenters, as Palmer is coming off a bad year for his standards. But if a team wants to win now, it can at least guarantee a level of proficiency with Palmer. He has a career quarterback rating of 86.9, has thrown for over 234 yards a game and not always in front of the best offensive line. Is Palmer the best quarterback for a franchise for the next 10 years if it makes a deal? No. But even three years is a coaching eternity in this league, and if you're a team such as Arizona or San Francisco, with a lot of good pieces but a void under center, how can you not get a price quote on a guy who has demanded to be traded?

2. Kevin Kolb
    Is he a better "prospect" than Palmer? Perhaps. But as much as Kolb generates a lot of interest as a proven commodity, his resume is still lacking. He'll be 27 years old in August and has started just seven games in his career, with 11 touchdowns against 14 interceptions. Andy Reid and the Eagles are smart to keep the price high on Kolb. (With as much as Michael Vick has shown, he can be a star again in this league and his style of play will always necessitate confidence in the backup.) For the same price, a team will get more certainty out of Palmer.

3. Kyle Orton
    Orton has been somewhat maligned, considering he has continued to improve and that heading into the 2010 season (an obviously disappointing one) he carried a 29-19 record as a starter. He has arm strength, a passer rating over 86 in each of the past two seasons and could continue to improve. I don't think John Fox is in a hurry to let him walk, but his name continues to circulate as a possible trade target.

4. Matt Flynn
    It has to be said: Flynn has karma on his side. Before Aaron Rodgers, Seattle took Matt Hasselbeck off the Green Bay bench and got its franchise quarterback. Rodgers became the next success story. Flynn has thrown just 83 career passes, so much of the praise is simple word of mouth. But if Ted Thompson really likes a quarterback and doesn't want to let him go, that alone will draw the interest of other teams.

5. Donovan McNabb
    I like McNabb, but time isn't on his side. He may not have been given much to work with in Washington, but he showed real signs of decline and it's hard to consider him much more than a Band-Aid, given that he'll turn 35 during the 2011 season. He completed just 58.3 percent of his passes last year and the accuracy questions will always be there.

6. Vince Young
    Young remains an enigma, a guy who has been able to win games but could never seem to gain the trust of Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. Never a very accurate quarterback, there isn't a lot of confidence that he can adapt well to systems, so his stock on the trade market shouldn't be that high. The upside is he's still just 27, and plenty of good quarterbacks have blossomed past that age.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...26id%3d6157111
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    1. Won't be traded
    2. No
    3. Won't be traded
    4. No
    5. No
    6. No

That was easy
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    kolb is backup material similiar to henne
    the free agents qbs in my order would be..

palmer
    orton
    young

roll the dice with stanzi in th3 third maybe mallet in the 3rd as his stock is dropping
    mallet learning from palmer could work long term
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Vince Young sucks.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Pacolypse View Post
    Vince Young sucks.
    young is better then henne

statisticaly vince had his best year with his limited opportunities
    he had 10 touchdowns 3 interceptions also ran the ball at 5 yards per carry.

if we could find vince young a good shrink he might shine
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Kolb has actually accomplished less than Henne and has been around longer. I'm not sure what makes anyone think this guy is a proven commodity....he hasn't done anything.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mike Wallace 112013 Dolphins Logo
    1) Good QB who likely wont be traded
    2) Overrated backup
    3) Mediocre QB not worth trading for that likely wont be traded
    4) Cant call it
    5) Bum
    6) Completely blows
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Built2Win View Post

No need to bring more instability to the most unstable position this team has had the last decade and change. I can live with passing on Young and if luck so have it him becomming a solid QB . . . because I realize the risks and they aren't worth it. The pressure on that guy would be enormous down here. He couldn't hack it in Tennessee, what makes you think he is mentally capable of doing a thing in hostile South Florida with possibly the most HUNGRY fanbase in the league. On top of the mental issues, he isn't the most durable guy either . . . just more reasoning not to bring him this way.

Henne atleast has the mental toughness going for him, with what this fanbase/coaching staff put him through last year and to hear that he is hitting the lockerroom and film room working to get better this season you gotta respect a guy like that, and I don't mind having a guy like that competing for my starting QB job. Alot of guys probably would have folded, Henne is in the cut trying to improve on what he knows was a bad season for him. Vince would probably be making it rain at KOD every night until camp starts.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Built2Win View Post

Relatively speaking, a Kirby is better than a Hoover - but when all is said and done, they both still suck.

"Yep. Blow it up. This might the worst team I've ever seen constructed in my life.
    And then you throw in the terrible preparation and in-game coaching. There is no defense.
    But do it right. Fire everyone in the building. No survivors. , JiF Jetnation

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Proverbs 3:5-6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Orton is the only one on that list I would go after. But I'm starting to like the idea of beefing up the offense around the QB. Drafting offense and getting offense in free agency. If we draft a RB in the first or second round and get another in free agency, we're set there. Draft a TE and put him next to Fasano. We're set there. Pick up a WR like Sidney Rice, and put him next to Marshall and Bess and we're set. We also have Hartline as the #4 guy.

As far as the O-line, we need to get a free agent guard or center to come in. And then draft another guard. That should do it. Surround Henne with this much talent and it should pay off. Most of the QBs on that list will be costly. Very expensive to get. Matt Flynn might come cheap. And I'm for Miami getting a cheaper free agent QB (maybe even Thigpen) and then getting a QB late in the draft or maybe get a QB that went undrafted just to come in and compete.
    Show me the playoffs. No excuses!
    Quote Quote