Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 578

Thread: NCAA Tournament Thread

  1. -31
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,554
    vCash:
    22294
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    Get real. The little guy doesn't have a chance at all. That's a myth. Couldn't be further from the truth. They want you to believe that but if you step back and look, the little guy has no chance. How much longer are you guys gonna talk about George Mason? How long ago was that? Don't give me the 1% rule. We all know that when the Final Our gets here, it's gonna be Duke, Kansas, UCONN, Ohio State, Pitt, Notre Dame, etc. It's gonna be the big boys.

    And the "little guy" advancing is actually bad for the tournament as if it's not bad enough already. The little guy KILLS ratings because no one watches that crap. Check the ratings for Thursday's games. Why aren't more people watching Wofford and UC Santa Barbara? Because no one really cares about those schools. You dudes probably don't even know where Wofford is. I'll bet people know where Auburn and Oregon are.

    Five people? You're really trying to make a bad argument here. I'll bet most people can't name five people off of the Alabama team. Or the Florida team. Or that LSU team. Or the Florida team the year before. People know stars. And Wofford doesn't have any. Neither does Moorehead State. Neither does whoever Duke is about to break out the rape kit on.

    64, 68 teams and you STILL have whiners like Virginia Tech complaining that they didn't get in. Win your games if you want in. You can start by getting ONE quality road win. 68 invites and you can't get one of then in a major conference. Just shut up Virginia Tech.

    Trim the fat. Take this garbage down to 16 teams. That's when people begin watching this crap anyway. No one even watches college basketball until February. And yeah, the NBA is better because all the great college players bolt for the NBA these days. I'm convinced the only reasons most LOVE this tournament is because of seedings and brackets. Guys LOVE lists, brackets, rankings, etc. We eat that **** up because we're knuckle draggers.
    Yes, a myth except for the fact a little guy was one shot away from winning the national Championship last year and twice w/in the last 5 years little guys have made the Final Four.

    It's not even about the little guys making FF runs, it's about being able to upset the big time programs int he first rd or 2.

    Last year:

    -Butler made title game
    -Northern Iowa beat #1 overall Kansas and made Sweet 16
    -Ohio beat Georgetown
    -Murray State beat Vandy
    -Villanova needed OT to beat Robert Morris

    This was just one tourney last year. It happens every year.


    duke has only made 3 FFs since 2000 and only 4 since 1995
    Kansas has made ONE FF since 2004
    UConn has only made three in their HISTORY
    Ohio State has made 2 in the past 30-40 years
    Pitt has made one- back in 1941!
    Notre Dame has made ONE FF in their history(1978)


    So who is making all these FFs then?

    The little guy helps the ratings the first weekend, that's what most people tune in for. In most years most big guys will advance but there will still be some huge upsets the first weekend.

    Who cares if people know who is on Wofford? what does that have to do w/ anything? That makes it even more interesting when a no name program upsets a big time program.

    Taking it down to 16 would be asinine and ruin the best sporting event around. It's like having a computer figure out who is playing for the national Championship rather than teams earning that right on the field.

    The NBA sucks! part of the reason is b/c players aren't ready to play in the NBA when they leave college too early. last years NBA Finals was the worst basketball I have ever seen in a postseason format. The NCAA was awful last year too, players leaving early has hurt both sports but the NCAA is more about the teams not the players so it is hurt less than the NBA where it's more about the player than the teams.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    JCane's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    15,964
    vCash:
    9520
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So of how many total games in the tournament, you found five examples lol? And in one of those the favorite won? And a five seed made the final? Awesome.

    This tournament sucks. No one watches the first round. Go grab the ratings on Monday.

    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,554
    vCash:
    22294
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    So of how many total games in the tournament, you found five examples lol? And in one of those the favorite won? And a five seed made the final? Awesome.

    This tournament sucks. No one watches the first round. Go grab the ratings on Monday.
    There are examples every single year.

    That 5 seed is a mid major program! It is impossible for a similar program in CFB to play for a National Title.

    Don't watch, what do you me to tell you? It's your loss, there isn't a sporting event even close to the first few days of the NCAA Tourney. Games all day long, tons of close games, chances for huge upsets. No postseason comes close to this one.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    Ricky_Fan34's Avatar
    Suns and Fins superfan

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2008
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1060
    Loc:
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Didn't Davidson make a final 4 a few years back as a huge cinderella? Back when they had Steph Curry, I believe it was.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,554
    vCash:
    22294
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_Fan34 View Post
    Didn't Davidson make a final 4 a few years back as a huge cinderella? Back when they had Steph Curry, I believe it was.
    They made the Elite 8 and almost beat Kansas in that game and KU went on to win it all.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    LouPhinFan's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2006
    Posts:
    5,142
    vCash:
    8409
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    So of how many total games in the tournament, you found five examples lol? And in one of those the favorite won? And a five seed made the final? Awesome.

    This tournament sucks. No one watches the first round. Go grab the ratings on Monday.
    Are you just playing devil's advocate or do you really believe this?

    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-fizzles/45367

    Dude, A LOT of people watch NCAA basketball. College basketball is different that college football. People LOVE the little guy in the tournament, but they don't really watch them in football. If you really hate this tournament as you say you do, go find another thread to post in. There are plenty of them. You're in the minority here in this one.
    Insert pithy saying here.

    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    Ricky_Fan34's Avatar
    Suns and Fins superfan

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2008
    Posts:
    4,797
    vCash:
    1060
    Loc:
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    They made the Elite 8 and almost beat Kansas in that game and KU went on to win it all.
    what seed were they? 11?
    Last edited by Ricky_Fan34; 03-15-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    nyjunc's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    28,554
    vCash:
    22294
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Blog Entries:
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_Fan34 View Post
    whar
    what seed were they? 11?
    They were a 10 seed.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    uga3406's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    3,766
    vCash:
    1001
    Loc:
    princeton,nj
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    Never underestimate Rick Barnes, John Calipari, or Bruce Pearl's ability to suck out at coaching in a big, close game. All 3 can recruit like hell, but their bench coaching leaves alot to be desired at the most in opportune times.
    i have always thought barnes was a fool and horrible coach for years. w/ all those great texas teams and not national titles to show for it...wow just pathetic








    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    uga3406's Avatar
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2006
    Posts:
    3,766
    vCash:
    1001
    Loc:
    princeton,nj
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    So of how many total games in the tournament, you found five examples lol? And in one of those the favorite won? And a five seed made the final? Awesome.

    This tournament sucks. No one watches the first round. Go grab the ratings on Monday.
    if thats the case then why r u even in this thread talking about college basketball.next to the nfl, college basketball is the best game going. it has a great playoff system, better then the nba, nhl and pathetic as* college football.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Official NCAA Tournament Thread
    By COphinphan89 in forum College Sports Forum
    Replies: 197
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 03:13 PM
  2. *** Official Mens 2010 NCAA Basketball Tournament Thread***
    By Ricky_Fan34 in forum College Sports Forum
    Replies: 287
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
  3. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
  4. NCAA Football tournament!
    By Skeet84 in forum Gaming Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 04:02 PM
  5. NCAA Tournament Pickem
    By iceblizzard69 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2004, 09:14 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •