Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Iraqi defector "Curve Ball" speaks out

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Iraqi defector "Curve Ball" speaks out

Next Saturday will mark the eighth anniversary of America's invasion of Iraq. And after all this time, questions still remain as to why the United States launched the war in the first place. The Bush administration said it was because of Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction.

But there were no such weapons.

So how did U.S. intelligence get it so wrong? Incredibly, it was all because of one man - an Iraqi defector codenamed "Curve Ball" - who spun a web of lies which convinced America's top spies. His allegations became the crown jewel of the case Colin Powell made to the United Nations before the war.

Three years ago we told you part of this story. But we were missing one crucial element: Curve Ball himself.

We couldn't find him. Finally, we did and now we're going to introduce you to the man and ask you to ponder how anyone could ever have believed one word he said.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...ctionContent.1
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Further proof that the Bush Administration wanted a war with Iraq no matter what. Even if it meant to fool the world and the American people. With the words of a known liar to get that war. They should all be in jail.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    Further proof that the Bush Administration wanted a war with Iraq no matter what. Even if it meant to fool the world and the American people. With the words of a known liar to get that war. They should all be in jail.
    If you watched the entire interview with "Curve Ball" on 60 minutes, I think you MIGHT sing a different tune. I did watch the interview and afterwards, I felt President Bush was actually vindicated.

President Bush didn't lie to the world or the American people..."Curve Ball" did and spun a web of plausibility that led to the invasion of Iraq...just as he hoped his plan would accomplish.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Winston Churchill

All things being equal, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Count me as part of the minority who's glad that we took this guy seriously. Hindsight is 20/20 but I still feel like Bush made the right decision based on the information available, a decision that was supported by an overwhelming majority of Americans at the time.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    If you watched the entire interview with "Curve Ball" on 60 minutes, I think you MIGHT sing a different tune. I did watch the interview and afterwards, I felt President Bush was actually vindicated.

President Bush didn't lie to the world or the American people..."Curve Ball" did and spun a web of plausibility that led to the invasion of Iraq...just as he hoped his plan would accomplish.
    Bush and company were only interested in anyone that would feed the lies and major exaggerations. To justify their undeclared multi-trillion dollar war of aggression. Anyone that disputed these falsehoods from "curveball" was shut down. They wanted war no matter the cost. They betrayed the trust given to them by the American people. And tainted the highest office in the world. To say that Bush and Company were duped is the epitome of gulibility. Just about everything they told us about Iraq wasn't true. From Saddam's connection to 9-11. To Saddam having nukes and the famous moment where Powell held up a vial of powder anthrax. The whole thing was a set up. And they knew it.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    Count me as part of the minority who's glad that we took this guy seriously. Hindsight is 20/20 but I still feel like Bush made the right decision based on the information available, a decision that was supported by an overwhelming majority of Americans at the time.
    So where does the fiscal conservative part in you fit in this fiscal nightmare that has been the Iraq war?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    So where does the fiscal conservative part in you fit in this fiscal nightmare that has been the Iraq war?
    While I am admittedly more fiscally liberal than you, I am still well on the conservative side of the spectrum.

I don't view the world as Austrian vs. classical or Keynesian vs. monetarist, I feel that each school of thought has its own positive and negative aspects. Austrian school economics do a wonderful job of examining the role that institutions play in the economy but I feel that it paints with too broad of a brush sometimes.

In my eyes the U.S. should protect certain interests abroad as the worlds sole hegemon. We shouldn't be alone in this, all developed nations should play a role in policing the world because instability is bad business for everyone.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post

I watched the entire video. Bush was not vindicated. Actually this interview opened the door including Curve Ball's acknowledgment that someone else helped him with info to create this fantasy world.

There are so many things wrong that one can come to the conclusion that our very own administration set him up.

a) how can he travel through so many countries after he left Iraq in 1998? You need a lot of money and an extensive smuggling network to go from Jordan, Libya, Morocco, Spain, Belgium, back to Morocco and then Germany.
    The excuse a former neighbor helped him financially just doesn't cut it unless the neighbor received large sums and resources from somewhere else.

b) to tell such a story just to stay in Germany is rather ridiculous. My frined is German and to stay in Germany as an Iraqi in the late 90s while Hussein was in power did not require such a convoluted story and such a web of lies.

c) According to the former senior CIA officer there were arguments and even screaming between both factions (those who supported Curve Ball and those who thought it was garbage)

d) no US official ever interviewed him but the US delegation to the UN quoted Curve Ball word by word. Why didn't the Bush White House listen to the opposing views inside the CIA?

Fact is: Curve Ball was a present on a silver platter for the Bush Administrations case to go to war in Iraq.

There is a whole other story behind an insignificant chemical engineer and his web of lies.
    Quote Quote