Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: ***Official 2011 Florida Marlins Thread***

  1. -31
    Kdawg954's Avatar
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    14,673
    vCash:
    2818
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Are we done with Volstad? The kid showed soo much promise when he first came up and now he just seems to be hit or miss. I gotta think if Javy continues the upward trend and JJ gets healthy, he can serve as a #5 . . . can't he?

    Something tells me we need to do like 2003 and get another late inning arm to match up with Leo (ala Urbina) . . . this rotation is gonna be fine, the bullpen I feel, like always, will make or break this team in the end.

    When healthy, I have no problem with the first 6 batters in the line up (Coghlan, Ramirez, LoMo, buttfumble, Stanton, Buck) . . . Infante is here to stay, as he is great on defense and maybe he gives a little more from the plate as time goes on, he is usually closer to .300 than he is now. Third base is interesting as Dobbs is doing his thing . . . Bonifacio can play anywhere and Murphy is mehhh, but I think that rotation is doable. I heard about Baker maybe coming back as well? He was a nice surprise before he got hurt. I know he won't replace Buck, but that is a nice left handed bat to have on the bench if he comes back from TJS.

    With the farm system being not as strong as in recent years, I doubt we see a big name come here by the trade deadline . . . but I sure would be interested in David Wright if we had the chance at him.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -32
    cyoung's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2010
    Posts:
    394
    vCash:
    1292
    Loc:
    Cumming, Ga
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg954 View Post
    Are we done with Volstad? The kid showed soo much promise when he first came up and now he just seems to be hit or miss. I gotta think if Javy continues the upward trend and JJ gets healthy, he can serve as a #5 . . . can't he?

    Something tells me we need to do like 2003 and get another late inning arm to match up with Leo (ala Urbina) . . . this rotation is gonna be fine, the bullpen I feel, like always, will make or break this team in the end.

    When healthy, I have no problem with the first 6 batters in the line up (Coghlan, Ramirez, LoMo, buttfumble, Stanton, Buck) . . . Infante is here to stay, as he is great on defense and maybe he gives a little more from the plate as time goes on, he is usually closer to .300 than he is now. Third base is interesting as Dobbs is doing his thing . . . Bonifacio can play anywhere and Murphy is mehhh, but I think that rotation is doable. I heard about Baker maybe coming back as well? He was a nice surprise before he got hurt. I know he won't replace Buck, but that is a nice left handed bat to have on the bench if he comes back from TJS.

    With the farm system being not as strong as in recent years, I doubt we see a big name come here by the trade deadline . . . but I sure would be interested in David Wright if we had the chance at him.
    I was actually counting on Volstad getting out of his funk and settling in at #5. Vazquez, I'm not so sure about. His numbers have steadily declined....especially velocity. If he continues to improve like he did on his last outing, then by all means, leave it alone. I'm just not holding my breath.
    Third base, I believe, will be left alone for a little while. Dominguez will be up this year, but they can't bring him up yet. They're probably gonna play the contract game and wait so that he won't be elidgible for super 2, which would give him a pay raise before standard arbitration. David Wright may be an option for us, but that would undoubtedly require us giving up Dominguez plus a few more. That would be fine, except it would further deplete the farm system. If that happens, Loria will really have to open up the wallet. Not only for David Wright, but also to restock the farm system through free agency. Again, I'm fine with this, as long as the FO is willing to make the increase in payroll.
    I believe the bullpen will be ok. we do have a few guys in the minors that would be well suited for the bullpen, just not the rotation. If there is any way possible, I think they have to bring in somebody for the rotation, even if it isn't needed as the deadline approaches. If the rotation holds up, then take the weakest link out of Volstad, Vasquez, and player X and send him to the bullpen. Also, JJ and Anibal ar racking up a nice injury history...you never know.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -33
    Kdawg954's Avatar
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2006
    Posts:
    14,673
    vCash:
    2818
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by cyoung View Post
    I was actually counting on Volstad getting out of his funk and settling in at #5. Vazquez, I'm not so sure about. His numbers have steadily declined....especially velocity. If he continues to improve like he did on his last outing, then by all means, leave it alone. I'm just not holding my breath.
    Third base, I believe, will be left alone for a little while. Dominguez will be up this year, but they can't bring him up yet. They're probably gonna play the contract game and wait so that he won't be elidgible for super 2, which would give him a pay raise before standard arbitration. David Wright may be an option for us, but that would undoubtedly require us giving up Dominguez plus a few more. That would be fine, except it would further deplete the farm system. If that happens, Loria will really have to open up the wallet. Not only for David Wright, but also to restock the farm system through free agency. Again, I'm fine with this, as long as the FO is willing to make the increase in payroll.
    I believe the bullpen will be ok. we do have a few guys in the minors that would be well suited for the bullpen, just not the rotation. If there is any way possible, I think they have to bring in somebody for the rotation, even if it isn't needed as the deadline approaches. If the rotation holds up, then take the weakest link out of Volstad, Vasquez, and player X and send him to the bullpen. Also, JJ and Anibal ar racking up a nice injury history...you never know.
    Yea I get what your saying, just worried about the late season collapses from our bullpen going all the way back to 2004 even, but I'm not in tune with the farm system like that so I am hopeful we have some young quality arms who can provide us some relief pitching for a potential playoff run in September.

    I forgot about Dominguez . . . good call, I think we can probably stick with the unsteadiness at 3b and wait for him. And you make a good point about needing another starter, even if he is somebody like a Julian Tavarez type . . . a rubber arm in the bullpen but can give you a quality start in a short notice scenario or like you said, take over for a struggling Vazquez or Volstad.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -34
    cyoung's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2010
    Posts:
    394
    vCash:
    1292
    Loc:
    Cumming, Ga
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Gaby and Stanton are animals!
    Quote Quote  

  5. -35
    JCane's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    15,866
    vCash:
    6429
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton!

    Quote Quote  

  6. -36
    JCane's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    15,866
    vCash:
    6429
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Un****ingreal.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -37
    Dolphins7273's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2007
    Posts:
    4,129
    vCash:
    478
    Loc:
    Miami Gardens
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Poor Buster Posey saw some stars last night. Hope he makes a full recovery.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -38
    cyoung's Avatar
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2010
    Posts:
    394
    vCash:
    1292
    Loc:
    Cumming, Ga
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins7273 View Post
    Poor Buster Posey saw some stars last night. Hope he makes a full recovery.
    I was surprised to find out this morning what had happened. Being an FSU fan, i'm obviously a Buster Posey fan. Hate tp see that happen. Praying that he makes a fully recovery.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -39
    JCane's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2008
    Posts:
    15,866
    vCash:
    6429
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Marlins up 4 - 3 on the Diamonbacks out in Arizona. Bottom of the sixth inning currently.

    Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton has a home run, a triple, and a single. Needs a double to be the first player in Florida Marlins history to hit for the cycle.

    Could see two more at-bats.

    Quote Quote  

  10. -40
    Dolfan3773's Avatar
    Bleeding 305 since 1987

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2006
    Posts:
    6,692
    vCash:
    2363
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    Marlins up 4 - 3 on the Diamonbacks out in Arizona. Bottom of the sixth inning currently.

    Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton has a home run, a triple, and a single. Needs a double to be the first player in Florida Marlins history to hit for the cycle.

    Could see two more at-bats.

    That would be sweet
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. ***The official '08 Florida marlins thread***
    By phinphan896 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 234
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 12:23 PM
  2. Official 2007 Florida Marlins Thread
    By Alex44 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 398
    Last Post: 07-23-2007, 03:21 PM
  3. Official 2006 Florida Marlins Offseason Thread
    By DeathStar in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 12:45 PM
  4. Official 2006 Florida Marlins Thread
    By miamikid92 in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 1411
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 10:02 PM
  5. Official: 2005 Florida Marlins Thread
    By Prime Time in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •