Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Seattle Calls

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

What if Seattle Calls

Here's the scenerio. Seattle believes we are going to pick Mallet but they have their hearts set on the guy. They call Ireland and give the Dolphins their 1st pick and 2nd pick. The Dolphins hope to pick up Ponder at #25 and a highly rated RB in the second round. Should the Dolphins do it?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If I was in Ireland's shoes, I'd decline. It would be nice to get a LeShoure in the 2nd, but I'd rather roll the dice on Mallett. We can find some bodies to hold down the RB position until next draft. There's no guarantee a talent like Mallet will be available again anytime soon. Take the franchise QB...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    I Don't Play . .That's Y I Failed P.E.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Liquordale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Not if Mallet is the guy they rate highest on their QB board.

There is too much "Mallet Biast" on this board to be subjective on this topic. It all depends how Miami feels.

If Mallet is MY GUY, I rather him at 15, then Ponder and Leshoure/R. Williams in a trade down. I take my #1 rated QB over my #2 rated QB and my #1 rated RB (if Leshoure is that).

The bigger question would be, would that trade up be for Mallet? Maybe Seattle wants Jimmy Smith or Aldon Smith, then Miami has to risk somebody taking him before he falls to 25.

I know my mock has a "fantasy" feel to it, but ideally if Mallet is really "their" guy, they need to take him at 15 and be done with it.

I still don't believe he is definitely "their guy though" . . . which is why it is going to be interesting come next Thursday. I could wait until round 3 for the next Dolphins pick if it meant getting the QB of their choice at 15.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Ayatollah of rock and rolla

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Seattle isn't going to want Mallett. Not a fit for their system.

There's a good chance they want Locker but if they believe he's, you know, actually good and someone is going to take him up high, their issue is with Minnesota, not us. To my knowledge we haven't shown too much interest in Jake Locker. We met with him at the combine and will have (or already did have) him in for a private workout. That's a lot less attention than we've paid to Mallett, Kaepernick or Dalton.

A big part of the principle of trading up is that you don't trade with the team you think is going to take the player you want. You trade with the team ahead of them.

For instance, if Arizona passes on Gabbert and Washington wants him, they're going to trade up with Cleveland to bypass San Fran, who also needs a QB. By that same rationale, if Seattle really thought we'd take Locker, they'd trade up with St. Louis, who would probably be very glad to move down and take a Leonard Hankerson.
    A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If Mallett is their guy, then no way.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    #12 #13 #23 #39 #54 #99

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ya agree with the responses above...IF and ONLY IF Ireland feels that the QB they are looking for is there, you DO NOT under ANY circumstance trade the pick. You go get your guy. Other than a QB though, you trade the pick in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Seattle isn't going to want Mallett. Not a fit for their system.
    BINGO!!!

Mallett is a horrible fit for the west coast.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not just about Mallett. With all the rumors and innuendos connected to us and Dalton, they could have him targeted. If that's the case, hopefully Ireland will try to discern if a) he's not also focused in on Dalton

Seattle allegedly targeting Dalton

geno and idzik have done the impossible: make jets fans wish the tanny/sanchez days were here again > Darksider, Jetnation

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Suns and Fins superfan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd be happy with either scenario, quite frankly. Mallett is a huge risk, but if we're right and he winds up being a franchise QB it's all worth it. However, Christian Ponder also has all the tools to be a great QB, only trouble is his injury history and questionable arm strength.

If I was in charge and was presented with this option, I'd go with whichever QB I think has the best chance of being the answer, regardless of what we gain or lose by taking that player. It would be nice to have Ponder and LeShoure, but you are set for years to come in Mallett turns into the QB so many believe he can be.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boston
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Guys come on no doubt Ireland pulls the trigger that way we can get "value" when we select Pouncy later in the first, and some random DE in the second.

Who needs a franchise Qb when you have VALUE!!!!
    AFC: **MIAMI DOLPHINS**
    NHL: *** BOSTON BRUINS***
    NBA: Boston Celtics
    Quote Quote