Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analysts forecast Miami Dolphins’ prospects at No. 15

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Analysts forecast Miami Dolphins’ prospects at No. 15

What should the Dolphins do with their first-round choice Thursday, aside from trying to trade down slightly to pick up a second-rounder? Draft analysts weighed in:
    • Though some (including Mel Kiper) view Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett as a second-rounder, NFL Network analyst and former general manager Charley Casserly said he would have interest in Mallett at No. 15, if he meets Miami’s approval off the field.
    “Mallett is the second-best quarterback behind Blaine Gabbert, and Mallett is more ready to play,” Casserly said. “At quarterback, teams won’t get something worth taking in the second round. But you will at running back. From a talent standpoint, I rate Mallett higher than Chad Henne. You always take the quarterback” if you have a strong conviction about him.
    UF guard/tackle Mike Pouncey also “would be a sound pick,” Casserly said. “I’m not sure how good [Alabama’s] Mark Ingram will be in a power running game” like Miami’s.
    “And I can’t see Miami investing a first-round pick in a tackle.
    • NFL Network’s Charles Davis said he would take Southern California tackle Tyron Smith if he’s surprisingly there at 15 but otherwise would draft Mallett: “I’m enamored with Mallett’s skill set, and he’s coming out of a pro-style system. I want a game-changing type at 15, and Ingram is not the same threat as backs who can go the distance.” I doubt he’s special enough to give the ball 20 to 25 times a game.”
    • ESPN’s Todd McShay changed his mind and said Miami should pick Pouncey, not Ingram: “NFL running backs have a short shelf life, and Ingram [is] one year removed from a knee injury. Rather than reach for a quarterback, the Dolphins would be best served to draft the best available offensive lineman in Pouncey.”
    • NFL.com’s Gil Brandt, the ex-Cowboys executive, said Miami should trade down slightly and take TCU quarterback Andy Dalton: “Fifteen is a little too high.” They’ve done a lot of investigation into him.”
    • Sporting News analyst and ex-Browns scout Russ Lande said if Boston College tackle “ Anthony Castonzo or Tyron Smith is there at 15, I pounce on either. If not, take Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi.” ( Mike Mayock said Castonzo and Carimi also can play guard.) Lande added, “Any of those three makes your running game better. If they’re gone, I take Pouncey. I would tend to say no to Ingram. He’ll be solid but not special.”
    • Sports Illustrated’s Tony Pauline said Miami had a decent shot to trade down because “it’s such a good draft for defensive linemen and maybe teams will try to jump ahead of Jacksonville at 16 to take one.” If not, “Ingram makes the most sense.”
    • Kiper advocates Ingram, but Pouncey “has to be in the mix. I would not take a quarterback that high. Henne deserves more of a chance. You try to help Henne. Once Ingram gets through the initial hole, he’s a terror in the second level.”
    • The analysts advocated an offensive player for Miami’s first-rounder, though defensive linemen Aldon Smith, Cameron Jordan, Ryan Kerrigan, Corey Liuget and Muhammad Wilkerson and linebacker Akeem Ayers are projected in that range, and Miami has evaluated them all.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/2...#ixzz1KjqhdMET
    Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Underpaying All Free Agents

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    All of this Dalton talk lately terrifies me.

The Miami Dolphins: Your home for QBs weeping in the fetal position since 1999.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Football On My Mind 24 Hrs Per Day

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    At this point....anything could happen. I'm betting that I will be surprised with the pick we make. I can see my jaw dropping to the floor.....either in a good way or bad way..........
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    I hate everyone else in the AFC East

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think Dalton is a 3rd rounder on Miami's board just like on Parcells board.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua and Orange View Post
    All of this Dalton talk lately terrifies me.
    Smokescreen. I'm not worried about it. I'm feeling pretty confident that our pick is going to be Mallet or Ponder. Too much scuttlebutt about us liking other prospects and absolutely none about those 2 anymore...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Isn't Kiper the one who regularly bashes the Dolphins for passing on Ryan and saying what a horrific mistake we made in drafting Henne...and now he says "give Henne more time"?

Clearly he just wants to milk another year out of his annual "I told you so! Look at me, i was slightly correct that one time!"
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Underpaying All Free Agents

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Smokescreen. I'm not worried about it. I'm feeling pretty confident that our pick is going to be Mallet or Ponder. Too much scuttlebutt about us liking other prospects and absolutely none about those 2 anymore...
    Well, there most certainly has been scuttlebutt about Mallett lately, but Ponder has fallen COMPLETELY off of almost everyone's radar it seems...which can only mean his stock is soaring around the league.

Silence = interest come draft time.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua and Orange View Post
    Well, there most certainly has been scuttlebutt about Mallett lately, but Ponder has fallen COMPLETELY off of almost everyone's radar it seems...which can only mean his stock is soaring around the league.

Silence = interest come draft time.
    I should have clarified. All of Mallett's scuttlebutt has been negative. We have been linked to him in a few mock drafts, but there are absolutely no reports of us having any interest in him anymore. The only reports coming out is that he is going to fall on draft day. Agreed completely about Ponder though. I think he is going to go a lot higher than expected...
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Mark Ingram!!! If mark ingram is there at 15 you draft him or trade out.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    We'll all find out tomorrow but most of you should prepare yourselves to be disappointed. A few of you will be happy. Whoever we pick will be sitting on their hands until this labor dispute is resolved.
    Quote Quote