Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop counting calories and start counting macros.

1. -1
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Stop counting calories and start counting macros.

So I learned something pretty important today about feeding your body. I have been just counting calories and trying to eat low fat and all that. It seems a better method for losing weight or gaining muscle, is to count macro nutrients instead. I knew that I need to be eating a lot of protein and not a lot of fat but didn't really know how much.

Anyway, from what I have been reading, in order for my to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a week with minimal muscle loss, I should be eating 202 grams of protein, 135 grams of carbs, and 50 grams of fat. Of course the carbs should be complex and the fat clean. This is for me what a lean body mass of 158.8 pounds.

Also for best results, I should eat 100 extra carbs one day a week. This is supposed to keep your body from going into a catabolic state which is where your body does not have enough nutrients and among others things, refuses to lose weight.

Anyway, thought I would share. If you know more about this, I would love to hear about it.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WeVie View Post
    So I learned something pretty important today about feeding your body. I have been just counting calories and trying to eat low fat and all that. It seems a better method for losing weight or gaining muscle, is to count macro nutrients instead. I knew that I need to be eating a lot of protein and not a lot of fat but didn't really know how much.

Anyway, from what I have been reading, in order for my to lose 1.5 to 2 pounds a week with minimal muscle loss, I should be eating 202 grams of protein, 135 grams of carbs, and 50 grams of fat. Of course the carbs should be complex and the fat clean. This is for me what a lean body mass of 158.8 pounds.

Also for best results, I should eat 100 extra carbs one day a week. This is supposed to keep your body from going into a catabolic state which is where your body does not have enough nutrients and among others things, refuses to lose weight.

Anyway, thought I would share. If you know more about this, I would love to hear about it.

This is right on. It is the 45% - 35% - 20% rule of thumb. You can also calculate your lean muscle using body fat percentage and use that as a rough guide, for example 150lbs @ 15%BF would be about 130 grams of protein a day, 78 grams of carbs and 13 grams of fat. (protein = .4, carbs = .4 and fat = .9 x you lean muscle weight)

It is hard to get your protein and hit your fat mark so keep the foods you eat in a 3:1 ratio with protein to fat minimum to start and then go for 4:1, also by sticking to foods with those ratios you will almost certainly hit your carb mark!

Remember these are just guidelines and not hard fast guarantees, every person is different due to body type, size, metabolism etc..
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So far it is working for me. Since I started, I have lost about 5 pounds but have been gaining strength. The fat for me is easy to hit. The carbs is what I have to be careful of. Even one cup of skim milk has 13 grams of carb. I love tuna but not by itself. I gotta have it on a sandwich so that is out. I am pretty much just eating chicken, shrimp, or fish and veggies most of the time. Very little bread, potatoes, or fruit. I have a sweet potato for dinner sometimes if I need to catch up on the carbs a little.

If I figured right, my lean boy mass is 158lbs.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So far it is working for me. Since I started, I have lost about 5 pounds but have been gaining strength. The fat for me is easy to hit. The carbs is what I have to be careful of. Even one cup of skim milk has 13 grams of carb. I love tuna but not by itself. I gotta have it on a sandwich so that is out. I am pretty much just eating chicken, shrimp, or fish and veggies most of the time. Very little bread, potatoes, or fruit. I have a sweet potato for dinner sometimes if I need to catch up on the carbs a little.

If I figured right, my lean boy mass is 158lbs.
    Just remember that there are several different ways to calculate what your needs are, so if what you are doing is working then keep doing it!

Switch to Rye and Wheat breads. If you are making Tuna Salad, Light Mayo or Light Miracle Whip is even better with some onion and/or celery diced in there, I also add some sweet pickles to my tuna salad from time to time. Canned chicken is almost as good as tuna and breaks up the monotony of eating tuna all the time, plus chicken mixes with other stuff better then tuna!

Low fat Cottage Cheese is your friend and Greek Yogurt (it has twice the protein). Eggs are also OK in moderation to break it up.

Grill or bake as much as you can for obvious fat reasons, also try other meats, lamb is excellent if you like it and breaks up the routine, Venison is the best meat available (better then tuna and chicken) if you can get your hands on it. I hunt being from central NY so me freezer is stocked usually.

Black beans if you want a carb fix that isn't horrible for you in fact for off the self stuff try Bush's Grillin' Beans - Black Bean Fiesta and the sweet potatoes are right on the money!

You are well on your way man - keep up the good work and remember it is all about what your body responds to and what YOU want to achieve. Me personally if I could give up alcohol I would probably have 8% BF but I love Coots Light and Bourbon way way way too much lol.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I do eat wheat and rye bread but at 135 carbs, there is not much room for bread. I get a few carbs for breakfast and some more with my whey protein mixture that I drink once or twice a day. For dinner, I have a little room for a sweet potato and that is about it.

Of course I use light mayo when making tuna salad. I cooked up a turkey Sunday and I am gonna make some salad out of that too. I don't really like cottage cheese but I will give some Greek Yogurt a try. I have never eaten that.

I almost always grill or bake everything. Even if I don't, I just use cooking spray instead of oil.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I do eat wheat and rye bread but at 135 carbs, there is not much room for bread. I get a few carbs for breakfast and some more with my whey protein mixture that I drink once or twice a day. For dinner, I have a little room for a sweet potato and that is about it.

Of course I use light mayo when making tuna salad. I cooked up a turkey Sunday and I am gonna make some salad out of that too. I don't really like cottage cheese but I will give some Greek Yogurt a try. I have never eaten that.

I almost always grill or bake everything. Even if I don't, I just use cooking spray instead of oil.
    Yeah but only well packed tuna sammich with Rye only has about 36 grams of carbs if you make the salad yourself and you can pack 30 grams of protein in there to boot.

It's hard to hit those targets, I know man. Sometimes you just want half a pizza or a huge plate of pasta!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    Yeah but only well packed tuna sammich with Rye only has about 36 grams of carbs if you make the salad yourself and you can pack 30 grams of protein in there to boot.

It's hard to hit those targets, I know man. Sometimes you just want half a pizza or a huge plate of pasta!
    I could go for a pizza right now, that is for sure! Hopefully another month and a half or so will get me to where I wanna be and then I can start eating a little more and try to stop packing on some muscle.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldn't even know where to begin
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Super Donator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central iowa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    This is right on. It is the 45% - 35% - 20% rule of thumb. You can also calculate your lean muscle using body fat percentage and use that as a rough guide, for example 150lbs @ 15%BF would be about 130 grams of protein a day, 78 grams of carbs and 13 grams of fat. (protein = .4, carbs = .4 and fat = .9 x you lean muscle weight)

It is hard to get your protein and hit your fat mark so keep the foods you eat in a 3:1 ratio with protein to fat minimum to start and then go for 4:1, also by sticking to foods with those ratios you will almost certainly hit your carb mark!

Remember these are just guidelines and not hard fast guarantees, every person is different due to body type, size, metabolism etc..

any help for a guy whos currently 278#, looking to get to around 220#....
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Superman logo2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    on my cut im usually on a 40-40-20 split. it all depends on the person and its trial and error. im at the end of my bulk right now and im not looking foward to my cut.
    i started natural bodybuilding after my time playing college football at university of louisville and the army. i am now a football coach and strength and conditioning coach. its a lifstyle and wevie is 100% correct about macros.
    Quote Quote