Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russell Wilson meeting with Auburn coaching staff

1. -11
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree that every powerhouse has paid players at some point whether it be by boosters, coaches, fans, agents, etc. It's especially common in the SEC. I find it ridiculous though when fans can't admit that it's happened with their team.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Who did Bama pay, and which fans did it?
    Albert Means come to mind.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R&R Express View Post
    Considering we've had more success than Alabama the last 30 years and are well on our way back under Golden, I don't see the irony.

We prefer to go back about 45 years or so, being that's around the time period we were blessed to be born into the Crimson Tide family. The 20+ years prior to you being put on this planet counts just as much... believe me.

Miami was certainly one of the flagship programs in all of college football for significant portion of the 80's and 90's.... the Canes played some great, great football during that era... and Alabama stomped the breath out of 'em when they were at their peak for a national championship, which makes it even better.

Perhaps Miami can get back to being relevant sometime soon so we can see it again... RTR.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R&R Express View Post
    I agree that every powerhouse has paid players at some point whether it be by boosters, coaches, fans, agents, etc. It's especially common in the SEC. I find it ridiculous though when fans can't admit that it's happened with their team.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 PM ----------

Albert Means come to mind.

Alabama didn't pay Albert Means, nor did the fans...Logan Young did. Albert Means never played a single snap for Bama. Logan Young was a booster who was disowned by the University of Alabama. The only reason he was able to hang around long enough to get Alabama in trouble in the first place is because he was a longtime friend of Bear's...
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We prefer to go back about 45 years or so, being that's around the time period we were blessed to be born into the Crimson Tide family. The 20+ years prior to you being put on this planet counts just as much... believe me.

Miami was certainly one of the flagship programs in all of college football for significant portion of the 80's and 90's.... the Canes played some great, great football during that era... and Alabama stomped the breath out of 'em when they were at their peak for a national championship, which makes it even better.

Perhaps Miami can get back to being relevant sometime soon so we can see it again... RTR.
    I hope. Al Golden has been impressive thus far, we'll see.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Alabama didn't pay Albert Means, nor did the fans...Logan Young did. Albert Means never played a single snap for Bama. Logan Young was a booster who was disowned by the University of Alabama. The only reason he was able to hang around long enough to get Alabama in trouble in the first place is because he was a longtime friend of Bear's...
    I never said Alabama paid him, just that he was paid to play at Alabama. There's cases like this for every big time program, that's my point. Auburn is just plain dirty, and needs the death penalty. LSU and Ohio State are dirty as hell too.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Paying players is no more prevalent in the SEC than it is in every other conference.... USC, Oregon, Ohio St., North Carolina, Florida St., Miami, Oklahoma, SMU, etc... have all proven this time and time again.

It seems like it's a more common occurence in the SEC simply due to the fact that SEC schools, BOT's, boosters, and alumni rat each other out a lot more than other conferences do. The bad blood between schools in the SEC is much richer and thicker than it is in other conferences... and it typically goes as far back as 100 years in most instances.

College football is like religion in the south... the majority aren't really all that fond of professional sports franchises.

There's a distinct difference between "breaking the rules" (sneaking in a few extra minutes of practice like Rich Rod did at Michigan, etc.) and flat out cheating.... paying recruits is cheating, period... and anyone that gets served a LOI and fails to comply with NCAA rules, and/or refuses to clean up their program deserves to be punished harshly... whether it's Bama, Florida, Texas, or anybody else.
    Last edited by TedSlimmJr; 05-25-2011 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Quote