Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWAT team busts into house over student loan default

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

SWAT team busts into house over student loan default

Acting on orders from the U.S. Department of Education, a S.W.A.T. team broke into a California home Tuesday at 6 a.m. and reportedly roughed up a man — all because of his estranged wife’s defaulted student loans. She wasn’t there.

Yet, Kenneth Wright of the city of Stockton was grabbed by the neck by handcuffed before he and his three young children were put in a police car as the officers searched his house, he told ABC News10. He said he was in his underwear the whole time.

“They busted down my door for this. It wasn’t even me,” Wright told the local news station. “All I want is an apology for me and my kids and for them to get me a new door.”

Local police were reportedly not involved in the incident.
    Watch the video

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/20...-loan-default/

Damn the government is looking for every reason possible to kick our doors down. The Police State keeps growing and growing.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The only reason the Stockton cop was there because the Feds requested one officer and one patrol car. Other than that, if you've ever been to Stockton, you'd realize that they really don't do anything anyway, I think they only respond to violent crimes like the Oakland police do now. I live like 30 mins away and go to basketball games at Pacific all the time.

Still, the Department of Education with police powers? Really ****ing scary. Like really, really ****ing scary. Over student loans too. Just, wow.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Student loans. All over student loans.

Don't they have more important things to do?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The huge Dept. of Education should be abolished!

It is a total WASTE of our tax dollars. Individual states should handle their own educational issues.

Spending tons of money is not necessary. Nor does it equate to better grades!
    1972 Miami Dolphins - "Perfection"
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin39 View Post
    The huge Dept. of Education should be abolished!

It is a total WASTE of our tax dollars. Individual states should handle their own educational issues.

Spending tons of money is not necessary. Nor does it equate to better grades!
    Wrong. I can't even begin to encapsulate how wrong this is.

There is a very tangible reason students who go to middle and upper class schools score better on standardized testing than those who go to lower class schools. There is no difference in intelligence between the two groups IQ wise. That has been tested, retested, and then tested again. There is absolutely no difference in organic intelligence between those groups. The difference is resources available to each population. I won't comment on the Dept. of Education because we will never ever agree on that topic, but you could not be further from the truth by saying the amount of money put into a school has no effect on grades. There are countless empirical studies that say the exact opposite...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I withhold judgement on that until the story is confirmed. Right now you have only one person saying it was so. The Department of Education has the right to withhold tax refunds you would get on your return. Why would they use a SWAT team? With what anticipated success? A wad of cash stored in the house?

Plus, if it wasn't him, why hold him and not look for his estranged wife?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    The Truth (I promise)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gem State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't understand why the media isn't all over this story. If it's true, it's a gross abuse of power. What are they gonna do, break his kneecaps?
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    The Truth (I promise)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gem State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It appears that it's true.

WTF is going on in the Dept. of Education? I didn't know they had police powers.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah this this story seems very odd to me. That is a really, really drastic measure just for student loans. What did this lady owe? $1,000,000? Did this lady not consolidate her loans? A company would buy the consoldation taking the government completely out of the equation. That's what I did with my loans.

There HAS to be more to this story than meets the eye. This is so crazy that the national media should be all over this.

But, hey, they had a warrant so at least his 4th Amendment rights weren't violated.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The Truth (I promise)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gem State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's an update:

Just received an e-mail from Department of Education Deputy Press Secretary Daren Briscoe in regards to this morning's news that a SWAT team was sent to execute a warrant on the estranged husband of a student-loan defaulter. Briscoe sends along this statement from Press Secretary Justin Hamilton:
    Yesterday, the Depart of Education's office of inspector general executed a search warrant at Stockton California residence with the presence of local law enforcement authorities.
    While it was reported in local media that the search was related to a defaulted student loan, that is incorrect. This is related to a criminal investigation. The Inspector General's Office does not execute search warrants for late loan payments.
    Because this is an ongoing criminal investigation, we can't comment on the specifics of the case. We can say that the OIG's office conducts about 30-35 search warrants a year on issues such as bribery, fraud, and embezzlement of federal student aid funds.
    All further questions on this issue should be directed to the Department of Education's Inspector General's Office.
    http://reason.com/blog/2011/06/08/de...n-swat-team-up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNU2...eature=related
    2011 Boise State Football Preview Video!
    Quote Quote