Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atheist Eschatology

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Atheist Eschatology

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBcg7ZQuGQ

pretty depressing bro. people say teaching your child religion is child abuse but teaching your child that your life is no more important than a maggot isn't???
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli_Manning View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBcg7ZQuGQ

pretty depressing bro. people say teaching your child religion is child abuse but teaching your child that your life is no more important than a maggot isn't???
    What an amazing mischaracterization of Atheism. If you can't dispute it directly, distort the view to make it seem different than it really is. I'm talking about your little quip at the end, not the video. I'm not going to give some crazy person's rant a hit on youtube...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Gary Speed RIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    What an amazing mischaracterization of Atheism. If you can't dispute it directly, distort the view to make it seem different than it really is. I'm talking about your little quip at the end, not the video. I'm not going to give some crazy person's rant a hit on youtube...
    Is it really a mischaracterization? I understand it was a poor attempt by the OP to demonize Atheism, but if you dont believe in an after life/meaning to life, then is a humans life any more significant than that of an insects?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    Is it really a mischaracterization? I understand it was a poor attempt by the OP to demonize Atheism, but if you dont believe in an after life/meaning to life, then is a humans life any more significant than that of an insects?
    I think the inherent value of life is subjective and reliant on that particular person's ideologies. However, evolutionarily speaking, organisms tend to take care of their own species when confronted with an issue of survival. So scientifically speaking, all humans are going to value other humans moreso than other species. Atheism is rooted in evolutionary theory, so yes, I do believe it is a mischaracterization...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Gary Speed RIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I think the inherent value of life is subjective and reliant on that particular person's ideologies. However, evolutionarily speaking, organisms tend to take care of their own species when confronted with an issue of survival. So scientifically speaking, all humans are going to value other humans moreso than other species. Atheism is rooted in evolutionary theory, so yes, I do believe it is a mischaracterization...
    That's the key TBH. As you said, Atheism is based on evolutionary theory, whereas I would look at it from a philosophical perspective.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That's the key TBH. As you said, Atheism is based on evolutionary theory, whereas I would look at it from a philosophical perspective.
    It is both I think. I don't think any Atheist would argue that there is an enormous philosophical component to their beliefs regarding Atheism. Evolution has some answers, but not all of them. That leaves a sizable portion of life open to interpretation. However, a huge portion of Atheism is rooted in evolutionary theory. Richard Dawkins' books are amazing reads if someone wants to weed through countless scientific journals and focus on what is relevant in relation to evolution and Atheist philosophies.

I think everyone should read, or at least thumb through, 2 of Dawkins' books: The God Delusion and The Greatest Show on Earth. Both are immensely informative and are an extremely accurate window into the mind of an Atheist. If so, I think it would save people like the OP here from making ridiculous claims about what Atheism is...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Atheism has nothing to do with evolution. Evolution is a process, not a religion. Evolution could very well have been begun by some supernatural being, and perhaps even guided, though all evidence seems to dispute that. Atheism is merely the belief that there is no "God" that rules us and created us.

I think many people, both theists and atheists, view this thing from the wrong angle. They view it as if the universe is external to them. That God is external to them. However, when you look at everything in totality from a critical point of view, the interconnectedness of the entire system becomes quite clear. God is not something external, not some guy in the sky making creatures in his shop, but rather, that this entire universe, and every spec of matter and energy, both animate and otherwise, IS God.

Inside of each of you, there are cells and organs that have a particular role in the function of the whole organism comprising "you." Likewise, we, as conscious beings, have a particular role in the organism of God. We, conscious beings, are the "cells" that allow God, the universe, to experience itself.
    Bluebird in Hell

Just published my first game for iOS if anyone is interested...
    It's a free time waster.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    (Tursiops)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Reno, NV
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The theist assumes being only has meaning with a "meaning giver" aka god. The question becomes does the meaning giver have to have meaning itself? If meaning needs an external meaning giver does god then have meaning? I would say that answer is no, what external to god gives god meaning? So humans have a meaning giver that has no meaning according to the theist. So I can (as a meaningless being) give myself meaning, which then makes me meaningful. In the atheist worldview every meaning giver also has meaning. The only worldview that wouldn't have meaning is the theist worldview because the meaning giver is meaningless. One could say humans give god meaning. That would make god's meaning dependent on human existence. Do you want to say god is a dependent being?
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not believing in an afterlife makes your life on earth more important to you IMO.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

10. -10

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    Not believing in an afterlife makes your life on earth more important to you IMO.
    Agreed completely.

It also makes you more cognizant of what you're doing to the Earth. I read somewhere that Evangelical Christians don't think it's particularly important to take care of our environment since this is just a temporary place to live before going to heaven. A pretty wreckless way to look at things if you ask me...
    Quote Quote