Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 54

Thread: Atheist Eschatology

  1. -1
    Eli_Manning's Avatar
    Waterlogged

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jun 2010
    Posts:
    453
    vCash:
    1081
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Atheist Eschatology

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBcg7ZQuGQ

    pretty depressing bro. people say teaching your child religion is child abuse but teaching your child that your life is no more important than a maggot isn't???
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,857
    vCash:
    5324
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli_Manning View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBcg7ZQuGQ

    pretty depressing bro. people say teaching your child religion is child abuse but teaching your child that your life is no more important than a maggot isn't???
    What an amazing mischaracterization of Atheism. If you can't dispute it directly, distort the view to make it seem different than it really is. I'm talking about your little quip at the end, not the video. I'm not going to give some crazy person's rant a hit on youtube...

    If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    emeraldfin's Avatar
    Gary Speed RIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2007
    Posts:
    4,778
    vCash:
    18
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    What an amazing mischaracterization of Atheism. If you can't dispute it directly, distort the view to make it seem different than it really is. I'm talking about your little quip at the end, not the video. I'm not going to give some crazy person's rant a hit on youtube...
    Is it really a mischaracterization? I understand it was a poor attempt by the OP to demonize Atheism, but if you dont believe in an after life/meaning to life, then is a humans life any more significant than that of an insects?
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,857
    vCash:
    5324
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    Is it really a mischaracterization? I understand it was a poor attempt by the OP to demonize Atheism, but if you dont believe in an after life/meaning to life, then is a humans life any more significant than that of an insects?
    I think the inherent value of life is subjective and reliant on that particular person's ideologies. However, evolutionarily speaking, organisms tend to take care of their own species when confronted with an issue of survival. So scientifically speaking, all humans are going to value other humans moreso than other species. Atheism is rooted in evolutionary theory, so yes, I do believe it is a mischaracterization...
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    emeraldfin's Avatar
    Gary Speed RIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2007
    Posts:
    4,778
    vCash:
    18
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    I think the inherent value of life is subjective and reliant on that particular person's ideologies. However, evolutionarily speaking, organisms tend to take care of their own species when confronted with an issue of survival. So scientifically speaking, all humans are going to value other humans moreso than other species. Atheism is rooted in evolutionary theory, so yes, I do believe it is a mischaracterization...
    That's the key TBH. As you said, Atheism is based on evolutionary theory, whereas I would look at it from a philosophical perspective.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,857
    vCash:
    5324
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    That's the key TBH. As you said, Atheism is based on evolutionary theory, whereas I would look at it from a philosophical perspective.
    It is both I think. I don't think any Atheist would argue that there is an enormous philosophical component to their beliefs regarding Atheism. Evolution has some answers, but not all of them. That leaves a sizable portion of life open to interpretation. However, a huge portion of Atheism is rooted in evolutionary theory. Richard Dawkins' books are amazing reads if someone wants to weed through countless scientific journals and focus on what is relevant in relation to evolution and Atheist philosophies.

    I think everyone should read, or at least thumb through, 2 of Dawkins' books: The God Delusion and The Greatest Show on Earth. Both are immensely informative and are an extremely accurate window into the mind of an Atheist. If so, I think it would save people like the OP here from making ridiculous claims about what Atheism is...
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1297
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not believing in an afterlife makes your life on earth more important to you IMO.
    "As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand."
    Henry Wheeler Shaw
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    Locke's Avatar
    They looked like strong hands.

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2008
    Posts:
    8,857
    vCash:
    5324
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    Not believing in an afterlife makes your life on earth more important to you IMO.
    Agreed completely.

    It also makes you more cognizant of what you're doing to the Earth. I read somewhere that Evangelical Christians don't think it's particularly important to take care of our environment since this is just a temporary place to live before going to heaven. A pretty wreckless way to look at things if you ask me...
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    spydertl79's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2004
    Posts:
    8,807
    vCash:
    1297
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tide comes in, Tide goes out... you can't explain that
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    emeraldfin's Avatar
    Gary Speed RIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2007
    Posts:
    4,778
    vCash:
    18
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spydertl79 View Post
    Not believing in an afterlife makes your life on earth more important to you IMO.
    Perhaps, I do see the reasoning as you can say its your only shot at life, etc. However, it can also make you uneasy depending on what way you look at it. I mean, some will embrace it like you said, but others may become fearful, apprehensive, etc and the prospects of this life is be a slave to society and having little control on your life. Also if your prone to depression/stress, live in poverty, a life of sickness, then its not a very attractive prospect either.

    At least with faith in a higher being, you do have the comfort zone that your life does have meaning and that every action you take is vital to your salvation. I'm personally not trying to take a certain side on this, just trying to put out different lines of thought.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. James Holmes confirmed to be an atheist
    By Eli_Manning in forum Religion Forum
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM
  2. Atheist Spirituality
    By rob19 in forum Religion Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 01:15 PM
  3. The Atheist
    By PHANTASTIC 13 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-17-2006, 10:49 AM
  4. Being an Atheist in America isn't easy
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 07:20 PM
  5. Atheist Soldiers Demands Recognition
    By BAMAPHIN 22 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-17-2006, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •