Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
Perhaps, I do see the reasoning as you can say its your only shot at life, etc. However, it can also make you uneasy depending on what way you look at it. I mean, some will embrace it like you said, but others may become fearful, apprehensive, etc and the prospects of this life is be a slave to society and having little control on your life. Also if your prone to depression/stress, live in poverty, a life of sickness, then its not a very attractive prospect either.

At least with faith in a higher being, you do have the comfort zone that your life does have meaning and that every action you take is vital to your salvation. I'm personally not trying to take a certain side on this, just trying to put out different lines of thought.
There have been studies that have shown those who are deeply religious have lower rates of depression, so what you say does hold some level of scientific validity. On the other hand, if you're deeply religious, you're also at risk of being extremely judgmental, which is the first step towards extreme hate, like those Westboro douchebags. It's a double-edged sword to say the least. It's a topic where there is no right answer. It would be pretty amazing if everyone judge accepted that they believe in something different than someone else, and left it at that. All this attacking other beliefs garbage has one ending, and it isn't a good one...