I'm basing my choices on these assumptions: Crowder,Sapp,Culver,and Berger will be traded or cut. I think there may also be another surprise cut or two as well. I don't see the cap being raised much from the former amount but with Ricky,Ronnie,Penny, and the others not returning, the Dolphins should have some cap space to work. Ross has made a few mistakes but his pockets are very very deep and he is on record saying he is willing to spend.
The Dolphins defense was ranked 6th last year and we aren't losing any starters except, hopefully, Crowder. With a little help from a couple free agents, I really believe we could contend for the #1 spot. Brady must be stopped, and that means pass rushing. I am on the move Misi bandwagon. I think Misi could become an elite Mike LB. I think we can find better pass rushers to play outside, but Misi's skills appear to indicate he should be an excellent blitzer coming up the middle. Doesn't take much to beat out Crowder at this or pass coverage.
1. Mathias Kiwanuka OLB. Risky? Maybe, but he is a perfect fit across from Wake. Expensive? maybe, but next year's draft class looks atrocious. Now is the time to make this move! Kiwanuka was a tweener in the Giants 4-3, I think he would make a seemless transition to the 3-4. He is the best pure pass rusher in this year's, and very likely next year's free agent class as well. Doubt Lawson will be available, but he would also fit nicely.
2. Travis Laboy OLB. When healthy, a very good situational pass rusher.
3. DeAngelo Williams RB. We have all read the pro's and con's here, but the bottom line is; DeAngelo is the best RB in free agency and he would be a perfect compliment to Daniel Thomas.
4. Mario Harvey ILB Can anyone please tell me why this kid wasn't drafted?????????
5. Marc Schiechl OLB Another OLB?? Ya, Moses is a free agent and Ike isn't very good. Schiechl is crazy strong and consistently runs in the 4.6's. He is the Div 2 all time sack leader. He has good size and is smart as a whip.
6. Mike Huey OG/
Huey missed most of last season but prior to his injury was doing very well for himself and his team. He showed extraordinary athleticism at his pro day. He could very well be the future at LG.
7. Derrick Locke RB. Why not try to sign him? He might beat out sheets or Hilliard.
8. Drew Stanton QB This guy dramatically improved his game the last couple of years and it showed in a couple come from behind victories last season for the Lions. He has earned #2 status in the NFL IMO.
9. Matt Moore QB Could be a real bargain. He may have been dragged down by a really bad situation in Carolina. He is still young and could yet be of value.
10. Blaine Sumner DT. 49 reps is bold freakish, and a 9'5" broad jump for a guy weighing 335 lbs. is just shocking. Ya, make this a priority signing. I can't believe guys like this were not drafted. This guy attended CO School of Mines, a brainiac school, he can learn to play NT in a 3-4 in probably one year on the PS or the bottom of the 53 man roster.
Love to get some input on these guys. Who would you take instead???