Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Miami Dolphins $13.6 million under cap

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Twitter Miami Dolphins $13.6 million under cap

ESPN’s John Clayton is reporting that Miami is currently $13.6 million under the salary cap in the proposed collective bargaining agreement. The assumption exists that either includes Paul Soliai’s $12.5 million salary from his franchise tender, or that the franchise tag will not count toward the cap this year. The possibility exists that Soliai’s salary can be subtracted from the cap as well, or that cap relief and exemptions will cause the cap to “feel closer” to $130 million, meaning the Dolphins would have about $25-$26 million to spend.

If the Dolphins indeed have just $13.6 million to spend, they will likely have about $7 million after they sign rookies and re-sign certain players. They could have a little more if they cut veterans like Benny Sapp and/or Tyrone Culver. They can also save some money by negotiating a long-term deal with Soliai and restructuring Vernon Carey’s contract if he is amenable to that. It seems the Dolphins enough room to sign one marquee player like DeAngelo Williams and perhaps a cheap veteran quarterback and plugging other holes while hopefully saving some for the future. Of course, as I have detailed before, they must plan to save some money for 2012 to avoid losing several key free agents.
    http://www.dolphinsblog.com/miami-do...lphins+Blog%29
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah I just saw Clayton's article on possible salary cap casualities and he has every team's salary cap info.

I don't see how we're going to be big players in the free agent market if this is accurate. I know if we sign Solai to a long term deal then that will help. Any players with big contracts that might become expendable in people's opinion?? Carey, Polite, Crowder???
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistner10 View Post
    Yeah I just saw Clayton's article on possible salary cap casualities and he has every team's salary cap info.

I don't see how we're going to be big players in the free agent market if this is accurate. I know if we sign Solai to a long term deal then that will help. Any players with big contracts that might become expendable in people's opinion?? Carey, Polite, Crowder???
    Carey would probably be the biggest. He signed a fat contract not to long ago. Remember, Crowder almost didn't resign with us because we weren't going to pay him much. Took having lunch with Zach Thomas to convince him to stay. Man, i wish that lunch never happened...

Also worth noting, teams will have 72 hours to resign their own players before free agency begins. Say we use as much money as possible to keep Wake and Solai, then throw the rest at Ahmad Bradshaw.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Carey would probably be the biggest. He signed a fat contract not to long ago. Remember, Crowder almost didn't resign with us because we weren't going to pay him much. Took having lunch with Zach Thomas to convince him to stay. Man, i wish that lunch never happened...

Also worth noting, teams will have 72 hours to resign their own players before free agency begins. Say we use as much money as possible to keep Wake and Solai, then throw the rest at Ahmad Bradshaw.
    Part of the issue with Crowder is that he didn't feel like anyone else was going to give him more than that, and in the mean time, we could have signed someone else to replace him.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought we were like 20 mil under cap???
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    13 million? Thats it.. Who is this "capologist" we hired again... A self proclaimed capologist?
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We've been a very aggressive team in spending the last few years. Brandon Marshall and Karlos Dansby got huge deals last year. Solai just got a 12 million dollar franchise tag. Carey signed a huge contract after this regime's first year plus you have Jake Long who became the highest paid Tackle in football after he was drafted number 1.

We're going to have to cut a decent player or two if we want to make a splash in free agency. The 13.6 will probably go down to 7 after we sign our rookies.

I think Carey is a big possibility to get cut. Murtha already said the coaches told him he was going to compete for the starting RT spot. He's got a huge contract and he's been an average RT the last couple of seasons.

Polite and Crowder are options to get cut not because their salary is out of control but because we have capable replacements that are cheaper already on board. We just drafted Clay so I think Polite is expendable. Dobbins is just average but not a huge drop off from Crowder, plus we get Edds coming back from injury this year.

Culver should be cut as well and if we sign Solai to a long term contract than we should have tons of cap room to sign a couple of solid players.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Phins & Philly Sports

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I thought we had more than 13.6. This comes as a surprise to me.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Churubusco, Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kistner10 View Post
    Murtha already said the coaches told him he was going to compete for the starting RT spot. He's got a huge contract and he's been an average RT the last couple of seasons.
    Murtha is going to get blown out of the water in that competition, even by an average Vernon
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Go Fins!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SoFlo
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post

Wake is not a free agent..
    Quote Quote