Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Any car gurus in here?

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Any car gurus in here?

Hey I have a quick question: are newer cars made as good as older cars? I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla (made in Japan too), and I sometimes wonder if it was a good idea because it seems like these newer cars are made of pure plastic unlike older cars that were rock solid. Some cars back in the days lasted 20 years, yet nowadays they dont (I know several people who have newer Dodge's and Chevy's and they broke down after 60K).
    So do you think these newer cars will go awhile? Im hoping my Corolla will go to at least 150K (it currently has 30K).

Thanks
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you compare a few years of the very reliably representative Annual Consumer Reports Car issue which color codes components of the car like trans, engine, ride, structural integrity, A/C etc and then weights it out for a composite score, you'll see that in general, across the board, cars are much more reliable than they were in the past, especially those coming out of Detroit. However, the most bullet-proof vehicles have always and continue to be Japanese although ironically most are now assembled here, but to Japan's specs, QC supervision and often with imported parts. American cars have improved, I know people who swear by them. They've come a long way from the old admonition that you don't buy a car from Detroit that's been manufactured on a Monday or Friday (drunk, hungover assemblers etc) , but Japanese cars, like the Lexus are among the best made cars in the world.

Dear Math, please grow up and solve your own problems, I'm tired of solving them for you. -Anon

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you thing about it, 20 years ago, if you had a car with 100,000 miles on it, it was only a matter of time before it was pretty much done for. These days, it's not rare to here someone tell you they have 250K and still counting.

I am in the market for a new car but I can really decide on what to get. I am leaning towards an Infiniti but I don't know. I drove one the other day and while I still liked it quite a bit, not quite as much as before driving.

On the other hand, I don't really need the payment. It seems crazy to get rid of a car with 27,000 miles on it even if it is ten years old.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by WeVie View Post
    On the other hand, I don't really need the payment. It seems crazy to get rid of a car with 27,000 miles on it even if it is ten years old.
    That's not crazy - it's insane.

Then again, Infinities are very nice & the heart wants what the heart wants.
    2014 Goals:
    1) Win the next game.
    2) See goal #1

"The problem with internet quotes lies in verifying their authenticity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    That's not crazy - it's insane.

Then again, Infinities are very nice & the heart wants what the heart wants.
    This?

or This?

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Are you gonna drink that?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West-by-god-Virginny
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    Bro, if it were me ... I'd keep what I had.

But, I'm the kinda guy that drives the wheels off of what I've got. Speaking of: Only one more payment on my '05 F-150 (under 40k miles)
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    Bro, if it were me ... I'd keep what I had.

But, I'm the kinda guy that drives the wheels off of what I've got. Speaking of: Only one more payment on my '05 F-150 (under 40k miles)
    I have had the Trams Am for 6 years now. I just have been wanting something with all the new tech on it like bluetooth, nav, musicbox, etc.

Congrats on not having a payment book anymore. We just payed off our 2003 Explorer a few months ago. Feels great huh.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Wade... to the Moon.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CNNChris View Post
    Hey I have a quick question: are newer cars made as good as older cars? I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla (made in Japan too), and I sometimes wonder if it was a good idea because it seems like these newer cars are made of pure plastic unlike older cars that were rock solid. Some cars back in the days lasted 20 years, yet nowadays they dont (I know several people who have newer Dodge's and Chevy's and they broke down after 60K).
    So do you think these newer cars will go awhile? Im hoping my Corolla will go to at least 150K (it currently has 30K).

Thanks
    If you keep up with the oil changes, that engine should be good for at least 200K miles.
    Thanks to SpurzN703 for the A.M. Crew logo
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven's Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    I just got a evern newer payment :sadface:

I bought my wife a 2011 BMW 750. Thats another 600 a month.

Quote Quote