Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Speed of light 'broken' at CERN, scientists claim

1. -1
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Speed of light 'broken' at CERN, scientists claim

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...sts-claim.html

It was Albert Einstein, no less, who proposed more than 100 years ago that nothing could travel faster than the speed of light. But last night it emerged that the man who laid the foundations for the laws of nature may have been wrong.

The science world was left in shock when workers at the world’s largest physics lab announced they had recorded subatomic particles travelling faster than the speed of light.

If the findings are proven to be accurate, they would overturn one of the pillars of the Standard Model of physics, which explains the way the universe and everything within it works.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We'll have to let other labs test this and confirm before we go throwing Einstein's theory into the toilet. But this is interesting news.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    the boss asked why i was late this morning

i said, what are you talking about....my neutrino's were here hours ago
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Einstein's was revolutionary for his time and his grasp of the universe was beyond any of his time but there was still a lot he couldn't quantify simply because methods to test his theories did exist. I would bet that if Albert was alive he would be the first to offer his services to confirm the results. If this is indeed true there might finally be a way to correlate gravity into the the other major universal describing equations.
    "I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally" ~ W.C. Fields

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    But last night it emerged that the man who laid the foundations for the laws of nature may have been wrong.
    That was Sir Issac Newton, not Einstein, my good sir.

Anywho, exciting news. Would make time-travel theoretically possible.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Munchkin Land / Emerald C
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If light was traveling faster the theoretical speed of light, does this provide some theoretical evidence that time travel could be possible?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowl Kicker

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Indiana
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Time travel is already essentially possible, but not in the way most here are thinking. Stephen Hawking already showed how this works in The Universe In A Nuthsell. Basically, if you are moving in space faster than the earth is rotating, once you come down to earth, you will have spent less of your time in space than the observers on earth have watching you. Granted, it's by a difference of billionths of a second, but it is quantifiable. Einstein's theory holds up here on the macroscopic scale. It's all based on where you are doing the observing. The earth hurtles through space at somewhere around 19 miles a second, our solar system rotates around our galaxy's core every 200 million years, and the speed of light is about 12 million miles a minute. So, if you happen to hitch a ride on a particle of light, time will move much more slowly than it does for those of us glued to the surface of our planet. It's all relative (ha!).

Where things break down is on the quantum scale. And that's what the OP is referring to here. There is yet to be a grand unification theory that neatly combines Newtonian, Einsteinian and quantum mechanics. As was put forth in Hawking's The Grand Design, perhaps because of our limited perspective (think of an ant on an anthill peering at the stars trying to comprehend a map of the universe, or a fish staring through its curved fishbowl basing its map on a distorted view) we are unable to come up with one all-encompassing theory that satisfactorily explains everything for us.

It's similar to how we can't even make a map of our planet the shows everything in one view. We have to create other maps for closer inspection of specific areas of our planet since it is impossible to make one map that shows everything. For this same reason, Einsteinian physics take up where Newtonian physics leave off and quantum physics are necessary for more detailed observations. It may not be possible to use all systems of physics (or maps) at once.

It's all really fascinating, and these experiments with particle accelerators are shedding more light on light all of the time.

In my opinion, finding sub-atomic particles that travel faster than our recorded speed of light are the possible origins of how our universe might have "began". It's hard to use the term "began", because our concept of time breaks down at that point, because our language is still not adequate enough to describe our limited concept of time. Again, it's all relative.

From there, you get into conceptual theories like string theory and super-string theory, or the multi-verse or mega-verse theories of the origins of our universe. These are difficult theories to prove since our view of the cosmos is so limited on a tiny rock hurtling through essentially endless inflationary space, and there may be no way to prove the hypothesis'.
    Quote Quote