Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: American Horror Story TV Series

1. -1
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

FIST PUMP TAG Review: American Horror Story TV Series

premieres tonight on FX @10PM and actually sounds pretty promising

NY Daily News's David Hinckley ReviewsR
    'American Horror Story' review: Dylan McDermott and Taissa Farmiga star in boundary-pushing series
    DAVID HINCKLEY
    Wednesday, October 5th 2011, 4:00 AM

Stretching a horror story into a TV series is a long shot, even for a show as well-crafted and well-performed as FX's new "American Horror Story."

Most of our best horror productions, from "Dracula" and "Psycho" to "Friday the 13th," have immediately sent our adrenalin level soaring and then kept it there for an hour or two before releasing the pressure.

A weekly series needs a different rhythm.

But few creators have a better shot at making it work than Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk, who earlier scored unlikely hits with FX's "Nip/Tuck" and, more famously, Fox's "Glee."

"American Horror Story," which premieres Wednesday night at 10, takes the same attitude about dramatic boundaries as "Glee," which is to say, it pays no attention.

While it's faithful to the horror-film tradition, right down to lights that flicker off at precisely the wrong moment, "American Horror" cheerfully integrates Hitchcock-style psychological horror with old-school ax murders.

Like many horror films, "American Horror" starts with a creepy house, this one in Los Angeles. L.A. may not have as many troubled old houses as, say, New England, but in case anyone doubts the town's credibility for bad-house karma, an early episode references the Manson murders.

This particular house's backstory will unfold gradually, as will the backstories of its past and present inhabitants.

This may leave some viewers puzzled at first, since the premiere episode raises more concerns than it explains. The good news for viewers is that a considerable number are addressed in the next episode or two.

The story itself revolves around the Harmon family: psychologist Ben (Dylan McDermott), his wife, Vivien (Connie Britton) and their daughter, Violet (Taissa Farmiga).

They have moved to this house from Boston, hoping to start fresh after a couple of events that changed their relationships.

They didn't count on the house, however, or on a new circle of acquaintances that includes their creepy next-door neighbor Constance (Jessica Lange) and a disturbed young patient named Tate (Evan Peters), who seems interested in Violet.

Set against these off-center folks is Larry Harvey (Denis O'Hare), who is, let's say, a classic horror movie character.

We won't explain plot details, because they're part of the fun of watching. The viewer might want to know only that things get complicated fast and that several of the performances, while well handled, have a stylized feel.

"American Horror" doesn't fit a lot of patterns, but it does fit the style of many recent successful cable dramas, from "The Killing" to "Sons of Anarchy."

Viewers who like the horror genre and the offbeat Murphy/Falchuk approach, and who are willing to put in enough serious time to absorb all the nuances, will fall in love.

dhinckley@nydailynews.com

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I'll give it a shot, but I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Walking Dead even more!

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Paddy's Pub

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boom City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I'll give it a shot, but I'm looking forward to season 2 of The Walking Dead even more!
    amen to that. they've got their work cut out for them - season 1 was pretty incredible.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    "I See No Changes" - Tupac

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    I love that show but i'm so mad at the same time. I had the idea of a zombie series in my head since HS. I did a project for some media class I had on how a zombies series would be the **** basically. Sadly no money = last in making anything lol. I think though as a viewer though they made it very awesome.

Whens the next season start?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Are you a VIP?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched this last night! Overall it was really good. A little too much in that it seems like EVERY person in the movie other than the husband and wife are some kind of freak..so now there are like a dozen freaks to keep up with...but overall it is pretty cool. Very creep, sexual and well acted. I recommend.
    BREAKING NEWS ALL OFFSEASON LONG!
    FOLLOW FINHEAVEN ON TWITTER!

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog13 View Post
    I love that show but i'm so mad at the same time. I had the idea of a zombie series in my head since HS. I did a project for some media class I had on how a zombies series would be the **** basically. Sadly no money = last in making anything lol. I think though as a viewer though they made it very awesome.

If they follow the graphic novel, it's only going to get more awesome. Google Michonne...

Oct. 16th I think.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog13 View Post

The Walking Dead was adapted from a comic book anyway. It's really good.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have been looking forward to this show after seeing the previews. I have it on my DVR but am yet to watch it because Amber wants to watch it too.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    "I See No Changes" - Tupac

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WeVie View Post
    The Walking Dead was adapted from a comic book anyway. It's really good.
    I realize that lol, I never read it before but on AMC they have stated that.

I was just saying I had the idea of making a zombie television series when I was in HS.

Super excited for the next series though.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So I watched the first episode and I really liked it. The only question that I have is the same one that Vaark poses and how will they drag something like that out over multiple seasons.
    Quote Quote