Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ross Tucker on the Impact of Coaching

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

OPINION Ross Tucker on the Impact of Coaching

Ross Tucker from ESPN hits the nail on the head regarding the impact of coaching. I think Sparano and staff represent the antithesis of Tucker's argument.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70...aching-matters
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Tucker
    There is a palpable difference in an NFL locker room between a team that believes in the head coach and the message he is delivering and one that doesn't. I know it all too well, unfortunately. I played for five teams during my seven seasons and was coached by giants of the game like Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Joe Gibbs and Marty Schottenheimer. I was also coached by some who did not have a great command of the team, such as Dave Campo, Romeo Crennel and Steve Spurrier. The difference is like night and day.

In fairness to Campo, Crennel and Spurrier, it is always tougher for new coaches to establish credibility among the players than it is for guys who already have been there and done that.
    A key reason to hire someone like Jon Gruden versus an inexperienced coach.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Our success in 2008 was definitely in some part due to the fact that the players bought into Sparano/Parcells. That team wasn't extremely talented, but they overachieved in a major way mostly through discipline and belief, similar to what the Niners are starting to do. It all fell apart when Sparano couldn't take that into the next season...never really recovered from there, maybe partly due to the QB position, but also due to his own flaws.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oasis View Post
    Our success in 2008 was definitely in some part due to the fact that the players bought into Sparano/Parcells. That team wasn't extremely talented, but they overachieved in a major way mostly through discipline and belief, similar to what the Niners are starting to do. It all fell apart when Sparano couldn't take that into the next season...never really recovered from there, maybe partly due to the QB position, but also due to his own flaws.
    I think that was due to the fact that the regime was seen as in command and in place for a while, since it had just been hired and given a boatload of power by Wayne Huizenga.

The other major factor that year was a prototype player-leader in Chad Pennington, who also had a monster year play-wise.

Notice neither of those things is present this year. Sparano's power has been totally undermined, and there is no player-leader who's playing well.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    another MD finfan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    MD
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Makes me wish we got Harbaugh.
    Ricky and Ronnie. Best tandem in the league!
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by shouright View Post
    A key reason to hire someone like Jon Gruden versus an inexperienced coach.
    Mike McCarthy and Mike Tomlin, the coaches in the last super bowl, would probably see that a little differently.

Look at the guys he mentions as not having command of the locker room...Campo, Crennel and Spurrier...none of them have a persona of authority, none of them really exude leadership.

Look as someone like Harbaugh...that team is buying in and he didn't even have a full off season to work with them. Hue Jackson seems to be doing well with the Raiders as well.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jamestown, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Duhe View Post
    Ross Tucker from ESPN hits the nail on the head regarding the impact of coaching. I think Sparano and staff represent the antithesis of Tucker's argument.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/70...aching-matters
    Jim Schwartz and Chan Gailey in Detroit and Buffalo, respectively, are also good examples. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trio of Gailey, Harbaugh and Schwartz finished 1-2-3 in voting for COY, the winner probably being determined by which team goes the furthest in the playoffs.

I think that Sparano isn't the only veteran HC who's struggling this season. Andy Reid and Jabba the Jest are both coming under fire because their supposedly more talented teams aren't playing up to expectations.
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lexington, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoRadioactiveCam Wake 91Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinzua View Post
    Jim Schwartz and Chan Gailey in Detroit and Buffalo, respectively, are also good examples. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trio of Gailey, Harbaugh and Schwartz finished 1-2-3 in voting for COY, the winner probably being determined by which team goes the furthest in the playoffs.

I think that Sparano isn't the only veteran HC who's struggling this season. Andy Reid and Jabba the Jest are both coming under fire because their supposedly more talented teams aren't playing up to expectations.
    Chan Gailey is a retread. He was head coach of the Cowboys from 2002-2007.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quarterback play is huge in coaching sucess..

Now can a coach put his Qb in better posistion to win? Yes. Chad Pennington was not asked to do a whole lot..He was a great leader..He managed games..

That is not to say he didnt make great plays now and then cause he did..There were times when he was asked to shoulder the load and he played pretty well.. Home against NE was a great example of that..He got into a shoot out with Cassel but ended up losing..It happens.. He did play great. Against the Ravens tho in the playoffs not so much...

Miami has talent. Thats pretty clear, they are just not executing. Thats where Tony is to blame..
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    It's a trap!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dallas, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinzua View Post

I think Harbaugh gets COY, just cause he is a rookie head coach in the league, the others have had time to get familer with there players.
    Quote Quote