Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obama administration kills 16 year old American without due process.

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Obama administration kills 16 year old American without due process.

Two weeks after the U.S. killed American citizen Anwar Awlaki with a drone strike in Yemen — far from any battlefield and with no due process — it did the same to his 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman al-Awlaki, ending the teenager’s life on Friday along with his 17-year-old cousin and seven other people. News reports, based on government sources, originally claimed that Awlaki’s son was 21 years old and an Al Qaeda fighter (needless to say, as Terrorist often means: “anyone killed by the U.S.”), but a birth certificate published by The Washington Post proved that he was born only 16 years ago in Denver. As The New Yorker‘s Amy Davidson wrote: “Looking at his birth certificate, one wonders what those assertions say either about the the quality of the government’s evidence — or the honesty of its claims — and about our own capacity for self-deception.” The boy’s grandfather said that he and his cousin were at a barbecue and preparing to eat when the U.S. attacked them by air and ended their lives. There are two points worth making about this:

(1) It is unknown whether the U.S. targeted the teenager or whether he was merely “collateral damage.” The reason that’s unknown is because the Obama administration refuses to tell us. Said the Post: “The officials would not discuss the attack in any detail, including who the target was.” So here we have yet again one of the most consequential acts a government can take — killing one of its own citizens, in this case a teenage boy — and the government refuses even to talk about what it did, why it did it, what its justification is, what evidence it possesses, or what principles it has embraced in general for such actions. Indeed, it refuses even to admit it did this, since it refuses even to admit that it has a drone program at all and that it is engaged in military action in Yemen. It’s just all shrouded in total secrecy.

Of course, the same thing happened with the killing of Awlaki himself. The Executive Branch decided it has the authority to target U.S. citizens for death without due process, but told nobody (until it was leaked) and refuses to identify the principles that guide these decisions. It then concluded in a secret legal memo that Awlaki specifically could be killed, but refuses to disclose what it ruled or in which principles this ruling was grounded. And although the Obama administration repeatedly accused Awlaki of having an “operational role” in Terrorist plots, it has — as Davidson put it — “so far kept the evidence for that to itself.”

http://www.salon.com/2011/10/20/the_..._year_old_son/

The slope just got real slippery.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    who cares
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The constitution, rule of law and our morality cares. Now we're killing American children?!?! This is shameful and illegal behavior.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    maybe if his father wasnt a jihad loving piece of crap they wouldnt of had to bomb him. i understand your concern but these are different times and stuff like this is going to happen. i think you have seen "enemy of the state" one too many times.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    maybe if his father wasnt a jihad loving piece of crap they wouldnt of had to bomb him. i understand your concern but these are different times and stuff like this is going to happen. i think you have seen "enemy of the state" one too many times.
    His father was already killed 2 weeks ago. That wasn't good enough? Now we kill his child who is an American citizen. Even the mafia has more morals than we do. No matter how anyone feels about this. The rule of law and the constitution was violated by this act. Any government that violates and ignores the rule of law whenever it wants. Is a dangerous one and a threat to all of our liberty.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins9954 View Post
    His father was already killed 2 weeks ago. That wasn't good enough? Now we kill his child who is an American citizen. Even the mafia has more morals than we do. No matter how anyone feels about this. The rule of law and the constitution was violated by this act. Any government that violates and ignores the rule of law whenever it wants. Is a dangerous one and a threat to all of our liberty.
    i know, but our intelligence community obviously believed that he or someone he was with, served some kind of threat. you can recite all the benjermin franklin quotes you want, but when my 18 month daughter is going on a plane, i want her to be safe and i believe the less of these aholes that are around, the safer she will be. you will never change my mind on that.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Beach / Reno
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There are better "cause celeb-re" cases to get worked up about.
    If this "child" would have been allowed to live, he would have spawned more trouble IMHO.
    He is collateral damage IMHO...
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Too many people on earth anyways. No biggie.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    i know, but our intelligence community obviously believed that he or someone he was with, served some kind of threat. you can recite all the benjermin franklin quotes you want, but when my 18 month daughter is going on a plane, i want her to be safe and i believe the less of these aholes that are around, the safer she will be. you will never change my mind on that.
    Over 20,000 surface to air missiles went missing in Libya. Actions like these only ensure that some a-hole out there will be willing to use one. For every "terrorist" we kill with these drone attacks we kill dozens of civilians in the process. Making sure that the hatred and anger stays alive and well in the Arab world. When we're getting to the point where we're killing an American child in a country that hasn't attacked us. And there is no declaration of war. Then it's only logical to question our policies and actions especially the legality. Our policy in Yemen is volatile to say the least. Just like Pakistan it's a policy of BOMBS & BRIBES. That has only fueled the hate and anger towards the United States and the puppet governments we support. This action will only create the conditions favorable for jihadists to flourish. In fact the the Islamics in Yemen are now poised to take power as we speak. Further proof that our foreign policies aren't working.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The Truth (I promise)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gem State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd bet he wasn't the primary target and was just there at the meeting, trying to decide how best to kill Americans like Dolphins9954.
    Quote Quote