Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 24 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Paterno to retire after this season

1. -1
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo

Breaking Joe Paterno to retire after this season

http://www.boston.com/sports/college...ent_statement/

I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief.

I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today.

That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can.

This is a tragedy. It is one of the great sorrows of my life. With the benefit of hindsight, I wish I had done more.

My goals now are to keep my commitments to my players and staff and finish the season with dignity and determination. And then I will spend the rest of my life doing everything I can to help this University.
    I expected Joe to retire after this season as did most people, long before this Sandusky scandal even came up. It is sad that he has to end his historic career on this note, but I am glad he gets to go out on his own and not forced out because the media was at his door with torches and pitch forks. He deserves that much.

This Saturday will be sad to know that I am in Beaver Stadium watching Joe Paterno's last home game. Hopefully Penn State can make the Big Ten Championship game, win it and win their bowl game. Would be a great ending for Joe.

Thank you Joe for all you did for Penn State and college football. You are truly the biggest legend in college football history.

I would expect Urban Meyer or Al Golden to be the head coach next season.

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That resignation is a bunch of BS, I hope the PSU administration steps in and does the right thing by lettting him go immediately. Joe lost his right to go out on his own terms, he should be gone now.

3. -3
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

4. -4
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    I expected Joe to retire after this season as did most people, long before this Sandusky scandal even came up. It is sad that he has to end his historic career on this note, but I am glad he gets to go out on his own and not forced out because the media was at his door with torches and pitch forks. He deserves that much.
    No, he doesn't. Winning a bunch of football games doesn't mean anything in this case. What he deserves is alot worse then what he is receiving, but i would settle for an immediate firing.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing

5. -5
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    No, he doesn't. Winning a bunch of football games doesn't mean anything in this case. What he deserves is alot worse then what he is receiving, but i would settle for an immediate firing.
    I wouldn't expect you to understand. He has done a lot more than just win a bunch of football games. He doesn't deserve to be fired for something that wasn't against the law. He should have done more, but lets remember that Sandusky, not Paterno is the one who molested children.

I will be cheering on Penn State and Joe Paterno at Beaver Stadium this weekend with 110,000 of my closest friends.

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He KNEW about this and did nothing, I admired and respected Paterno before this scandal. I lost total respect for him as a leader and a man, he should never coach another game and hopefully PSU does not allow him to.

7. -7
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I wouldn't expect you to understand. He has done a lot more than just win a bunch of football games. He doesn't deserve to be fired for something that wasn't against the law. He should have done more, but lets remember that Sandusky, not Paterno is the one who molested children.

I will be cheering on Penn State and Joe Paterno at Beaver Stadium this weekend with 110,000 of my closest friends.
    Being a good human being has nothing to do with legality. Sandusky molested children and is a monster. Paterno did the bare minimum to stop it and quit trying to once the AD ignored it. Every victim since then (20+ most likely, according to SI) is a reflection of JoePa's character. He enabled it to happen. **** him.

8. -8
    mediocrity sucks

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Drum, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This douche doesn't deserve to end his career on his own note. Fire him.

9. -9
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The fact that he donated money to a library or helped a few students out here and there is utterly meaningless. JoePa did the one thing he spoke out against: he betrayed his values. The fact that he did so to, at most, protect his(and the schools) image or, at least, looked the other way due to apathy is damning part.

So your right, i dont understand. I dont understand how he should "deserve" things just because he did some good in the past. I dont understand how people can insist he should be able to continue coaching, into the future or at least to the rest of the season.
    Because when it mattered most, when the cards were on the table, when ethics always matter the most, Paterno did nothing. And in that light, im very glad i "dont understand".

10. -10
    Teddy Westside

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Paterno's silence destroyed the lives of several children. Though he didn't commit the molestation, he enabled it to continue. Paterno should be fired immediately but seeing how the school is handling this situation tells me that wont happen.