Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Paterno to retire after this season

1. -31
    Fat Kid

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nublar7 View Post
    Joe should coach this game, and should be allowed to coach the rest of the year. The media is ripping on him, because that is the point of view that will create the most buzz and water cooler talk. I get that, and Joe is not clean by any means. However, people want to make him the villian, when there are so many others much more at fault. He is the icon and that is why the pitch forks and torches are going his way. Take away the media and and the anti-PSU fan base, and you can see the MAJORITY of the world is in Joe's corner. That is a fact.
    Thats a single poll created on a single website. Hardly a world view.
    As well, if i created a poll on a website saying "Would you call the cops if you knew about a grown man molesting a child" how many people do you think would vote "yes"? Im willing to bet 99% of the people that voted would. Sadly, Joe Paterno would be the 1%.

This isnt some media concoction created to drive down the popularity of a single coach. This is a heart wretching case that effects every single person who learns about it. Its almost impossible NOT to have a strong emotion about this subject. There is a very real outrage and its a deserving outrage.

People wanted to forgive and look the other way to Bobby Bowden when FSU was caught in a cheating scandel. People still cheer for Michael Vick. Of course biased individuals are going to be quick to forgive Joe Paterno. But anyone with a sense of morality knows he screwed up big time. He himself admitted he should have done more.
    For those of us who acknowledge he is legally innocent but still morally guilty want blood in the water. We want the people who covered this up, and therefore enabled the monster to continue, locked up in the cells next to the child molester. By all accounts, by admitted statements, Paterno was one of those individuals. He could have stopped this...but didnt.

And for the record, while i was explaining why a single poll is flawed, i will say this: i really dont give a damn about poll numbers when it comes to this sort of crime. That poll could read 100% of the population in the world want him to keep coaching. Doesnt matter to me. My ethics aren't up popularity contests.
    "I'm not here to be a distraction," Pouncey said.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...ogical-testing

2. -32
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Scandal aside he should have been retired 15-20 years ago. How the hell does this mumbling, crippled old man can teach anything to any players anymore? He has been getting way too much credit the past 15 years, even receiving several awards when they should have gone to his assistants who have been doing more than him.

Maybe now PSU can become relevant again.

3. -33
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    A few more points on this.

1) Did you guys know that to this day, Joe Paterno is on the board of directors of that program Sandusky used to lure his victoms? Thats right. Heck, you can still go to the site and see his name listed(and yes Andy Reid, Arnold Palmer, Cal Ripken and others are listed, but to be fair to them, unlike Paterno, they had zero knowledge that Sandusky used the program to rape kids. They shouldve and wouldve known had Ped St been more concerned about these kids than they were the reputation of their football program.) Not only is Paterno still on the board, but the link to the program is still on the Ped St website.

Now consider this. Lets say you were very popular within a community, not even well known nationally like Paterno, but just huge in the community the way he is. Lets say you were the town fire chief and everyone knew, liked, and respected you. You know a guy who conducts a week long camp during the summer for kids and he teaches them about being a fireman and does all kinds of safety things with them. You find out the guy likes to rape kids. Are you going to continue to let this guy use your name to promote this program? Doubt it. In fact, like almost any normal person with any decency, you will contact the police upon finding out he likes to rape kids. Either way, you sure as hell arent going to continue to let the guy use your name to promote the ****ing thing.

What Paterno is doing by staying on that board of directors is promoting that program. Parents get the info on the thing and they say look, coach Paterno backs this program, it has to be good for the kids. Its a football based program backed by one of the most well respected coaches in college football. If only these parents had the same information about the man who runs it that Joe Paterno had. What kept this information from them?...... Joe Paterno and everyone else at Ped St who knew exactly what Sandusky was. Disgrace.

2) What about all those tough rules that Joe Paterno enforced on his players? How silly does it seem now that Joe Paterno went around as this guy who was supposed to be some morally superior figure? Players werent allowed to wear hats in the very same facility that apparently it was ok for his assistant coaches to rape kids in. What a crock of ****. How do you look at your players and tell them they cant wear a hat now? But, coach, you let your DC rape kids. Why cant I wear a hat?

And remember all the **** about how Paterno stated he "didnt want to leave college football to the Switzer's of the world." Hey Joe Pa. Barry Switzer has a message for you. He says, yea I may have bent quite a few rules to get the best players, but at least I never allowed one of my assistants to rape kids and keep an office in any of my buildings and keys to the whole place. Paterno just looks ridiculous now for all that holier than thou bull****.

3) Finally, there is a lot of saying that Paterno made the mistake of "turning a blind eye" or "burying his head in the sand" in this thing. But, I gotta tell ya. The circumstantial evidence suggests its much more likely that this wasnt the case. It really looks like this thing was completely swept under the rug in order to protect the dignity of the program. And that is just sad. This was all about Paterno, what he wanted, and how he wasnt going to let Sandusky raping kids hurt his legacy or tarnish the program.

At the very minimum, its a case of Paterno turning a blind eye. And even if thats just the case, he should still be fired immediately. But, if this is a case of covering this thing up all along, I dont care how old he is, the guy should get the same treatment McQueary and the other dude are getting and be charged with at least pergury.

Bottom line here is every second that goes by and the people running things at Ped St., as well as Joe Paterno(who ran Ped St. btw) arent answering questions, it just looks worse and worse. Every second that goes by where action hasnt been taken by people at Ped St. it looks worse and worse. And by action I of course mean that anyone and everyone who knew about Sandusky's actions and did not alert the authorities should be fired. Its just that simple.

And btw, anyone who attends that game and supports Penn St. on Saturday if Paterno is still the coach, should be ashamed of themselves. Supporting Paterno at this point is supporting Sandusky's actions. That POS's crimes are as horrible as anything that goes on in this world. Not doing something about it when the opportunity to do something was there is extremely disturbing. Supporting anyone who knew about it and did nothing is very disturbing as well.

4. -34
    Two Little Debbies and a cup of coffee

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo

5. -35
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    I don't have a dog in this race. I couldn't care less about PSU. The fact is, Paterno didn't call the police. Every single person that heard about these allegations or witnessed it first hand and made the decision to not call the police is almost as guilty as the child rapist himself. They are particularly responsible for every victim that occurred after the crime they witnessed.

Paterno chose not to call the police. He should be fired, at the very least.

Blame it on the media, the GOP, Obama, Willy Wonka, whoever you want. The fact is, he made a decision, a decision to turn a blind eye in an attempt to save the face of the program.

If I were a recruit, not a chance in hell. (I'll take the hookers and boat parties in South Beach, thank you)
    Last edited by Gonzo; 11-09-2011 at 10:35 PM.

6. -36
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinsanity13 View Post
    I have obviously been too critical of Joe. Not sure how he can be expected to do something about an incident he never heard about IMO.

7. -37
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinsanity13 View Post
    A few more points on this.

1) Did you guys know that to this day, Joe Paterno is on the board of directors of that program Sandusky used to lure his victoms? Thats right. Heck, you can still go to the site and see his name listed(and yes Andy Reid, Arnold Palmer, Cal Ripken and others are listed, but to be fair to them, unlike Paterno, they had zero knowledge that Sandusky used the program to rape kids. They shouldve and wouldve known had Ped St been more concerned about these kids than they were the reputation of their football program.) Not only is Paterno still on the board, but the link to the program is still on the Ped St website.

Now consider this. Lets say you were very popular within a community, not even well known nationally like Paterno, but just huge in the community the way he is. Lets say you were the town fire chief and everyone knew, liked, and respected you. You know a guy who conducts a week long camp during the summer for kids and he teaches them about being a fireman and does all kinds of safety things with them. You find out the guy likes to rape kids. Are you going to continue to let this guy use your name to promote this program? Doubt it. In fact, like almost any normal person with any decency, you will contact the police upon finding out he likes to rape kids. Either way, you sure as hell arent going to continue to let the guy use your name to promote the ****ing thing.

What Paterno is doing by staying on that board of directors is promoting that program. Parents get the info on the thing and they say look, coach Paterno backs this program, it has to be good for the kids. Its a football based program backed by one of the most well respected coaches in college football. If only these parents had the same information about the man who runs it that Joe Paterno had. What kept this information from them?...... Joe Paterno and everyone else at Ped St who knew exactly what Sandusky was. Disgrace.

2) What about all those tough rules that Joe Paterno enforced on his players? How silly does it seem now that Joe Paterno went around as this guy who was supposed to be some morally superior figure? Players werent allowed to wear hats in the very same facility that apparently it was ok for his assistant coaches to rape kids in. What a crock of ****. How do you look at your players and tell them they cant wear a hat now? But, coach, you let your DC rape kids. Why cant I wear a hat?

And remember all the **** about how Paterno stated he "didnt want to leave college football to the Switzer's of the world." Hey Joe Pa. Barry Switzer has a message for you. He says, yea I may have bent quite a few rules to get the best players, but at least I never allowed one of my assistants to rape kids and keep an office in any of my buildings and keys to the whole place. Paterno just looks ridiculous now for all that holier than thou bull****.

3) Finally, there is a lot of saying that Paterno made the mistake of "turning a blind eye" or "burying his head in the sand" in this thing. But, I gotta tell ya. The circumstantial evidence suggests its much more likely that this wasnt the case. It really looks like this thing was completely swept under the rug in order to protect the dignity of the program. And that is just sad. This was all about Paterno, what he wanted, and how he wasnt going to let Sandusky raping kids hurt his legacy or tarnish the program.

At the very minimum, its a case of Paterno turning a blind eye. And even if thats just the case, he should still be fired immediately. But, if this is a case of covering this thing up all along, I dont care how old he is, the guy should get the same treatment McQueary and the other dude are getting and be charged with at least pergury.

Bottom line here is every second that goes by and the people running things at Ped St., as well as Joe Paterno(who ran Ped St. btw) arent answering questions, it just looks worse and worse. Every second that goes by where action hasnt been taken by people at Ped St. it looks worse and worse. And by action I of course mean that anyone and everyone who knew about Sandusky's actions and did not alert the authorities should be fired. Its just that simple.

And btw, anyone who attends that game and supports Penn St. on Saturday if Paterno is still the coach, should be ashamed of themselves. Supporting Paterno at this point is supporting Sandusky's actions. That POS's crimes are as horrible as anything that goes on in this world. Not doing something about it when the opportunity to do something was there is extremely disturbing. Supporting anyone who knew about it and did nothing is very disturbing as well.
    I may have missed new info that came out, but the last I heard, the graduate assistant informed him, then he informed the school administration (or AD), but never called the police, even after nothing came of it. If that's the case, I don't see how he can't be fired. It's not like somebody reported Sandusky downloading music illegally. The dude was raping little boys. **** school protocol. Call the cops.

I heard someone being interviewed state that he likely didn't break protocol out of fear of being fired (same with the graduate assistant). **** that, get fired. Call the cops. What school would turn you down if you got fired for doing that? As for Paterno, that idea most certainly holds no water.

8. -38
    1st Ballot Hall of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CUSE
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Joe pa just voted out done as coach as of now

9. -39
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash: