Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 122

Thread: QB is all we need

  1. -71
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,016
    vCash:
    2358
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    Not to mention he asked for other examples of coaches overcoming adversity and we provided him with Harbaugh barely even having TC and not having player contact his first year as a rookie HC and somehow that not good enough. Apparently we need an example of a guy getting mauled by a bear and coaching from his hospital bed all year.

    Also he fails to understand the reason Sparano was in that position of being shopped around was because he wasnt doing a good enough job in the first place. Great thread all around.
    Indeed. The examples of coaches having it harder then Sparano are legion. Just off the top of my head:

    10) Pat Shurmur: inherits a less talented team with no offseason to not only install a West Coast offense, but also a new defense. He then quickly has to coach up a second year quarterback(who is changing offenses) but then loses his best player to injury and apparent insanity. Despite this, he has a better record than Sparano...and has also beaten him in a head to head contest.

    11) Marvin Lewis: refused to resign his contract unless Mike Brown gave into his "demands" for a practice facility and more scouts(ESPN has a larger scouting department). As is his way, Brown refused and Lewis eventually gave in...only to lose his franchise quarterback. At that point Lewis reshuffles his offensive coaching staff and hires Jay Gruden, a first time coordinator at any level. On top of all that he then is forced to start a rookie quarterback. Despite all this, his team is in the playoff hunt.

    12) Jack Del Rio: his owner publically announced that he will be fired unless he makes the playoffs. On top of this, their is a major shake up in the front office as their GM refuses to sign a contract extension because the owner refuses to resign anyone who works under the GM. Despite all this, they do whats right for the teams future(though they probably wont be around to enjoy the payoff) and draft a quarterback. Del Rio has been told point blank he will be fired, and yet his team is still playing hard and has the same record as we do. With a rookie quarterback.

    13) Hue Jackson: gets promoted to Head Coach after a single season as their coordinator, then loses his quarterback and his pro-bowl running back has missed time due to injury. Oh, and the guy who ran the team died in the middle of the season. Despite that adversity, Jackson rolled with the punches(something Sparano has never accomplished) secured another quarterback(again, never accomplished) and is now in position to win his division.

    But hey! Our owner actually spoke to another coach! My god, do you have any idea what could have happened had he spoke to 2 coaches...the insanity! The mind breaking pressure of the situation! How could this all happen to one so young!?!?!?!

    Edit: added in numbers for the running list. The Op asked for examples of other coaches succeeding where Sparano has failed, and each of those situations were more adverse than anything Sparano dealt with.
    "Ignorance is not an excuse" were the words Goodell used when describing why those involved in the Saints bounty scandal would not avoid punishment.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ons-unanswered
    Quote Quote  

  2. -72
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    1,369
    vCash:
    2742
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spesh View Post
    Indeed. The examples of coaches having it harder then Sparano are legion. Just off the top of my head:

    10) Pat Shurmur: inherits a less talented team with no offseason to not only install a West Coast offense, but also a new defense. He then quickly has to coach up a second year quarterback(who is changing offenses) but then loses his best player to injury and apparent insanity. Despite this, he has a better record than Sparano...and has also beaten him in a head to head contest.

    Shurmur had no pressure, the Browns are terrible, they've had an incredibly easy schedule and don't have a quality win...next

    11) Marvin Lewis: refused to resign his contract unless Mike Brown gave into his "demands" for a practice facility and more scouts(ESPN has a larger scouting department). As is his way, Brown refused and Lewis eventually gave in...only to lose his franchise quarterback. At that point Lewis reshuffles his offensive coaching staff and hires Jay Gruden, a first time coordinator at any level. On top of all that he then is forced to start a rookie quarterback. Despite all this, his team is in the playoff hunt.

    Marvin Lewis got lucky that Carson Palmer decided not to play, Andy Dalton is a much better player than Palmer (One of the many ****ty USC QBs for all you Barkley fans) and the real reason they've been winning is because of their strong defense. I think Marvin Lewis is a great coach, and he is doing a good job this year because despite a lack of success the owner has stuck with him. If he was in Miami you'dve called for him to be fired years ago. Here's an example of continuity winning out. Still don't believe his offseason was tougher.

    12) Jack Del Rio: his owner publically announced that he will be fired unless he makes the playoffs. On top of this, their is a major shake up in the front office as their GM refuses to sign a contract extension because the owner refuses to resign anyone who works under the GM. Despite all this, they do whats right for the teams future(though they probably wont be around to enjoy the payoff) and draft a quarterback. Del Rio has been told point blank he will be fired, and yet his team is still playing hard and has the same record as we do. With a rookie quarterback.

    Del Rio is a bad coach, Jacksonville is a terrible place to play, they arguably have the only fan base in the NFL worse than Miami's. Not to mention this is an example of a coach NOT succeeding because his owner showed a lack of support in the offseason. Next...

    13) Hue Jackson: gets promoted to Head Coach after a single season as their coordinator, then loses his quarterback and his pro-bowl running back has missed time due to injury. Oh, and the guy who ran the team died in the middle of the season. Despite that adversity, Jackson rolled with the punches(something Sparano has never accomplished) secured another quarterback(again, never accomplished) and is now in position to win his division.

    The Raiders aren't that good, and we'll prove that when we beat them next week. They mortgaged their future (2 1st rounders) for a terrible QB (Carson Palmer) although they're 6-4 right now I highly doubt they make the playoffs and they will continue to get worse as Palmer's arm strength deteriorates even further and they miss out on picking up 1st round talent for 2 years. His offseason was still not as tough as Sparano's because he was a first year coach with no expectations or pressure playing in the worst division in football the AFC West.

    But hey! Our owner actually spoke to another coach! My god, do you have any idea what could have happened had he spoke to 2 coaches...the insanity! The mind breaking pressure of the situation! How could this all happen to one so young!?!?!?!

    So basically none of these examples are tougher offseason situations than Sparano faced. Nice try, but all wrong nonetheless.

    Edit: added in numbers for the running list. The Op asked for examples of other coaches succeeding where Sparano has failed, and each of those situations were more adverse than anything Sparano dealt with.
    Look Sparano has made great decisions when necessary, whenever we've had a problem he's fixed it and done a great job. D coordinator (Nolan) O coordinator (Daboll) need a #1 WR (Marshall) need athletic LBs (Dansby, Wake, Burnett) need a seam threat at TE opposite Fasano (Clay) Need big playmakers (Bush, Gates)

    So now that Henne hasn't worked out, it's obvious our glaring need is QB, I want the guy who has done a great job fixing problems to be in charge of that search.
    Quote Quote  

  3. -73
    Phinatic8u's Avatar
    FinHeaven's Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Nov 2008
    Posts:
    9,608
    vCash:
    10446
    Loc:
    South Carolinia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91PS4 Controller2013 Dolphins Logo1972 Dolphins Logo
    People really need to stop comparing Barkley to the other USC QBs. Its a stupid uneducated argument.


    Deshaun Watson is the TRUTH!
    Quote Quote  

  4. -74
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    1,369
    vCash:
    2742
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    How about Harbaugh? Dude installed an entirely new system in a few weeks.

    The evidence to support my argument is all through this thread. You just choose to blame everything on someone else. Thats a you problem, not an info problem. Hey, Im a nice guy though. Ill humor you just to prove my point.

    1. Why is our Oline still **** after 4 years when Sparano is an Oline guru? Furthermore, why is Columbo starting?

    Our O-Line isn't ****ty, Jake Long and Pouncy are pillars for years to come, and Columbo is obviously a stop gap until we find a suitable replacement. If our o-line was so terrible Reggie Bush wouldn't be having the best season he's ever had. I will contend that a majority of the sacks we've taken have been the QB's fault. Listen this is the NFL, you have to get the ball out on time. The only person who can stand back there untouched is Tom Brady because the refs allow the Patriots to hold.

    2. How do you rationalize his clock management and his in game decisions. They, especially the clock management, are deplorable and announcers have pointed it out multiple times, as have many posters on here after multiple games.

    He's had a few major clock gaffs I'll grant you, the most egregious was against the Saints a couple of years ago, where he called the timeout at the end of the first half allowing the Saints to score. He hasn't made any major clock management gaffs this year though.

    3. Why do we so often outplay teams and lose? Ill tell you why...Tony Sparano. We consistently play not to lose and consistently fall just short or barely scrape a win out. Often it doesnt matter when we outplay teams. We settle for FGs and play a soft defense in the last few minutes and allow teams we should have put away a quarter ago to come back and win last second. Tell Tony to grow a pait of balls and put a team away instead of playing it safe.

    You guys are still holding on to this idea that we play "not to lose" still. Listen that was the first 3 years when Henning was our coordinator. We got rid of him, and have been much more aggressive this year. How else do you explain us blowing 2 teams out by 30 points?? That would've never happened with Henning at coordinator. The players have not executed well at the end of close games. Case and point, 3rd and 7 this past Thursday night, when Matt Moore threw it behind a wide open Bess. Not to mention, if he doesn't miss the open recievers in the end zone earlier in the game, we're never in that position


    4. Have you noticed we are often outcoached in the second half? You probably havent, but only because you dont want to.

    That's bull****, I simply don't agree with this statement.

    5. Tony Sparano has fired all 3 of his coordinators since he has been here. First it was all Pasqualoni's fault. Then it was Bonemego or whoevers fault. Then it was all Henning's fault. Then you hear people complain about the OL coach. What exactly does Tony do? What does he bring to the table? Its always someone elses fault. The buck stops at the HC. If you have had all 3 of your coordinators fired in the last few years, something is wrong. You know that.

    All 3 coordinators who were handpicked by one Bill Parcells. Every single hire that Sparano has made to replace the coordinators has been the right hire. You know that!

    6. Theres the whole losing record as a HC thing...and please save me the bull**** about other great coaches who had losing records at some point. GMAFB. This Dolphins team is worlds more talented that Bill B's Browns team. Get real. When Sparano gets canned, wait and see how many teams line up to sign him as HC.
    Spoiler 


    Bill B's Browns aren't the only team with a losing record w/ out a solid starting QB. My whole point is give him a QB and we'll be winning championships.

    7. We have had ONE winning season in the 4 years he has been here and have gotten progressively worse each year. Tell me it isnt true. I thought we were supposed to be improving, not heading to the ****ter even faster.

    Our team hasn't been progressively worse, the rest of our team has gotten better while the QB position has become progressively worse. So if that is fixed next year we will be much better. You can't look at our roster now vs. 08 and say we're not much better. You can't watch our team play and tell me we're not a better team. Give him a QB and watch what happens.

    8. I was at the Bill game and a Bills fan and a Bears fan were near me. The Bears fan joked with the Bills fan that at least this game might keep Sparano around. They both laughed and joked about how they hoped he wouldnt be fired and how the Dolphins will never be a consistently good team with him. Yeah...opposing fans love your boy.

    Oh yea cuz Bills fans and Bears fans are the smartest people around please. I'm assuming they are from the South Florida and read the dribble your ****ty columnists write. Omar, mando, etc. have NO football knowledge whatsoever, they were the nerds that didn't make the football team, and think they know what's going on because they watch the games and talking head shows. Please, if you can't tell I'm not a big believer in following sheep to the slaughter. And that's the main problem with this board. There's a few people who make legitimate arguments/ points (i'll include you as one of those) and then everyone else jumps on the bandwagon, makes stupid quips, but when it comes time to explain their reasoning they are at a loss for words. They say Tony ****** because it's fashionable, they're the idiots at the cocktail party desperate for approval.

    Thats just off the top of my head. I didnt even talk about player acquisitions which he no doubt had some influence in. Im sure Ill think of more stuff later and add on. Feel free to defend him all you like. Just know that NOBODY shares your opinion. Not even NFL guys as will be evidenced by him not getting another HC job. Youre probably the only right person in the world though. Everyone else on earth is probably wrong. Carry on.
    While some of your points are valid, I believe he's addressed all of his problems. I think everyone is entitled to mistakes, the fact is everyone makes em, people who succeed are excellent at correcting these mistakes, and I believe Tony has proved he excels at it.

    ---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Phinatic8u View Post
    People really need to stop comparing Barkley to the other USC QBs. Its a stupid uneducated argument.
    How so?
    Quote Quote  

  5. -75
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    20,845
    vCash:
    20615
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post
    While some of your points are valid, I believe he's addressed all of his problems. I think everyone is entitled to mistakes, the fact is everyone makes em, people who succeed are excellent at correcting these mistakes, and I believe Tony has proved he excels at it.

    ---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------



    How so?
    It's a totally legitimate comparison. I can't tell you how happy I am that we didn't draft the next Kyle Boller: Aaron Rodgers.





    Quote Quote  

  6. -76
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    1,369
    vCash:
    2742
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    It's a totally legitimate comparison. I can't tell you how happy I am that we didn't draft the next Kyle Boller: Aaron Rodgers.
    Listen, as I explained earlier, no other school has provided a sample size of overhyped QB's than USC, and it makes sense, it has to do with their piss poor attitudes and lack of leadership qualities. Their growth and ability to lead by example is stunted by the Hollywood like campus they grow in.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -77
    Gonzo's Avatar
    Administrator

    Status:
    Online
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    20,845
    vCash:
    20615
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post
    Listen, as I explained earlier, no other school has provided a sample size of overhyped QB's than USC, and it makes sense, it has to do with their piss poor attitudes and lack of leadership qualities. Their growth and ability to lead by example is stunted by the Hollywood like campus they grow in.
    Cool. I'll exclude Kyle Boller then. How about the next Pat Barnes? Dave Barr? Mike Pawlawski? Troy Taylor? Ken O'Brien?

    No worries KC, Palko is definitely the next Marino.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -78
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jul 2010
    Posts:
    1,369
    vCash:
    2742
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Cool. I'll exclude Kyle Boller then. How about the next Pat Barnes? Dave Barr? Mike Pawlawski? Troy Taylor? Ken O'Brien?

    No worries KC, Palko is definitely the next Marino.
    Listen man, your grasping at straws to make me look like an idiot, but you're making yourself look like one.

    The similarities in Palmer, Booty, Leinart, and Sanchez are undeniable; particularly Palmer, Leinart, and Sanchez, as overhyped QB prospects who benefited from being on supremely talented football teams. Leinart and Sanchez both exhibited the same type of attitudes that Barkley has, and both of their attitudes have proved to be their undoing in the NFL.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -79
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,016
    vCash:
    2358
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post
    Look Sparano has made great decisions when necessary, whenever we've had a problem he's fixed it and done a great job. D coordinator (Nolan) O coordinator (Daboll) need a #1 WR (Marshall) need athletic LBs (Dansby, Wake, Burnett) need a seam threat at TE opposite Fasano (Clay) Need big playmakers (Bush, Gates)

    So now that Henne hasn't worked out, it's obvious our glaring need is QB, I want the guy who has done a great job fixing problems to be in charge of that search.
    Welcome back, glad your head didnt explode, though it is amusing that you could not stand up with your own argument and had to do exactly what i suggested: wait until i provide you with examples that you will attempt to refute. Your response was very creative and impressive: "They suck, they got lucky and you would have rooted against him anyways, they suck, they aren't that good". Amazing! How can i stand up against such adversity?!?! Suppose i could be like Sparano and lay down on the job...but alas, here i go.

    I listed 2 examples of an owner directly causing damage to their team, another example of their owner dying on the job, and an example of a rookie coach rebuilding the entire team and losing his best player. And yet, all those things don't equal the emotional heart ache that poor old Tony Sparano had to go through because his owner actually, incrediably, spoke to another human being that just so happened to be a coach. OH THE HUMANITY!
    Despite the outstanding counter argument you provided, you missed one thing: all those teams are doing better or as good as Miami. The coach you called "bad"(Del Rio) literally has the same record as Miami despite having a worse team and using a rookie quarterback. Del Rio was given an ultimatium by his owner and that was because(like Sparano) he has had extremely little success in previous seasons. And yet, Del Rio still did the right thing by trying to secure the quarterback position then coaching up that player. What did Sparano do in the face of adversity? Draft a center and continued kicking field goals. Hue Jackson? Only has his team in first place of his division despite the death of his owner. Can you say the same about Miami?

    Sparano has not made "great decisions when necessary". How in gods name do you call supporting Henning and bashing our offensive players a "great decision"? How do you call hiring Daboll a "great job" when we have lost 8 out of 11 games? It honestly doesn't matter what holes Sparano has filled(hilarious that you credit Sparano with Cameron Wake...especially when Sparano himself admitted he made a mistake by benching Wake so much during his first season) since he hasnt fixed the biggest one: quarterback. By the way, when was Gates labeled a playmaker this season? Must have missed that.

    "So now that Henne hasn't worked out, its obvious our glaring need is QB"........Freaking really? This must be a Tony Sparano thing, because people on this forum figured this out a year ago. How is it, as Sparano is some superior genius coaching material, that we now need a quarterback? How was this problem not glaring obvious a year ago? How come it takes a total train wreck to point out to our coaching staff which position is a weakness?
    Andy Reid has made a science of trading away players before they fall apart. Even Belicheat has figured out when to get rid of players(Randy Moss for a 3rd rounder in the middle of the season?). And yet, this amazingly awesome head coach that we currently have cannot figure out that "hey, i might not have a quarterback". This inspirational source of coaching guru-ness cant figure out that Bobby Carpenter and Marc Colombo might not be the best fit for his team until weeeeell after other teams blow those players up.

    Yeah, new coaches that had no offseason, owners admitting they would fire them, coaches that lost franchise quarterbacks, and coaches who's owner died while running the team all faced less adversity than Tony Sparano. Why? Because our owner actually spoke to another coach. And that means Sparano shouldnt be faulted for a 3-8 record. Because, like, he has totally done alot of good before. You can tell that by the multiple losing seasons in the past.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -80
    Spesh's Avatar
    Fat Kid

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    8,016
    vCash:
    2358
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WesternNYDolfan View Post
    Listen man, your grasping at straws to make me look like an idiot, but you're making yourself look like one.

    The similarities in Palmer, Booty, Leinart, and Sanchez are undeniable; particularly Palmer, Leinart, and Sanchez, as overhyped QB prospects who benefited from being on supremely talented football teams. Leinart and Sanchez both exhibited the same type of attitudes that Barkley has, and both of their attitudes have proved to be their undoing in the NFL.
    If he is, it isnt that difficult of a task.

    There is very little comparability between Barkley and John David Booty. To judge quarterbacks because they go to the same school is the same as comparing coaches because they lack franchise quarterbacks at times......Whoops!

    For the record, you do know that while Leinhart was obsessed with partying it up and stayed in school to get trashed and hit on cheerleaders Matt Barkley was busy spending his time as quarterback going to help run orphanages in South Africa...right?
    Quote Quote  

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •