Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sounds like Bama is in

1. -11
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I was kinda hoping for the OSU matchup, but Im not sure why its such an outrage that Bama got it. You can make a compelling case for OSU, but its not like Bama was undeserving IMO.

Both Alabama and Oklahoma St. lost control of their own destiny when they lost. Bama lost to the #1 team in the country in overtime by a field goal. Oklahoma St. lost to an unranked team.

The bottom line is both teams had to leave it up to the system... and the system got it right. The two best teams in the country will play for the national title.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    this is why we need a playoff system. alabama lost to lsu, at home, yet they still get to play in the bcs title game. lsu now has to beat alabama twice this year to be deemed champions, while alabama will only have to beat lsu once.

for the people that like to argue how this is what makes college football exciting that every game matters, well apparantley not considering that alabama did not even win their conference, in the biggest game of the year, in Tuscaloosa vs lsu and they score 6 pts and lose, and yet here they are come jan 9th in the title game.

i will admit, it was very impressive how they were able to be Georgia southern late in the year, after 2nd thoughts, maybe they do deserve it. this whole bcs system is a farce.

P.S, i am not a lsu fan, or really a fan of any team in college football, so if u read this rant, dont think i am a fan of a certain team or have a certain hatred for a team, i am just telling it like i see it.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovemyfins4eva View Post
    this is why we need a playoff system. alabama lost to lsu, at home, yet they still get to play in the bcs title game. lsu now has to beat alabama twice this year to be deemed champions, while alabama will only have to beat lsu once.

for the people that like to argue how this is what makes college football exciting that every game matters, well apparantley not considering that alabama did not even win their conference, in the biggest game of the year, in Tuscaloosa vs lsu and they score 6 pts and lose, and yet here they are come jan 9th in the title game.

i will admit, it was very impressive how they were able to be Georgia southern late in the year, after 2nd thoughts, maybe they do deserve it. this whole bcs system is a farce.

P.S, i am not a lsu fan, or really a fan of any team in college football, so if u read this rant, dont think i am a fan of a certain team or have a certain hatred for a team, i am just telling it like i see it.

I remember in 1996 when Florida St. beat Florida 24-21 in the regular season... only to have to beat them again in the national championship game a month later. Except Florida St. lost 52-20 in the rematch.

Teams have to beat other teams twice all the time in the NFL in order to win the superbowl. They have to do it in MLB in order to win a world series. It happens in every sport.

I remember when Duke beat Michigan in the regular season in basketball several years back... only to have to face them again in the national title game. Duke lost.

I'm all for a playoff.

If the rest of the country is having a hard time with this one, I can't imagine how much hair they'll pull out once we have a playoff format.... this would only be the beginning of more all SEC national championship games than the rest of the country can handle...
    Quote Quote  

4. -14

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Here's a perfect article to get the point across about how the SEC has actually been screaming the loudest in favor of a playoff.... don't blame the SEC for the rematch... it's exactly what they were trying to avoid. It's the other conferences that didn't want it....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...jection_120311
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    durka durka

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have no problem with the rematch--it should be a great game.

Still want a playoff. It's probably the closest we're going to get to an equalizer. Some great teams have lost just once in a season, and in the eyes of those who judge didn't do enough to make up for it. If you only have doormats & cupcakes left on your schedule, you can't make up for it and your championship hopes are over in Sept/Oct. Would also be exciting for the fans to see if their team could adapt to the varying styles of football they'd face through the playoffs.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Ours is the fury.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    I remember in 1996 when Florida St. beat Florida 24-21 in the regular season... only to have to beat them again in the national championship game a month later. Except Florida St. lost 52-20 in the rematch.

Teams have to beat other teams twice all the time in the NFL in order to win the superbowl. They have to do it in MLB in order to win a world series. It happens in every sport.

I remember when Duke beat Michigan in the regular season in basketball several years back... only to have to face them again in the national title game. Duke lost.

I'm all for a playoff.

If the rest of the country is having a hard time with this one, I can't imagine how much hair they'll pull out once we have a playoff format.... this would only be the beginning of more all SEC national championship games than the rest of the country can handle...
    To be fair that comparison is somewhat apples-to-oranges. It was a different system back then based almost solely on bowl tie-ins and the UF-FSU Sugar Bowl was a #1 vs. #3 matchup and the two had just rematched in the Sugar Bowl two years earlier. They both won their conferences too. It was only set up as a title game because Nebraska lost to Texas in the Big XII title game that year and Ohio State beat undefeated #2 ASU in the last minute of the Rose Bowl that year.

All that said, this rematch doesn't bother me at all. Bama lost an OT thriller by a FG to what is without a doubt the best team in college football. I won't mind watching it again. If OSU hadn't lost to a 27 point dog, this discussion would not be happening right now.
    but when the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was "Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stannis Baratheon
    Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by COphinphan89 View Post
    To be fair that comparison is somewhat apples-to-oranges. It was a different system back then based almost solely on bowl tie-ins and the UF-FSU Sugar Bowl was a #1 vs. #3 matchup and the two had just rematched in the Sugar Bowl two years earlier. They both won their conferences too. It was only set up as a title game because Nebraska lost to Texas in the Big XII title game that year and Ohio State beat undefeated #2 ASU in the last minute of the Rose Bowl that year.

All that said, this rematch doesn't bother me at all. Bama lost an OT thriller by a FG to what is without a doubt the best team in college football. I won't mind watching it again. If OSU hadn't lost to a 27 point dog, this discussion would not be happening right now.

Which was my point, even though I didn't mention Nebraska. Nebraska messed their britches against Texas, just like Oklahoma St. messed theirs against Iowa St. when they controlled their own destiny and were already #2 in the BCS after Bama lost to LSU.

Different system, almost an identical scenario, except this one is actually much cleaner.

It's a clear #1 vs. #2 matchup given the system that's currently in place. Being a conference champion is irrelevant in a playoff or the BCS... there's no point in bringing it up.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    its the best matchup...both lsu and bama would chew up okla st in a matchup...i'm fine with lsu bama all over again...and just like the last time i'm sticking with lsu...looks like another field position and specials game to me
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Both Alabama and Oklahoma St. lost control of their own destiny when they lost. Bama lost to the #1 team in the country in overtime by a field goal. Oklahoma St. lost to an unranked team.

The bottom line is both teams had to leave it up to the system... and the system got it right. The two best teams in the country will play for the national title.
    Pretty much sums it up. As much as I would have liked to see Luck and Weeden go against SEC defense, that's strictly the NFL fan in me talking. The NCAA fan agrees with this. I'd kill to be in New Orleans on Jan. 9th.

Actually, maybe I'll fly down just to be in the city during the game. Good times!

Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    what a complete joke college football is. 'Bama had a chance to beat LSU on their HOME FIELD, 'Bama didn't even make their conf title game yet they will play for the National Championship. CFB is such a disgrace.
    Quote Quote