Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Playing With Nothing to Lose vs. Playing With Nothing to Gain

  1. -11
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2011
    Posts:
    312
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think you just play faster, more confident when less is on the line. Like that cowboys kicker yesterday. Yea he made the kick when he knew damn well it didn't count. It's when he had the time to think about all the things that could go wrong, well that's just when things go wrong.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -12
    Shouright's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    15,064
    vCash:
    1543
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DcDolfan420 View Post
    I think you just play faster, more confident when less is on the line. Like that cowboys kicker yesterday. Yea he made the kick when he knew damn well it didn't count. It's when he had the time to think about all the things that could go wrong, well that's just when things go wrong.
    So do you actually think that in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, for example, when a lot more is on the line, teams play slower and with less confidence?
    Quote Quote  

  3. -13
    Starter

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2011
    Posts:
    312
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yea kind of, the thing thing is in the playoffs everyones scared to death, so that kind of evens the playing feild. I don't think the only reason or even the main reason this team is winning now is because of a lack of pressure but I do think it's a factor. The real reason were winning is because were LOADED and Sean Smith has somehow managed to pull his head out of his ***, dude's 6'3.5 and LOOOONNGGG, it's about freakin time. I mean I remember a game the Dolphins played against the Vikings a few years back when the Vikings had Culpepper. It was the end of the year and we needed to win to get in the playoffs and they were mathametically out. I remember they had the ball and it was 4th and 2 or 3 on like the 50 or something. If they punted they had a great chance to win but if they went for it and got it they would win. So what did the a******* do, they wen't for cause s***, they had NOTHING TO LOOSE. Of course they got it and won, God I hate Culpooper.
    Quote Quote  

  4. -14
    TonyGsharp's Avatar
    As good as any but better than most

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2011
    Posts:
    234
    vCash:
    1037
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have to disagree with you. They are very much so playing for gain. They are playing for:

    Jobs (No one wants to get cut or traded. They want to prove they belong on this roster. They want their stable paychecks.)
    Pride (You'd be hard pressed to find a professional athlete that wants to be a loser.)
    Ego (They want to forget as much as possible about that 0-7 start and prove to themselves and others that they are good football players.)
    Quote Quote  

  5. -15
    TonyGsharp's Avatar
    As good as any but better than most

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2011
    Posts:
    234
    vCash:
    1037
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If I wanted, I could also make an argument for the "winning with no pressure" excuse.

    We're an abysmal 0-7, and since the season appears lost, we beat the Chiefs, Redskins, and Bills.
    Then, when it seems like there could be a chance to make the playoffs and win out, we feel the pressure against Dallas and lose.
    Finally, after the playoffs are almost impossible to reach, we beat Oakland.

    I'm not sure if I 100% believe that because I do think we have talent on this team, I'm just pointing out that it makes sense. We'll need to see how we finish the season.
    Quote Quote  

  6. -16
    Shouright's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    15,064
    vCash:
    1543
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyGsharp View Post
    I have to disagree with you. They are very much so playing for gain. They are playing for:

    Jobs (No one wants to get cut or traded. They want to prove they belong on this roster. They want their stable paychecks.)
    Pride (You'd be hard pressed to find a professional athlete that wants to be a loser.)
    Ego (They want to forget as much as possible about that 0-7 start and prove to themselves and others that they are good football players.)
    So does all that create pressure? And if it does, then how can the absence of pressure be the active ingredient in winning here?

    And you wouldn't be disagreeing with me, because I haven't said they're playing with nothing to lose.

    Again, the "playing with nothing to lose" point is what others have said. I'm simply asking for someone to justify how that would translate to winning, because to me it makes no sense.

    When I see Green Bay go down the field in under a minute for the winning field goal against New York, for example, I have trouble believing that these athletes thrive when there is "nothing to lose" and "no pressure," as opposed to playing better the more there is to play for.
    Quote Quote  

  7. -17
    Shouright's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    15,064
    vCash:
    1543
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyGsharp View Post
    If I wanted, I could also make an argument for the "winning with no pressure" excuse.

    We're an abysmal 0-7, and since the season appears lost, we beat the Chiefs, Redskins, and Bills.
    Then, when it seems like there could be a chance to make the playoffs and win out, we feel the pressure against Dallas and lose.
    Finally, after the playoffs are almost impossible to reach, we beat Oakland.

    I'm not sure if I 100% believe that because I do think we have talent on this team, I'm just pointing out that it makes sense. We'll need to see how we finish the season.
    That's not really an argument for how the absence of pressure translates to winning.

    How is it exactly that the absence of pressure makes a team play better? What is the mechanism of action there?

    Until someone can provide that explanation, the theory makes no sense.

    Here's an analogue to your point: every morning we see the sun come up, and at night we see it go down. So therefore space aliens are pulling the sun in and out of our line of vision at those times of day. We can't see them doing this because they're too far away.

    The explanation fits with the observable data, but it doesn't make sense theoretically.

    Same with your example. Playing with no pressure fits with the observable data, but the theory of how playing without pressure translates to better play is absent.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -18
    Shouright's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    15,064
    vCash:
    1543
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DcDolfan420 View Post
    Yea kind of, the thing thing is in the playoffs everyones scared to death, so that kind of evens the playing feild.
    So in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, teams play slower and with less confidence because they're scared to death.

    Your argument is crumbling.

    Not everyone curls up into a fetal position when there's something on the line, and certainly not athletes with the track records of NFL players.
    Quote Quote  

  9. -19
    tylerdolphin's Avatar
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Sep 2005
    Posts:
    12,423
    vCash:
    4845
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 91
    I dont think pressure factored in one way or the other. I just think the team is playing better now because of a new QB and God knows what happened on defense.




    Quote Quote  

  10. -20
    Shouright's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2004
    Posts:
    15,064
    vCash:
    1543
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdolphin View Post
    I dont think pressure factored in one way or the other. I just think the team is playing better now because of a new QB and God knows what happened on defense.
    On defense I suspect the issue is that the leader on that side of the ball and the "quarterback" of the defense, Karlos Dansby, has rallied around Tony Sparano and gotten his teammates to do the same.

    That IMO has taken the group from a very complacent bunch to a very driven one.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Tired of the playing not to lose mentality..
    By dabeastdabone in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-24-2012, 10:00 PM
  2. the way this team is playing we may not lose until
    By sinPHIN in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 09:08 PM
  3. Well we are going to lose now, Reshad Jones is playing.
    By RobertHorry in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 03:00 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
  5. Who else is tired of playing not to lose
    By DKphin in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 12-15-2008, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •