Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

1. -1
    InRegioneCaecorum RexEstLusces

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland (lookn4 Myles)
    Thanks / No Thanks

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Downloaded the Stieg Larsson trilogy and just finished e-reading this first one. Although it was pretty good, there were some unforeseen twists and turns, and the characters were interesting, I didn't think it quite lived up to the glowing advanced billing. I'm definitely keen on seeing what they did with this heavily promoted movie and would appreciate reading feedback from anyone who's gonna see it.

The author, a journalist, just like one of his protagonists, died at 50, climbing up 7 flights of stairs to his office in Stockholm because the elevator was down. His works were written leisurely as a self-indulgence and published posthumously. If anyone's interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stieg_Larsson

DWade "Loyalty Over Royalty"
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    durka durka

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Haven't read it yet, but I saw the film version with Noomi Rapace (2009). I like Daniel Craig's work a great deal, but I just don't see the point in a remake two years after the original's release. The same was done with "Let the Right One in" vs "Let Me In", and even though they are different interpretations IMO it really diminishes the overall idea. Give it a decade at least. Just a personal pet peeve.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am very interested in watching this movie but I am sure you will find yourself disappointed since you have read the books. You know the cliché. The book is always better than the movie. Of course part of the reason is the attempt to squeeze an awesome book into a two hour movie but I think in many cases, without that omniscient narrator, it's hard for the director to put the same story on screen.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WeVie View Post
    I am very interested in watching this movie but I am sure you will find yourself disappointed since you have read the books. You know the cliché. The book is always better than the movie. Of course part of the reason is the attempt to squeeze an awesome book into a two hour movie but I think in many cases, without that omniscient narrator, it's hard for the director to put the same story on screen.
    you're right; rarely can a movie live up to the book... too many concessions must be made. An exception to that is what they did with the great Cormac McCarthy's "No Country For Old Men." Hollyweird also did a pretty good job turning another author I enjoy, Chuck Hogan's "Prince of Thieves" into "The Town."

I've long thought that there's potential in using a good plotline but bad/unsuccessful book as the bones on which to build for essentially re-writing and enhancing the storytelling via the big screen.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles Fynch View Post
    Haven't read it yet, but I saw the film version with Noomi Rapace (2009). I like Daniel Craig's work a great deal, but I just don't see the point in a remake two years after the original's release. The same was done with "Let the Right One in" vs "Let Me In", and even though they are different interpretations IMO it really diminishes the overall idea. Give it a decade at least. Just a personal pet peeve.
    I didn't realize that a movie adaptation had already been made; never heard of it. It does seem kind of premature (or is that a sensitive word with you Myles?). They must have jumped on it quickly since I believe the first version of the book was published in Sweden not all that long ago in 08. I've read a review that the writer's part which was actually first and foremost as the stories ran parallel, in this version takes a secondary role to Lisbeth's.

A friend who read the trilogy told me that actually the middle book, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" was in his estimation the best of the 3.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    you're right; rarely can a movie live up to the book... too many concessions must be made. An exception to that is what they did with the great Cormac McCarthy's "No Country For Old Men." Hollyweird also did a pretty good job turning another author I enjoy, Chuck Hogan's "Prince of Thieves" into "The Town."

I've long thought that there's potential in using a good plotline but bad/unsuccessful book as the bones on which to build for essentially re-writing and enhancing the storytelling via the big screen.
    Of course there are always exceptions. One right off the top of my head is The Green Mile. That was an amazing movie that almost follow the book to a tee.

What I don't understand is why the movies producers or directors choose to change what is already considered a great work of art. Take for instance, I Am Legend. While I did not read teh book, I know they drastically changed the ending and many of the fans of the book were really upset about it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    durka durka

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
    I didn't realize that a movie adaptation had already been made; never heard of it. It does seem kind of premature (or is that a sensitive word with you Myles?). They must have jumped on it quickly since I believe the first version of the book was published in Sweden not all that long ago in 08. I've read a review that the writer's part which was actually first and foremost as the stories ran parallel, in this version takes a secondary role to Lisbeth's.

A friend who read the trilogy told me that actually the middle book, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" was in his estimation the best of the 3.
    There are three movies already... since 2009. Not going to slam it as I like the cast of the new trilogy, but my feeling stands that it would be stronger after some distance in time.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin1972 Dolphins LogoJurassic WorldCam Wake 91
    I was able to watch the newest release of this movie over the weekend.

It is done in typical David Fincher (Director) style, so think of Zodiac and Social Network.

Daniel Craig was very good as usual and in my opinion, Rooney Mara was exceptional as the title character.

Not as gory or graphic as the 2009 version (Swedish version), but still has its moments that make you cringe.

Worth a watch if you got the time and dough.

- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
    "...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
    "If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."

Twitter
    - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched the movie today and I thought it was really good although the ending was kinda disappointing. I would recommend it. I am going to grab the books now.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    princeton,nj
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I saw this today and liked it a lot. A lot better then Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy, which almost put me to sleep. I like Craig a lot. He is a great actor. I thought Mara was good too, as was the rest of the cast. I thought it dragged a little in the end, but it was generally good. Is this the start of a trilogy and if so, is Maras character in them all as well?

Quote Quote