Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OLB's / Pass Rushers

1. -11
    Ryan tannehill...like a boss

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    oh yeah ricky sapp...who has been trash in the pros...and no thanks on vinny curry...
    hoops scoops 2012 season ..."in 2014 ryan tannehill etches his name in stone amongst the games elite qbs"..."ryan tannehill and andrew luck will carry the afc for the next decade plus the way peyton manning and tom brady have this last decade plus"
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    And I was not in favor of drafting Ricky Sapp, so I don't get your point there. If we don't get an OLB to replace Taylor we are in trouble. Like it or not, one will be drafted if we don't sign one in FA.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    fair enough...i'm just not much of a fan of the edge pass rusher class options period...don't like curry don't like branch...i like bruce irvins tools don't like his size don't like coples in a 34 period

i like the depth better elsewhere...
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    What about Sammy Brown in the mid-rounds??

Has anybody seen Jake Bequette play?

They are going to have to have to pick up some depth at least. I like the idea of adding FA Kroy Bierman. With Taylor retiring and Trusnick being worthless and Ike Francis being clueless, this is an area that is going to need some serious attention.

I would expect our division rivals to eat up all the good prospects in the first three rounds. Bills,Jets, and Patriots all need pass rushers.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    richmond va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    kroy bierman has got some pass rush talent...he's underrated imo...not sure i like him though as a 34 olb but i do think he could help us in 4 man pass rush fronts...
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Branch is probably all over the place because he's only had one year of legitimate production. He doesn't have an explosive first step whatsoever, slow to get off the snap. Furthermore, I think people have become weary of Clemson defensive ends. Gaines Adams, Phillip Merling, Ricky Sapp, DaQuan Bowers, and now Andre Branch were all overrated. Branch is still raw in technique, but I actually like him better than I did any of the Clemson DE's that came before him... I didn't like any of them.

As for Coples, I don't know why a team would try to project him as an OLB, but he could probably play a little bit from a 2-point stance. He's done it at UNC. The concern with Coples is that he doesn't play up to the "freakish" attributes he possesses. Also concerns that he's not a team player and only cares about his draft stock. UNC tried to get him to move back inside so they could get more explosive pass rushers on the field at DE (Donta Paige-Moss) but Coples refused because he was worried it would hinder his draft stock.

Coples is one of those guys who is impossible to predict in the NFL. If he wants to, he'll dominate and be a pro-bowler. If he doesn't, he'll fizzle out. Nobody knows how bad he wants it other than him. All you can go on is what you see on the tape.... and on the tape he's not quite as dominant as he's supposed to be.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hooshoops View Post
    kroy bierman has got some pass rush talent...he's underrated imo...not sure i like him though as a 34 olb but i do think he could help us in 4 man pass rush fronts...
    He played OLB in college at Montana and had a great career. He should be a natural in the 3-4.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'd take a look at Brandon Lindsey from Pitt. Been a starter at LB, but last year moved to DE for a season when Greg Romeus got hurt and put together a very good season.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I went back and watched some more of several of these guys last night with this particular thread in mind. Jake Bequette is a guy that I've mentioned literally dozens of times as one of the most underrated players in the country at his position, and I believe CKParrothead is rather fond of him also. However, he's strictly a 4-3 DE. Very stiff and doesn't at all project as a standup linebacker in my opinion. Bequette and Malik Jackson are two DE's that I think are pretty underrated.

Moving on, I watched more of Andre Branch (specifically his game against South Carolina where Clemson's defense got drilled... which is why I chose that game.) One of his sacks came on a play where he was completely unblocked at the LOS, and South Carolina tried to block him with a freshman tailback, Brandon Wilds.

His other sack was actually more of a 'clean-up' sack. The actual play was made by Malliciah Goodman in the backfield by destroying his blocker, Branch just happened to be in the right spot to clean it up and get credit for the sack. Other than these two plays, Branch got no real pressure on Connor Shaw, and didn't flat out beat his offensive lineman on a single play throughout the whole game.

I also watched some of Sammy Brown. The positive for Sammy Brown is that he obviously already plays from a 2-point stance in Houston's 3-4 defense. His TFL's are a little inflated due to being the over-hanging weakside defender where all he does is tee off in the backfield on every single snap. He likes to chase the play down from the backside when unblocked on zone running plays. He's not required to play "honest" by dropping into coverage, scraping backs out of the backfield, or setting the edge. He's strictly a weakside linebacker in the NFL.

He has a decent first step, although his best move is an inside counter to beat the tackle's post leg. Doesn't look very physical and can stay blocked and get washed out in the run game. Joseph Fauria had little trouble blocking him in the run game. Probably a situational pass rusher right now who could help out in nickel situations. Would be a more effective pass rusher on 3rd downs than Koa Misi currently is, although he's not as complete of a player.

Reminds me a little bit of the Chris Carter kid CK was gushing over last year coming out of Fresno St.
    Quote Quote  

10. -20

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Johnson is a kid who I actually get more impressed by the more I watch him. He absolutely tortured Brandon Washington when UVA played Miami.

He's a beautiful looking specimen of a DE/OLB hybrid. Well proportioned throughout his entire body.... looks the part. Re-directs better than you think because of instincts, and is always in control of his feet.

Average 1st step. Not great. Not bad.

The only thing is I haven't seen him play from a 2-point stance, he plays with his hand on the ground. Linebacker drills are going to tell the story with Cam Johnson as to how well he projects as an OLB. Although I did see him drop into coverage once in the Miami game on a zone blitz when Miami was in the red zone... the ball went right by him for a touchdown.

He has natural power in his hands, he just needs to learn how to use them better to shed blocks quicker.

Needs to add a spin move or some sort of counter and he'd have more sacks. He's not going to bend the arc and beat tackles with speed by lowering his shoulder and getting underneath them the way Brian Orakpo or Cam Wake can. He's not that type of player. I think if he shows well in linebacker drills, he'll be looked at as a potential strongside candidate as a standup OLB.
    Quote Quote