Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OLB's / Pass Rushers

1. -21
    Hartselle Tigers (15-0) 5-A State Champ

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Bruce Irvin is easily the best pure athlete I've seen of all the potential 'hybrid' candidates. Re-directs and changes direction as quickly and easily as Von Miller did.... Irvin is that caliber of athlete. Amazing agility.... and can cover ground like a safety. Terrific motor and is always hustling and chasing until the whistle.

Dynamite 1st step and initial quickness off the snap.

However, he hasn't yet learned how to convert his speed into power on initial contact with his blocker. Nothing in terms of a bullrush, and doesn't have the lead in his pants to anchor effectively.... strictly a rush 3-4 'backer.

Still very raw as a defender. Gets by mostly on athletic ability and doesn't yet understand what leverage and discipline on defense is all about. Although outside of the SEC, those things really aren't stressed by coaches in college football anyway. They teach just enough to get them by due to restraints on practice time.

Plenty of upside with Bruce Irvin.
    Quote Quote  

2. -22
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TedSlimmJr View Post
    Bruce Irvin is easily the best pure athlete I've seen of all the potential 'hybrid' candidates. Re-directs and changes direction as quickly and easily as Von Miller did.... Irvin is that caliber of athlete. Amazing agility.... and can cover ground like a safety. Terrific motor and is always hustling and chasing until the whistle.

Dynamite 1st step and initial quickness off the snap.

However, he hasn't yet learned how to convert his speed into power on initial contact with his blocker. Nothing in terms of a bullrush, and doesn't have the lead in his pants to anchor effectively.... strictly a rush 3-4 'backer.

Still very raw as a defender. Gets by mostly on athletic ability and doesn't yet understand what leverage and discipline on defense is all about. Although outside of the SEC, those things really aren't stressed by coaches in college football anyway. They teach just enough to get them by due to restraints on practice time.

Plenty of upside with Bruce Irvin.
    Hey Ted, I haven`t seen you promoting C.Upshaw as our pick or in general as a prospect, is there any red flags with him or what`s up there?
    Draft:
    1/ R.Shazier OLB
    2/ C.Borland MLB
    3/ G.Jackson OG
    4/ J.Hurst OT
    Quote Quote  

3. -23
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I feel like I've got a good handle on Coples. Even better handle on him after that bowl game. I'm not backing away from him, I'm sprinting toward him. Dominant player. Would you put him at 3-4 OLB? Ideally no but I wouldn't shy away from it either. It would depend on what else you have, what other resources and how you feel you have to best leverage them.

Cam Johnson is IMO a very interesting player. He looks like a linebacker in proportioning and even in some of his movements, but a jumbo sized linebacker. It's like how you don't realize some point guards or two guards are 6'6" until you stand them next to another normal/athletically proportioned human that is 6'0". That's how it strikes me when Cam stands next to his fellow teammate linebackers. Not unlike Allen Bailey, come to think on it.

I like players that break the mold a little. I'd like to see Cam stay at DE because I feel like he has the potential to make plays vs run and pass as a guy that can attack and shed, and get after the passer. Those dual threats are a little more rare than you'd think nowadays.

But, if you get him into LB drills and he kills it, I suppose I could be convinced to put him in space.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

4. -24

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdandinches View Post
    Hey Ted, I haven`t seen you promoting C.Upshaw as our pick or in general as a prospect, is there any red flags with him or what`s up there?
    None. I have zero doubt that Courtney Upshaw is the most dominant defensive player I've seen in college football this year, and most of last year too, behind only Marcell Dareus and Von Miller. He's the #2 defensive player in the draft behind Morris Claiborne in my opinion. He's a legitimate plug-and-play... and will compete for DROY honors as a rookie. Same as Von Miller and Clay Matthews. He instantly makes whatever defense he goes to better.

His physicality borders on brutality. He'll literally hurt people.

I've mentioned prior somewhere around here that I'd take Upshaw in the top 10 before I would Coples. I think Upshaw is a better player.... and I like Coples.
    Quote Quote  

5. -25

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    I feel like I've got a good handle on Coples. Even better handle on him after that bowl game. I'm not backing away from him, I'm sprinting toward him. Dominant player. Would you put him at 3-4 OLB? Ideally no but I wouldn't shy away from it either. It would depend on what else you have, what other resources and how you feel you have to best leverage them.

Cam Johnson is IMO a very interesting player. He looks like a linebacker in proportioning and even in some of his movements, but a jumbo sized linebacker. It's like how you don't realize some point guards or two guards are 6'6" until you stand them next to another normal/athletically proportioned human that is 6'0". That's how it strikes me when Cam stands next to his fellow teammate linebackers. Not unlike Allen Bailey, come to think on it.

I like players that break the mold a little. I'd like to see Cam stay at DE because I feel like he has the potential to make plays vs run and pass as a guy that can attack and shed, and get after the passer. Those dual threats are a little more rare than you'd think nowadays.

But, if you get him into LB drills and he kills it, I suppose I could be convinced to put him in space.

Cam Johnson reminds me a lot of Jarret Johnson when he was at Bama. I think Cam is a very similar prospect, and makes a similar pro.
    Quote Quote  

6. -26
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    None. I have zero doubt that Courtney Upshaw is the most dominant defensive player I've seen in college football this year, and most of last year too, behind only Marcell Dareus and Von Miller. He's the #2 defensive player in the draft behind Morris Claiborne in my opinion. He's a legitimate plug-and-play... and will compete for DROY honors as a rookie. Same as Von Miller and Clay Matthews. He instantly makes whatever defense he goes to better.

His physicality borders on brutality. He'll literally hurt people.

I've mentioned prior somewhere around here that I'd take Upshaw in the top 10 before I would Coples. I think Upshaw is a better player.... and I like Coples.
    Outside of trading up for A.Luck wouldn`t it, by a far margin, be our smartest move to draft him over any other player?
    Quote Quote  

7. -27
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Outside of trading up for A.Luck wouldn`t it, by a far margin, be our smartest move to draft him over any other player?
    I really like Upshaw, and I hear Seattle loves him to (want him as the elephant backer position CLay Matthews played at USC). I think come draft time he might get less press than he deserves depending on what underclassmen declare.

Other guys worth looking at in rounds 2 or 3 are Stanford's CHase Thomas, Boise's Shea McClellin, and Lindsey from Pitt I mentioned earlier.

In the late round (partly cause I know him) take a look at Adrian Robinson from Temple. Nice guy but dumber than a bunch of rocks.

Actually... this draft is nicer than I thought at OLB
    Quote Quote  

8. -28

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Completely agree. I think anytime you can get your hands on an elite pass rusher, you should just about always take him. Especially one as versatile as Upshaw.

Being able to affect the opposing team's quarterback is just as important as when the opposing team is able to affect yours. Upshaw isn't just a pass rusher though, he's a play maker. He's going to cause turnovers by forcing fumbles, and cause quarterbacks to make mistakes even when he doesn't quite register the sack.

He plays through pain. He plays hurt. I've seen his ankle so sprained he could barely even walk to the sidelines after forcing a 3-and-out, and still bringing it down after down getting after the quarterback.

Andrew Luck, Trent Richardson, and Morris Claiborne are really the only 3 players I would take over Upshaw.
    Quote Quote  

9. -29
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would be happy with Upshaw if the Dolphins can't get Luck (outside chance, of course).
    Quote Quote  

10. -30
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lah, lah land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Completely agree. I think anytime you can get your hands on an elite pass rusher, you should just about always take him. Especially one as versatile as Upshaw.

Being able to affect the opposing team's quarterback is just as important as when the opposing team is able to affect yours. Upshaw isn't just a pass rusher though, he's a play maker. He's going to cause turnovers by forcing fumbles, and cause quarterbacks to make mistakes even when he doesn't quite register the sack.

He plays through pain. He plays hurt. I've seen his ankle so sprained he could barely even walk to the sidelines after forcing a 3-and-out, and still bringing it down after down getting after the quarterback.

Andrew Luck, Trent Richardson, and Morris Claiborne are really the only 3 players I would take over Upshaw.
    You think T.Richardson is that much more valuable in a pass happy league and we have Bush and Thomas already? He's that much of a difference maker.
    Quote Quote